Avira setup, new user

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by nixie21, Feb 2, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nixie21

nixie21 Registered Member

I decided to give Avira free a try out...

Can someone point me to a thread that has some settings I should set? I see posts about 'medium' for guard, but do not see where to set that. Also I know there is a way to disable the nag screen as well, but can not find that either...

Thanks so much!

2. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

3. MalwareDie

MalwareDie Registered Member

When I am back home ill give you the settings that I use.

4. nixie21

Thanks...

5. MalwareDie

check off expert mode in the configuration. Expand the scan tab under the scanner tab. I set it at all files, and have checked scan memory. I have not checked scan boot sectors of selected drives because it only scans the boot sectors of your drives and I am unsure if it will result in a change of performance. Also have not checked ignore offline files and I put scanner priority at high. Then under the actions for concerning files tab, I set it at automatic. I checked copy file to quarantine before action with my primary action as delete and secondary action to rename. Under the archives tab, I have checked all boxes except limit recursion depth. under the heuristic tab, i checked the macroheuristic box and the win32 file heuristic and set it at high. If you don't like too many false positives i guess you can set it at medium. To send files to Avira for analysis to check for false positives, send it to heuristik2@avira.com. now expand the guard tab and the scan tab under that. I have it at scan when reading and writing, all files, and ahve checked local drives and unpack runtime compressed files. Under heuristic for the guard, I have set it exactly for heuristic under scanner. Expand the general tab and click the extended threat categories tab and check select all. Under the security tab, set it to alert if last update is older than 1 day and check the protect configuration box. Then push ok do not push cancel as your new settings will not be saved if you do so.

6. nixie21

Thanks for this!

7. MalwareDie

no problem.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.