Avira Software Has Gone To The Dark Side

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by hayc59, Jun 13, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. trjam

trjam Registered Member

get real, Avira detects a ton more malware then Avast without having to have all the fluff modules added by Avast.:blink:

2. Coccinelle

Coccinelle Registered Member

Somme test yes, but we are here to talk about AskToollbar.

3. cm1971

cm1971 Registered Member

And Uniblue. :thumbd:

4. trjam

trjam Registered Member

well, I guess it really comes down to, its their company, they can do what they want to. And you, as a customer, can do whatever you want to. The rest is just the filler of a Big Mac.

5. Coccinelle

Yes if they do that i've been missing Avira Free and chouse the best for me.

6. Trespasser

Trespasser Registered Member

This is not a good development on Avira's part. Whenever I ran Windows (XP, Vista or Win 7) I always used AntiVir because it was the best with regards to detection. But now, with their developing ties to UniBlue and this Ask toolbar, well, I feel sorry for them. Things must be bad or getting bad over in their main office. Avira knows better than to do something like this but wanting or needing more cash flow can make good people do desperate things. Sorry to see them sinking to this level.

Later...

7. Osaban

Osaban Registered Member

Avira over the years has been attacked for all sorts of things including the very honorable sin of sustaining a charity. Nagging screens that only take a click to clear have always caused concern among people who got used to a free meal, and a year ago or so a group of members went even further alleging spyware was being coded into the free Avira (ultimately proved to be a conspiracy theory).

The truth is that Avira is a great product, at a great price (including free for millions of users), and if you don't like it free or not, there are other choices available.

I'm fine with it, and I pay for my licenses. Some people expect to run somebody else's business without paying a cent and in perfect anonymity, casting moral judgments to people who have a good name, a career, a living to make, and in most of cases a lot of talent. Is it fair?

8. Coccinelle

Can you say that to forum of Avast :D

9. trjam

trjam Registered Member

no it isnt fair. Just like what Joe and Prevx had to endure with the Webroot acquisition. Now the final product is coming out as Webroot and all those who swore they would bail, are signing up for the beta.

Prevx is stronger now because of it. Avira has to compete against some big money and yet they still milk the most syrup out of a hogs ass. They know what they are doing and if you are a paying customer you have no concerns. If you like the free you now have a broader choice.

10. cm1971

cm1971 Registered Member

It's not fair whenever I paid for it and they try to push Uniblue on me. Do you honestly think that is fair for their paying customers?

11. Tarnak

Tarnak Registered Member

Marketing, Marketing, Marketing ....Location, Location, Location....ho hum! ;)

P.S. I have nothing against Avira. I have never used their software.

12. trjam

trjam Registered Member

Again, choose what you are happy with and what keeps you safe, thats all.

13. cm1971

cm1971 Registered Member

If no one speaks out when companies are involved in shady practices then nothing will ever change.

14. The Hammer

The Hammer Registered Member

Look at my sig and you will see I have a 64 bit OS but without your issues..

15. ESS474

ESS474 Registered Member

If anyone need the very basic protection offered by Avira free, maybe try use "NoNotifyAvira" for block the nags of Uniblue and not install the WebGuard offered by SP2 and will continue for use as is today. ;)

16. cheater87

cheater87 Registered Member

Sent the link to the article to my friend and he switched over to Comodo.

17. The Hammer

I've yet to receive such an email.

18. cm1971

cm1971 Registered Member

There is a thread on Avira's forum about it so apparently many have.

19. The Hammer

Your asked about receiving promotions during the install aren't you? I said no? I just thought I'd point that out.;)

20. Osaban

Osaban Registered Member

Same here. A bit of info about this evil:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ask.com

I don't care one way or another, but it doesn't seem to be any different from other search engines.

21. cm1971

cm1971 Registered Member

I guess at the end of the day we will just have to agree to disagree then. I don't condone this and you have no problem with it so I will just leave it at that.

22. The Hammer

Actually a few posts back I said I didn't condone Avira's move. If I was using the free version I wouldn't install the web guard. As for why I don't get the Uniblue emails well let me just say I read before I click.

23. Osaban

Osaban Registered Member

I'm a paying customer, and nobody so far (almost 4 years with Avira Premium) has pushed anything through their e-mails (e-mails which I have specifically authorize to send). Now even if they asked me if I considered buying another product bundled with Avira, my answer would be yes or no; a far cry from "pushing" anybody to do anything against their will.

I could give you half a dozen examples of honorable names of companies I bought software from who continuously use my purchase e-mail to try to market other products, it is a common commercial practice which "so far" hasn't been adopted by Avira.

24. cm1971

cm1971 Registered Member

See my last reply to The Hammer. We are going in circles so I'll just agree to disagree. Peace Out.

25. Ibrad

Ibrad Registered Member

Well doing the first part is against the TOS of Avira. I disagree with showing of these ads on updates but I am also against breaking the TOS to stay away from them.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.