Avira update

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by trjam, Apr 18, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. coldplay

coldplay Registered Member

very slow to download now.

2. Blackcat

Blackcat Registered Member

I am downloading on a very fast cable connection at work and I am seeing transfer rates of 8KB/s!!!

3. Jarmo P

Jarmo P Registered Member

I got it 15 mins ago. It was a very long download and the size was according to report 11.16 MB.
    I was on a XP limited user account when the automatic update arrived, so after it was downloaded, Antivir asked that it needs a reboot which I did. Logging into my admin account after that.
    It asked to install that rootkit protector, so I disabled Processguard and let it install.

Then it asked a reboot again and that is it.
    All seems to be working fine here.

EDIT
    In the scanner tab is Rootkit search added. Added my hard drives to be checked and right clicked for scan to start. Scan was very fast and nothing found (of course or they would have been false positives).

4. Mele20

Mele20 Former Poster

Yeah. it took 29 minutes and toward the very end it seemed to hang and I thought "oh, no"! but it finally finished.

I had one small problem. I was not ready to reboot when it asked and chose to decline the reboot as I wanted to shut down two browsers and another application first. I had already shut down my virtual machine. I should have been ready to reboot when asked because Firefox froze when I tried to shut it down. The other browser closed ok but my third application also froze. So, a word to the wise be ready to reboot when asked.

I was very impressed with how smooth this big update went (even with the minor snag I had with applications not shutting down for the reboot).

I got really scared though when the rootkit detector found something!!! Until I looked more closely and saw that it was a False Positive which I have reported to Avira. Anyone with Microsoft's Private Folder will have that reported as a rootkit (until Avira fixes it).

5. flinchlock

flinchlock Registered Member

My download took about 5 minutes. :D

I sure wish they would publish the md5sum on the web site. :(

Here is what I have for 7.00.04.13 (17,176,744 bytes)...

8887cf506100a39250474bf418859050 *antivir_workstation_win7u_en_h.exe

Also, mine did not ask for a reboot... first time install on a rebuilt XP machine.

Of course, the update failed due to I assume very busy servers... 11:04 minutes... finally worked.

Mike

Last edited: Apr 19, 2007
  6. DaveD

DaveD Registered Member

RejZoR,

You are always so quick to point out your opinion of that notifier popup. That is your opinion and I do respect your opinion. However, I would like to point out that I had completely forgot about that notifier popup until you mentioned it because I haven't seen it for 3-4 months since having blocked it. You only have to block it once and then you are good to go. It is then smooth sailing from that point on, with the exception of these slow servers during large updates.

The amount of customization with scheduling that you can do with AntiVir PE when it comes to updates, scanning hard drives, scanning processes is quite amazing for it being a free product. And now with the addition of rootkit detection added to PE instead of just for the paid version is quite a bonus.

Cheers,
    Dave

7. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

All went well, and if I can do it without problems it must be VERY SMOOTH.

Jerry

8. trjam

trjam Registered Member

Oh, it is very smooth. The Avira team, really shined through on this one.:)

9. huntnyc

huntnyc Registered Member

I was running the beta of the suite and had a little problem with update so I uninstalled and reinstalled the release build and all is very smooth. I don't really know why I had the problem or if I had been running the previously released version if I would have had the same problem. But, I am glad for the smooth update experience of so many and am happy with how smoothly it is running on my laptop.

Gary

10. Engelhardt

Engelhardt Registered Member

Update went great. If I hadn't checked the version this morning I would not have known the difference. I'm not going to purchase the Suite though. $52.00 is a little more then I want to pay. Besides I still have a year left on my KIS lic and KIS 7 looks awsome.

11. Antarctica

Antarctica Registered Member

Do we have to remove previous version before installing the new one?
    Thanks

12. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

No, I just let it update normally, then rebooted. Upon reboot there was a window that gave the option to install the anti-rootkit component. It was very simple.

Best,
    Jerry

13. Antarctica

Thanks Jerry.:)

14. Graystoke

Graystoke Registered Member

Last night I uninstalled the beta Avira SS, and installed my licensed copy of Avira SS just to see how the update would work. The update went as smooth as silk. It took about 5 minutes, including the restart. I have cable internet service with Comcast. Avira SS is purring away as smoothly as ever. :D

15. MalwareDie

MalwareDie Registered Member

In the configuration, there is a box for search master boot sectors. Can anyone tell me if this wil increase the detection rate?

16. trjam

trjam Registered Member

It doesnt increase the rate, but increases what parts are scanned. I think.:eek:

17. Riverrun

Riverrun Registered Member

I noticed that too Malware. I'm waiting for a reply from some knowledgeable person.

My first attempted install failed. That was 5 hours ago. Tried again just recently and it blazed through. The rootkit feature is really neat and scan time is only a few minutes.

Really pleased with it. I can see myself staying with Avira for the foreseeable future.

:thumb:

18. trjam

trjam Registered Member

well I am just the janitor, but you might want to ask here

19. Mele20

Mele20 Former Poster

I just read at dslreports about ANOTHER Microsoft product being detected as a Rootkit by Avira. :D

The rootkit detection driver causes a STOP error on boot for me so I guess I can't use it for now.

20. bugsy_pal

bugsy_pal Registered Member

My system tried to update, but it failed again at the end - it said no connection could be found for the file "avcmd.exe.gz". This is the same error I have been getting for months, on and off.

Lats week, for the first time I was able to downlaod this file as part of an update - this was after putting in a support request with my ISP, and being told that they could do nothing to help me. It just started working for some reason. Now it's failing again with this file.

I tried the manual update package - but that took my virus definitions up to 19/4, and my virus engine from 18/4 back to 17/4.

So I don't know how I can get the full update. Does anyone know if the base installer downlaodable from their servers has been updated?

21. InfinityAz

InfinityAz Registered Member

If you're running Classic (i.e., free version) you can download the new version from several places (e.g., majorgeeks), run the installer, select update, reboot, run update to get latest definitions, and you're all set to go.

This will help avoid any problems connecting to the update servers.

22. FRug

FRug Registered Member

bugsy_pal: are you saying that you _always_ get interrupted when downloading that specific file? avcmd.exe.gzo_O

23. Graystoke

This is strange. I just turned my PC on, and I got a pop up from Avira saying that Rootkit is available, and do I want to install it. I thought I did that yesterday. I clicked ok anyway, the install started and finished. When I opened the Avira GUI, there is no Rootkit listed. I'm sure it used to be listed in the Scanner section. In Configuration>Scan>Additional Settings, scan boot sectors and search master boot sectors is listed.

24. Graystoke

Update..........I went to Add/Remove in Control Panel, clicked on Change for Avira SS, clicked Modify, and the box for Rootkit was not checked. I checked it, clicked next, and now Rootkit is installed. It is listed in Additional Settings and in the Scanner section. Why it wasn't installed with yesterdays updates and with the one today, I don't know. I get bad feelings when things like this happen. What bad things will happen next? :cautious:

25. Antarctica

Hi Graystoke,
    same thing append to me yesterday but so far everything else is working smooth.:)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.