Avira Security Suite

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by Badcompany, Dec 8, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Badcompany

Badcompany Registered Member

Hello Forum,
    Does anyone know which firewall Avira Security Suite uses, or is it there own.
    Badcompany.

2. trjam

trjam Registered Member

It is their own, they created it.

3. Badcompany

Hi Trjam,
    Going to install the suite today,have you had any problems.
    BC.

4. trjam

trjam Registered Member

not a one. I will say with the firewall be careful setting it to high, because it can conflict with other programs. Try it and you have issues, bring it down a notch. Other then that, enjoy the suite and the protection.

5. Badcompany

Thanks for the info.
    BC.

6. Banshee

Banshee Registered Member

Any of you avira users had problem with the umbrella icon ?

Many ppl complain/complained that the "umbrella" stays closed even if it should be open..

7. trjam

trjam Registered Member

Yes, I have heard of issues with it staying closed in reference to other programs installed. Mainly Prevx1.

8. Banshee

Trjam, looks like it's more than a prevx1 problem.Some even dumped the program because of that :eek:

9. trjam

trjam Registered Member

Well conflicts do happen and I have tried a lot of programs with the suite and that is the only one I had a issue with. I guess knowing what the program is, that had the issue might help to. And as far as dumping, can you point me in the direction of that thread please. Thanks.

10. Banshee

It's in the German forum over at antivir-pe.de. Plenty of complaints there :)

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 13, 2006
  11. trjam

trjam Registered Member

Well, I dont speak German, bit I did sleep at a Hoilday Inn last night.:rolleyes:

But I have no doubt there are issues, just like with all the other vendors products out there.

12. BVKH

BVKH Registered Member

Hi trjam @ Banshee,

trjam thought I would finally join you here,:) it’s been to long. Re the closed umbrella you Banshee are discussing, there can be many reasons. (Other real time Guards running not just AV`s) Ewido could be an example. But this is a very individual thing and I feel that most software issues arise from individual PC configuration and running application conflicts / setup. Please do not get me wrong, I fully realize that with any software there can be issues, and am not saying otherwise. One should use software that works for you and that gives confidence in its performance. On a personal note re Antivir as this is the topic heading, I can say that over the years I have used it I have never had any issues and this has encompassed Antivir Classic > Premium and the new suite. But then many would say the same about NOD32 > Norton > Trend > Kaspersky > AVG etc. Each to his own, but I recommend the new Avira Premium Security Suite without hesitation, it is very solid, you just have to look at the tests at AV Comparitives.

@ Badcompany Re the Avira incorporated Firewall this was one reply from shieldsup to a test I ran.
    Sorry for the long post.

Best Regards
    BVKH

13. Banshee

BVKH, you wrote :

----
    @ Badcompany Re the Avira incorporated Firewall this was one reply from shieldsup to a test I ran.

Sorry for the long post.

Best Regards
    BVKH

----

Talking about firewalls.Hows the avira one vs , say, Comodos or Ouposts ?

Is it good ?

14. Defenestration

Defenestration Registered Member

I thought Avira OEM'd the Comodo firewall. I can't remember for sure where I read it but I think it was somewhere on the Avira website.

However, don't quote me on that :)

15. BVKH

BVKH Registered Member

Hi Banshee,

I am sure there are more qualified to answer you, but with regard to Comodo I suspect it is on par with Kerio, ZA etc. I did try Outpost and found it did the job but sometimes rule setting did not stick, so started getting repetitive pop ups. You have to remember that the Avira Firewall is not a third party firewall it comes as just one module within a security suite. It is very user friendly with a good understandable tabbed GUI. It has got exhalant default settings so the novice will be protected as soon as it is installed. But it is also very versatile with many tweaks and advanced setting, which would suite the more experienced user. I myself want to know what software is trying to leave my pc as well as enter it. So to answer your question I would say it is exhalant :D :D :D not just good.:thumb:

Regards
    BVKH

16. Banshee

@ Defenestration and BVKH,

would you mind posting some screenshots of the avira firewall ? advanced settings etc ?

Thanks

17. dbrisendine

dbrisendine Registered Member

Anyone using the current suite know if the firewall settings can be changed by just the Admin account or by any user of the system? When I was testing the beta it only let users with Admin privileges to change the rules; since I am part of my company's domain, they have local users set as Power Users and the AntiVir suite would not let me change the firewall rules. Is this still the sameo_O?

18. smustaca

smustaca AV Expert

Only Admins can change the Security Level, edit the Adapter Rules and change the global Firewall Settings .
    Any user is allowed to deactivate the firewall for himself (not for the entire System) and change his Application Rules.

If an Admin wants to prevent users to deactivate the firewall, a password can be now configured.
    The users will have to enter a password in order to be able to open the Control Center.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.