Avira update

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by trjam, Apr 18, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Graystoke

Graystoke Registered Member

Hmm, I wonder if anyone else had this happen to them?

2. Rickk

Rickk Registered Member

Me too. On laptop I have Avira Classic.
    After yesterday's update, asked me to reboot, so I did. No mention of having to go into control panel...

Used laptop for some work.

Then I checked in Control Panel / Add Remove / Avira / Modify, and just as you and antartica mentioned, root kit was not ticked. Simply ticked it and clicked next and Voila! Root kit is now installed.

I doubt anyone on this forum has Avira and no rootkit now.
    It may be different for other (ie. non Wilders) users?

3. Houley456

Houley456 Registered Member

Installed Avira Premium + rootkit....installed fine....started a scan and completed.....opened Mailwasher and computer crashed......tried to print from the internet and no go, no nothing......removed Avira, re-installed Kasp and all is fine...

4. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

When the update ran, I rebooted, as directed. Then at start the window opened, but I must have missed the box, although I thought I had checked the rootkit box. The next time I started the window came up again, and this time I did check the rootkit box. Since then all is well. I did not have to go into the Control Panel.

I have no complaints with Avira PP, and find it starts faster and the system is ready to use even faster than NOD or KAV.

Regards,
    Jerry

5. duke1959

duke1959 Very Frequent Poster

This also happened to me with Avira PP where after reboot no rootkit feature, but I believe Prevx1 may have prevented the complete installation somehow. Doing the Control Panel Modify method worked just fine though, and so far everything running well.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2007
  6. taytong888

taytong888 Registered Member

Antarctica,

Thanks for the tip. The last few days I have been having problems with updating Avira Personal Classic (Free) Edition, since it takes a very long time and even then the downloading is not completed. Today following your tip I made some headways but not quite there yet:

1) Downloaded latest software from Majorgeeks and installed it in Setup folder of Avira.
    2) Program automatically suggests Modify installation. Said Yes/OK.
    3) New window opens up > Ticked "AntiRootkit" > OK
    4) Error message: Installation failed > OK (#4 & 5 must be bugs)
    5) Error message: Installation failed > OK
    6) "Installation succeeded" > Finish > Reboot PC
    7) Clicked on Update: very slow for a ~22MB file. Ran into same update problem as before, i.e. automatic update does not complete. My file versions remain the same as before, i.e. that of April 18:

Definition file: 6.38.01.08 dated April 18
    Search engine: 7.03.01.53 dated April 18.

Is there another way to manually download the update files?

I would much appreciate receiving help from you and colleagues.

7. taytong888

Good news:

After re-reading some of the threads, I managed to be able to manually update the file, as shown below for the benefits of others:

1st) http://forum.avira.de/english
    2nd) http://www.avira.com/en/support/vdf_update.html
    3rd) http://dl.antivir.de/down/vdf/ivdf_fusebundle_nt_en (Step 3: Select IVDF Unicode for Win NT, XP)
    4th) Download the zipped file in Step 3 into Antivir PE Classic folder,but don't unzip it.
    5th) Avira Antivir PE Classic > Update > Manual
    6th) Go to the zipped file in Step 4 then Open

So now I am up to date, as far as virus definition goes:

Virus Def. File: 6.38.01.19 dated 4/20/07
    Search Engine: 7.03.01.53 dated 4/17/07 (unchanged?)

:D

8. Graystoke

Graystoke Registered Member

I checked the Avira forum earlier today, I didn't see any threads concerning this. Maybe I'll check back there later. Like Rickk said, I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of non Wilders users might not know about this.

EDIT.........Someone did start a thread about this over at the Avira forum.

http://forum.antivir.de/thread.php?threadid=20889

9. pilotart

pilotart Registered Member

In addition to the install of 'RootKit' you must enable it to be done at beginning of demand scan, tickbox on Configuration [Expert] scan page.

The Online Updating has been working very well here (on dial-up), considering what the server loads must be.

In addition to the six 'VDF's issued today, there were also new versions of avewin32.dll (Hueristic Engine), avgntflt.sys (minifilter driver) and avscan.exe (on-demand scan) as well.

10. taytong888

Hi pilotart,

Quote: In addition to the install of 'RootKit' you [GLOW="B"]must enable it to be done at beginning of demand scan[/GLOW], tickbox on Configuration [Expert] scan page.

I did not see anything about rootkit on Configuration page. Could you show this newbie how?

Thanks a lot for your help.

o_O

11. taytong888

Premature elation!!#@*&!

Found out that:

1. Cant scan files, 'cause SpecVir.dll could not be initialized.
    2. Current release info (from Search SpecVir.dll) indicates Rootkit detection on-demand scanner only available for new installation,not updates.
    3. Had to uninstall Antivir PE Classic (Add/Remove), cleaned up Registry, rebooted PC then re-installed.
    4. Downloaded IVDF_FUSEBUNDLE_NT_EN.
    5. Cant configure, scan, or update newly re-installed APE Classic.
    6. Cant even uninstall APE Classic via Add/Remove, or even a special uninstall program from AntiVir!

ARGGGGGhhhh!!!!

I wasted so much time on this beast. Forgot that I already got a few stand-alone Anti-Rootkit programs. Shame on me!

From now on, back to strictly antivirus softwares like NOD32, Avast or AVG.

