Avira Premium

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by luciddream, Jul 1, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. luciddream

luciddream Registered Member

I'm talking about just the AV here, not the suite. When you're installing it does it allow you to select which modules you wish to install? So if somebody wanted it to be just like the Personal version they could de-select the Web Guard and other modules as they see fit, with no adverse effects?

The Personal version runs so light on my computer. With NoScript, WOT, safe browsing habits and low specs I have little need or want for Web Guard. I'd pay for the Personal version with better update servers and no nags/toolbars. That would be my ideal product. So basically, I'd like to turn the Premium into the Personal, as crazy as that may sound.

Also, how light is the Proactive module? I would consider keeping that, since I hear it's working better now.

2. Mongol

Mongol Registered Member

During the setup process you can choose to do a full install or choose which modules you want. The proactive module for me has run as light as all the others...:D

3. guest

guest Guest

I am using now premium suite but for long time I had premium running and I can assure you: yes indeed, you can disable webguard and also proactive.

I don't know about that. But a few things: 1. proactive is only available with 32-bit. - 2. It produced on my 32-bit system only one event in over one year, and that was a false positive .. else it seemed to me "dead" (doing nothing, never ringing an alarm ;)) - 3. In the past months lots of people had big problems with high cpu use which you could stop only if uninstalling proactive (or installing a fix you had to beg for on their forum).

I am using webguard (don't feel it is slowing my browsing with FF5 too much, sometimes it has false positives though) and also again proactive. Just try if it is really faster on your system leaving them off, maybe with trial version? -Then you will see that you can chose which features you want to install (I am not using mailguard for example).

4. luciddream

Yeah I was thinking of trialing Premium, but wanted to make sure I could customize it like that before going through the process. I heard a few people mention that since the SP2 update the Proactive module is "doing stuff" now. So you're saying that's not the case for you?

I'm using XP Pro SP3 and have only 1 GB of ram. With tweaking I'm getting every bit of that 1 gig though. My PC is actually fast, but I want it to stay that way. I doubt the Proactive module will be in my install. I don't want anything that may bloat my system down, even if it is working. I'll try the Web Guard out to see if it has a noticeable, negative impact during the test run. If it's light I'll hang onto it.

5. guest

guest Guest

SP2 is only a few days old. - And I am doing no "shady" things with my system (which is always updated and protected etc.) so it's no surprise that proactive (something that comes only to play when detection by signatures in the first place didn't work) didn't find anything in the past days. So I can only tell you I am experiencing no slow downs (or can't feel them) because of proactive right now or any other problems. If you could provide links that show that proactive since SP2 is more active I would be glad btw.

That are the reasons why I use Avira as I feel it's very fast (very slow opening of GUI aside). ;) - Good luck with your premium test but I guess anyway you will have no (speed) problems. ;)

6. trjam

trjam Registered Member

I have had no issues with SP2.

7. luciddream

The light footprint is also what I loved about Personal. If I can get that out of Premium then it's worth paying for... features, smeachers. Guard is the real guts of AntiVir.

On the first page of the active "Avira SP2" thread two people mentioned that Proactive was working better now since the SP2 update. That's where I got it from.

For some reason I thought I recalled Comodo Firewall giving me an alert that the Premium version of Avira was incompatible with it, perhaps due to overlapping features? It may have been the paid version of Avast though. I can't recall for sure.

And about buying it... I see that on Amazon you can get it cheaper, but the dates of the boxes are from like June, 2010. I assume that the clock starts the moment you enter the registration key though, and this is irrelevant? Still, I'd like to have a more up to date installer. So I think I'll trial it then order a key if I like it. Oh, about that... if you buy it do they send you a disc in the mail, or just email you a key? I'd prefer the latter actually.

Appreciate all the help.

8. Mongol

Mongol Registered Member

You can just get a key. You can also easily re-download it at the license site.

9. Osaban

Osaban Registered Member

Not so crazy really. This is the way I use it most of the time. Avira Premium is a versatile product allowing a wide range of choices through its "change/modify" feature available in "Programs and Features"(Vista here).

I don't ever use webguard as I'm running either sandboxed or virtualized, but there are times when I activate the main guard for I need real time monitoring of files downloaded from other computers: it saves a lot of time compared to on demand scans. If I'm not busy I'll just dis-activate the main guard making my machine slightly faster.

10. The Hammer

The Hammer Registered Member

WebGuard hasn't slowed down my netbook at all and I have 1GB of ram.

11. Kernelwars

Kernelwars Registered Member

is the proactive thing working for u?:doubt:

12. The Hammer

The Hammer Registered Member

I guess so although it's been quiet.

13. 0strodamus

0strodamus Registered Member

I'm running Avira 10 Premium (AV only) on Windows XP SP3 without the web or email guards installed. I've never had an issue and now with SP2, I was able to add ProActive to my custom install.

14. Kernelwars

Kernelwars Registered Member

anyone seeing the proactive in action.. please provide screenshots:argh:

15. GmG

GmG Registered Member

16. 0strodamus

0strodamus Registered Member

Does anyone know if Avira provides a test application to verify that the ProActive module is working? Sort of like EICAR, but for ProActive detection?

17. luciddream

I run FF sandboxed as well with NoScript, ABP & WOT, through secure DNS. And I'm a safe end user that isn't out there digging through shady sites and downloading random things. I haven't had a Web Guard for the past 7 years and haven't been compromised. I will test it out during a trial though just out of curiosity, and see how light it is in case I change my mind later on.

Same with Proactive. I wonder if it would find anything a HIPS wouldn't shoot down in the first place anyway, rendering it moot? I know I have no use for the Mail Shield.

So in the end I'd end up with the Personal version with Premium update servers and no nags. Sounds like my ideal AV :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.