Avira suite or Nod32 + Firewall?

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by light50, Mar 28, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. light50

light50 Registered Member

unfortunately.. the avira suite doesn't work well on my system, as a free av it is great, but some components from the suite simply do not run. I like kaspersky, and since i discovered the source of some problems i was having i am willing to keep working with it. Apart from having a great product kaspersky also offers great support, adding new signatures within a new virus within hours, and great forum.

Having a bit of alcohol in my head right now i'm going to sleep...still, i am willing to try the eset smart security suite, so if i'll be able to get my hands on a beta version i will try it out and then decide. Probably i'll go with kaspersky anyway but you know.. i'll give eset a try, either way they are both great products.

2. yafay

yafay Registered Member

it is really a hard decision to make~
    both are great. but i think i like nod32 better.

3. light50

I can't wait too long, i'm only having trial avs, and considering the issues with eset's beta and also that kaspersky is working good on my machines i think i'll go with kaspersky. I'll decide when the trial is about to finish.

4. ankupan

ankupan Registered Member

If you like Kaspersky than you can buy from http://www.systweak.com/ at very cheap price.

5. light50

Bought it, great deal.

Thanks ankupan

6. trjam

trjam Registered Member

Not me, the suite is a more secure combo then Nods lower detection ability and another firewall.

7. light50

Hi trjam,

I bought kaspersky suite, i had the av before and just fell in love with it and i just trust them, their forums are great and really helpful. But i'm also trialling the avira suite, the problem i mentioned before was because i was running the demo version without a trial key and i'm finding it great.

99% i will use kaspersky on my pc and but the avira suite for my laptop since I just like them both and found great help even on the avira forums. I said 99% because i am waiting to have an idea what eset will offer and don't want to rush things for now. When i tried nod there were some things which i didn't like at all so i'm going to see if they have been resolved.

8. trjam

trjam Registered Member

Hey, as long as Avira is on one of your computers. :) You will find web browsing is a lot faster with Avira.:rolleyes:

9. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

any evidence of this?

because i think not

10. light50

it does feel a bit faster, but i also think it should, since avira doesn't scan http. Still.. it's not something that should deter someone from using kaspersky

11. trjam

trjam Registered Member

Disagree Chris, hell Avira doesnt scan HTTP, and I am beginning to think it isnt a big deal. Proof? Just my own. Hey, Kaspersky is really great in areas, but I think if you look real hard, you will see others have complained of this. I even think Lodore stated he had to put his in high mode to speed it up.

12. lodore

lodore Registered Member

ye i did have to put webav on highmode to speed up http scanning.
    anyway drweb doesnt have http scanning yet its only in beta.
    i have tryed the antivir beta suite on windows 2k pro today.
    i found a bug.
    problem with exit button on right click menu.
    lodore

13. lu_chin

lu_chin Registered Member

Nod32 + Firewall + anti-spam = the newly available Eset Smart Security public beta 1.

:D

14. trjam

trjam Registered Member

Until they iron out some of the bugs, I wouldnt even consider it. I still think Aviras is better.

15. ASpace

ASpace Guest

Even though it has been a day only since it was released , the bugs are only minor ones and I prefer it over any other product :thumb:

16. trjam

trjam Registered Member

I would not say firewall issues are minor. But given some time, it is going to be great. But it does need some work, as Eset said upfront.:)

17. light50

You can't compare a beta product with others :)

eset seems like its going to be a light suite with a great av and a firewall, non intrusive while offering good protection.

18. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

sure but they need to sort out that boot up time, its the worst on the market as it stands now.

sure, you can say beta... but its still been in the making for over a year, probably well over a year, so even for a beta, its not the best.

19. Graystoke

Graystoke Registered Member

Not to bash Eset, but why didn't they make the configuration of scheduled scans easier. It's basically the same as NOD32 2.7. What's wrong with just entering the time, the day of the week, if weekly, and what drive you want scanned? Every AV I've run does it this way except NOD. I tried several times last night to get a scheduled scan to run, but couldn't. I finally gave up and uninstalled it.

I'm sorry. End of rant.

20. huntnyc

huntnyc Registered Member

@Graystoke

I am with you on that observation about the ESS UI. I am running the beta Avira suite again and it is so smooth at this point and the interface is clean and nice. Also, I don't like the way the Antispam is so far in ESS. Although Avira should think about integrating theirs, it works fairly well and now training is possible.

Anyway, Avira also not scanning http does not mess with my browsing which I like also.

Gary

21. Graystoke

Graystoke Registered Member

Yeah huntnyc, I have the beta Avira suite back again also. I had to give the new Eset beta a try just to see what it was like. Hard to beat the ease of use and performance of Avira.

22. huntnyc

Amen to that.

Gary

23. Albinoni

Albinoni Registered Member

Lets face the truth, NOD32 is prob if not the lightest resource AV out there on the market and to be truthful here its far lighter than KAV or Avira.

24. trjam

trjam Registered Member

Respectfully disagree.

25. huntnyc

I agree with you also trjam.

Gary

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.