:mad:

12. lodore

lodore Registered Member

nod32 has rootkit scanning as well so its not strictly an anvirius eiether
    lodore

13. Mele20

Mele20 Former Poster

Could you print something like a photo stored on your hard drive or a Word document, etc or was the print problem just with the internet? Yesterday, I rebooted and Windows announced it had found a new printer and installed it! Huh? I had no new printer but in the Printer folder I found TWO instances of my HP printer. I deleted the old one and I have not been able to print since. The printer prints tiny, tiny lines that I can't read or prints text and smudges on top of itself or prints a series of horizontal lines one inch apart down the page. BUT it prints a test page fine. Prints the horizontal lines though when I try to print a photo as well as Word documents or web pages.

I spent several hours troubleshooting it and finally had to request help from HP who told me a complicated, time consuming troubleshooting procedure to follow. I haven't had time yet to do it and I'm wondering if the problem may be Avira and if I uninstalled Avira if the printer would work. My printer was working fine just before Avira updated.

14. extratime

extratime Registered Member

Wow the update took over an hour to download and install, and this is after multiple connection errors.

15. Rickk

Rickk Registered Member

Taytong888,

You asked:
    According to the Avira forum, you verify if rootkit is enabled by accessing the Avira main control panel, then the "scanner" tab (2nd one from the left, on top). It will show if Rootkit search is enabled by default.

If this is shown, then you can tick "Rootkit search on search start" under Cofiguration, Expert mode, Scan / Scanner.

FYI, my control panel (Antivir Personal Classic) and Configuration both show the Rootkit options.
    No need to uninstall-re-install was necessary here.

16. Houley456

Houley456 Registered Member

I could only print a test page.....could not print from the internet or from a LAN printer....removed Avira and my Epson 1200 worked fine.....also, Mailwasher was back to normal.....

17. Mele20

Mele20 Former Poster

Thanks and wow! That sounds JUST LIKE me! I can print a test page just fine. Can't print anything else. The printer actually hangs about 50% of the time when trying to print. It hangs (not a paper jam) as the paper just starts to move inward and I can't clear the hang without a lot of hassle. The rest of the time, it tries to print but prints horizontal lines all down the page, etc. ...nothing readable. I thought it very strange that it can print a test page but nothing else. Maybe I will uninstall Avira first...tomorrow....must get some sleep now.

18. Jarmo P

Jarmo P Registered Member

I do doubt it was Antivir causing you that Mele20?

I sure needed to update my java yesterday to 1.6.
    So I did, but I was surprised it came so soon after installing the rootkit detection version of Antivir update.
    Must have been only coincidence for sure.

19. Mele20

Mele20 Former Poster

It's been confirmed by Avira that a bug caused many to not be able to print until the bug was fixed.

My problem with the printer is somewhat different. Dell, HP and I all think that uninstalling the rootkit driver did something bad. I didn't have print problems until right after I uninstalled the rootkit driver and Avira said to reboot. I rebooted and Windows said it had found new hardware and proceeded to install a SECOND instance of my printer. So, right there is where it started. Why did Windows not see the installed printer upon reboot after removing the rootkit driver? Why did it think I had new hardware?

Avira board is upsetting me. One of the mods keeps saying that Avira fixed the bug on the 19th. Well, if that was true then I got the update (as Avira was set to update hourly and did) and it didn't fix my problem.

I tried a system restore tonight to the restore point made just before the major Avira update. The restore was successful except Avira immediately popped up two errors about not being able to start. I tried to uninstall it and got an error so I can't run it and can't uninstall it. The printer still doesn't work but Dell and HP think that is likely due to damaged system files by something to do with the Avira update (probably the uninstall of the rootkit detector driver). Dell says I need to do a repair of Windows and HP told me that I should get a different AV. And the Avira mod says the problem was resolved on the 19th by an update so the mod thinks my printer problem has nothing to do with Avira. Coincidences can happen but I find it hard to believe that when the problem started on required reboot after removing Avira's rootkit detector driver that there is no connection between doing that and having a sudden major printer problem.

20. FastGame

FastGame Registered Member

Feel lucky, mine downloaded for an hour and keeps starting over, still don't have the update.......:rolleyes:

21. Jarmo P

Jarmo P Registered Member

I sure can feel sympathy to you Melelina.
    Not a hardcore Antivir user and I agree that I don't really like their forum.
    But wish you get your problems sorted out, me too with my aging eyes hard to read small print.
    Jarmo

22. aigle

aigle Registered Member

Mele20, I wonder if u don,t have a backup.
    Just restore a clean image, reinstall and if same problem, bug is confirmed.
    I can switch to another AV until bug corrected. It will save u from frustration and loosing ur time.

BTW I got couple of BSODs while trying to reinstall on previous verion. BSODs came whin I ried to modify the install to enable rootkit detection.
    I uninstalled in safe mode and did a clean install. That worked.

Last edited: Apr 22, 2007
  23. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

It's wonderful. All the servers are just plain dead all the freakin time.:rolleyes:

24. Pedro

Pedro Registered Member

I'm beginning to see what was all the talk about the servers. Or is it server?

25. Long View

Long View Registered Member

Glad to report no problems with Avira but then I don't run any other security programs which might conflict. It is possible to have too much of a good thing. My guess is that most problems caused here are caused by running too many unnecessary programs. KISS.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.