Avira Version 10, when?

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by trjam, Nov 16, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Phenom

Phenom Registered Member

Looks like Avira is falling off?

2. icr

icr Registered Member

Their proActive module is been on the BETA testing for quite sometime now and still has many problems to be fixed. Don't know if there is anything anything related to the proActive module which affects the stability of the software because that is what the avira team gave me the suggestion, to do custom installation and untick on proActive module but still it caused the problem and so I uninstalled avira I spare them because it still BETA but it really caused a hell of a slowdown when installed.:mad:

3. trjam

trjam Registered Member

my prediction that 2010 will not be kind to Avira is based on several factors. But I sincerly think it is not fiction.

4. bellgamin

bellgamin Registered Member

I would GUESS that it takes a LOT of time & effort to develop & debug a Behavior Blocker (BB).

Take Cyberhawk (CH), for example. CH was initially issued on/about late 2005. It is now known as Threatfire (TF). Over the nearly 5 years since CH/TF's inception, that BB program has been through numerous iterations, debugs, betas, versions, etc.

Ergo, I expect it will be a long while before Avira, on their own, can develop & debug a BB that will be anywhere near to achieving the effectiveness/stability of TF or Mamutu.

5. korben

korben Registered Member

Now when avast 5 has been released all eyes on: avira 10, but when?
    Hopefully sooner than later.

6. firzen771

firzen771 Registered Member

agreed, it will still be a good product, but it will loose a lot of the spotlight it had before and i feel Avast 5 will really take up that space in the spotlight for this year.

7. trjam

trjam Registered Member

it is also going to fall in its detection ability. Cant understand them, they had everything going their way, and I think someone has lost their vision.

8. trjam

trjam Registered Member

yes on Avast. MSE if Microsoft continues to grow it and I still think that a version 5 of Eset will be totally revamped. Also never count out what Kaspersky 2011 may bring. That is it for the AV products.

9. dews

dews Registered Member

wow guys take it easy *puppy*
    as long as we have " Stefan " he will improve the gerneric & heuristic rate so avira ver 10 will be the best security out there, it will detect even more then it does now i belive , why should they detect less ? hm

it's still a very good & strong antivirus and i belive & Hope it will continue that way.

10. Motherroad

Motherroad Registered Member

I really do not think we need too worry about Avira. They will maintain a place at the top. Avast or no Avast.

11. dcrowe0050

dcrowe0050 Registered Member

I have got Comodo time machine one my desktop and applied for an Avira beta testing license about a week ago and just heard back from them today. Ive never used any commercial avira products but I just installed this about an hour ago. If any one else is testing the beta I have a question, I have already reported to Avira but I have got no feedback yet.

Most of the program works great but when I tried to open the firewall configuration it terminates the program. Same thing with the webguard. I tried restarting the computer but this doesn't fix it. All the services are running and I can find no significant logs on the event. Any ideas?

12. Osaban

Osaban Registered Member

Lately people have been predicting the future based on personalities associated with specific companies and other very loose vagaries of the antivirus establishment (anyone remembers Dan and Denniz lab?).

I tend to think that virus signatures are based on precise mathematical algorithms, and Avira has the infrastructure and discipline (100 million free users) to remain if not on top at least second best for a long time. They've been steadily growing for years now, I don't see why all of a sudden this should stop. MSE being an excellent free AV, is going to motivate even further a healthy competition.

13. gery

gery Registered Member

so very well said trjam but to my best wishes i guess this is the dark era of AVIRA and they indeed need a Renaissance:oops: :oops: :oops:

14. Fly

Fly Registered Member

Why do you say that ? Just because of a lack of new features ?
    They seem to be doing well in the signatures and heuristics department.

15. andyman35

andyman35 Registered Member

I don't understand upon what basis you make such an assumption o_O

A beta stage for Avira 10 that's running for longer than some impatient folks wish is certainly no sign of a 'dark era',more so an increased likelihood of a stable end product IMO.Also the current Avira 9 is hardly dead on it's feet with excellent pro-active detection abilities.The doom and gloom is somewhat misplaced,the future looks very bright to me.

16. bellgamin

bellgamin Registered Member

It looks bright to me, too. Not all bananas are grown on trees. :cool:

When Avira releases ver 10, & it is as superb (or moreso) as Avira has always been, then these same nay-sayers will be saying, "I knew it all along."

Those who claim to know everything are quite annoying to those of us who actually DO. :blink:

17. Macstorm

Macstorm Registered Member

They don't have any, of course ;)

Im really having a very good laugh at these Nostradamus apprentices here 'cause this called "dark era" is only on their minds.

Now let's keep the fun going :D

18. Kees1958

Kees1958 Registered Member

Bellgamin, dear friend, a discussion with disjuncted arguments :D

Mamutu was developed really fast (fell down from a clear sky and surprised us all).

The developers of A2 (Mamutu) and Avira both speak german

So inevitably the behavioral blocker of Avira will be ready March 2010, just before the Cebit Messe starts :D

19. NAMOR

NAMOR Registered Member

My sources are telling me the same thing!!!!! 2010 will not be good for them (see pick below). :eek:

8ball.jpg

In all seriousness have they started on a 64 bit version yet?

20. gery

gery Registered Member

the all-know people better find something to answer to this one good question and stop being fanboys. I guess i am out of discussion and please do not say things that are never meant to be that way. I never did say i know everything nor i pretend to do so.

21. NAMOR

NAMOR Registered Member

My post wasn't direct toward anyone. Just a jib at Macstorm's comment.

22. NAMOR

NAMOR Registered Member

Dr.Web has released a 64bit version but, they did not implement a behavior blocker or HIPS with their suite. Look at A-Squared, Mamutu, or Online Armor, their 64 bit version BB's have been in development for a while now. Avast released version 5 and from what I last read the BB in the 64 bit version doesn't have complete rules yet, only the 32 bit one does. My guess is the Avira team is working on the 64 bit issue with the BB and we wont see a beta for it until it's ready.

23. trjam

trjam Registered Member

I think it is safe to say that a BB in 64 bit is tough. But no, you wont see it soon with the red.

24. NAMOR

NAMOR Registered Member

I think you are right. A lot of companies seem to be having issues with MS Patchguard.

25. dw2108

dw2108 Registered Member

I keep forgetting to remove my Netgear software before installing, and re-installing it after I load AV and exclude it. AV LOVES to eat Netgear! Major hassle.

Dave

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.