avira update TCP:Allow port 53

Discussion in 'LnS English Forum' started by cet, Jan 23, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cet

cet Registered Member

I was able to update Avira Antivirus since 4 days ago.Look and Stop firewall started to give alerts and I could not update Avira.I saw TCP:Allow port 53 alerts(many) so I decided to allow port 53 and Avira began to update.
    My question is : Does allowing ''TCP:Allow port 53'' this rule give any harm to my computer,are there any restrictions or rules to apply.Thanks in advance.

Attached Files:

2. Nebulus

Nebulus Registered Member

I don't allow TCP port 53 through my firewall and Avira Personal updates just fine (well, as long as I don't update during peak hours, that is... :) ). So I really doubt that your update problems are in any way related to TCP port 53 blocking.
    Avira tries to connect to your DNS server(s) on TCP port 53. While DNS usually uses only UDP, there are some rare cases when it falls back to TCP port 53. In conclusion: connecting to TCP port 53 to your DNS server doesn't harm your computer, but I'm not sure that it's related somehow with your impossibility to update Avira.

3. Frederic

Frederic LnS Developer

To be safer, you could associate the Avira Antivirus (or just its updater program) to the rule, so the port will be open only during the update.

Regards,

Frederic

4. cet

cet Registered Member

Is this the right way to do this:Or do I have to remove the applications from the right side?

Attached Files:

5. Frederic

Frederic LnS Developer

Yes, if "product updater" is the application used to perform Avira updates, it is the right way to do it (it is strange "Avira" doesn't appear in the application name).
    Anyway, if you didn't select the right application, the rule will not be enabled, and you will experiment the initial issue again. So if it works, it should be Ok.

Frederic

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.