Avira Rescue System Beta Released

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by TheKid7, Dec 15, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TheKid7

TheKid7 Registered Member

The Avira Rescue System Beta was released recently. I found out about it with this early review (No Malware Cleaning Test) Youtube video.

-http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pVym8fb0axA

The following are some major points that I saw in the above Youtube video:

1. Completely new GUI.
    2. Ubuntu based.
    3. Registry Editor.
    4. Firefox Web Browser.
    5. TeamViewer.
    6. Ubuntu File Browser.

I have not yet downloaded it. It is an early Beta release. You need to register with Avira to be able to download the new Avira Rescue System Beta. The file size was reported in the above Youtube video to be 477 MBytes.

2. Brandonn2010

Brandonn2010 Registered Member

3. Macstorm

Macstorm Registered Member

I'm glad they are improving this tool. It seems the current version suffers from some glitches.

4. PJC

PJC Very Frequent Poster

Trying it, as we speak...:)

5. TheKid7

I just gave it a try. The Scan Speed is about 5% faster than the current official release version, which is not that significant.

6. PJC

PJC Very Frequent Poster

In terms of Scanning Speed, is there a faster Live CD than the Avira Rescue System?

7. TheKid7

I think that the Avira Rescue System has the fastest scan speed. I have not tried all of the Antivirus Rescue CD's, but I have tried the major ones (Avira, Kaspersky, Dr.Web, Bitdefender). It seems like the Panda Rescue CD was quite fast, but I don't think that it was as fast as Avira.

8. TheKid7

I found out that the new Avira Rescue System CD will support both "wired" and "wireless".

9. PJC

PJC Very Frequent Poster

That's my impression, too. :thumb:

10. TheKid7

I see that Avira has just added an updated version of the Avira Rescue CD Beta. It is nice to see that it is being steadily developed.

11. TheKid7

I'm still waiting for the new Beta to download. Avira shows a changelog which is dated December 18, 2012.

12. TheKid7

The new Beta Development appears to be still moving along.

I would "guess" that it will be officially released sometime in February 2013. This estimate of release is ONLY a "Guess".

13. TheKid7

The new Beta Development is still moving along.

I would "guess" that it will be officially released either in late February 2013 or March 2013. This estimate of release is ONLY a "Guess".

14. Trespasser

Trespasser Registered Member

Just tried it on our main Desktop running Windows 8 Pro 64 bit. The first thing it did was update the data base (ethernet connection). And, unlike Kaspersky's Rescue CD, it didn't leave its virus data base behind on C drive after the reboot. It took slightly over 30 minutes to scan 125615 files. It is indeed based on Ubuntu, Unity 2D bar and all. Don't know which version, though. I didn't notice any Settings subsection in order to tweak the scan. All it asked was which drive (C or D) did I want scanned.

I liked it.

Later...

15. TheKid7

The Beta Development is still moving along.

I don't know when it will be out of Beta.

16. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

Registry editor might come in handy. I hate working with registry through CMD...

17. Antimalware18

Antimalware18 Registered Member

I like the fact that they integrated Team viewer, this tool will come in handy for my family members that don't live to close to me... if they ever get infected that is :D

any idea if theres any function like "Windowsunlocker" that's in Kaspersky rescue disk?

18. er34

er34 Guest

Let me advise you something about TeamViewer type remote support software and family member.

It might sound good at first but actually this is very bad idea. I recommend you never tell your non-computer savvy relatives about the existence of remote support software. Because you tell and show them about this, once you remotely fix their small or not so small issues, they won't stop calling about each and every stupid question or problem they have. They will get on top of your head and won't stop. This is what my experience shows from both many relatives I have helped with TV and from the many clients. You will be asked about why my Facebook don't open, or why this ad about apples appears on Facebook, do the guys at my ISP contal the Facebook, how do I start that game, why the other program can't be close, where do I shut down the machine and each and every time the second sentence would be - please, log in remotely to my computer and fix it or show me. Tens of times per month. At the end, when you see their names written on the phone's display, you won't want to pick up the phone. I am also sure you won't want to tax your relatives or friends about providing remote support. :D

So, to conclude - do not ever mention a relative/friend about remote login , remote support, Team Viewer or other... :)

19. ZeroDay

ZeroDay Registered Member

Haha, good advice :thumb:

20. Antimalware18

Antimalware18 Registered Member

I sadly know about this already, they wont quit calling lol

21. Durad

Durad Registered Member

Does it scan MBR for rootkits?

22. anon

anon Registered Member

Off topic:

March 13, 2013:
    Avira Ranked #1 in Innovation, According to ABI Research

* =

23. Macstorm

Macstorm Registered Member

24. TheKid7

Another Beta version release.

I don't know when it will be out of Beta.

25. Trespasser

Trespasser Registered Member

I've got it. This version also scans the registry. They did warn to make an image backup of your system before trying it, though, since it is a new feature.

Seems to be getting better and better.

Later...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.