Avira Premium Security Suite Version 9 Beta

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by trjam, Dec 22, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

lol, what is wrong with you? even when i comment about a different antivirus that was already mentioned in the thread, you still bring Drweb into the thread?
    :rolleyes:

...thats just wrong.

---

Sorry to rain on your parade, but

avira will win on nothing but detection, which you call 'protection', i call it 'detection' not 'protection', yet other companys dont need to offer false-methods of detection to gain points, their detection rates are completely false, if they lived and operated their business like everyone else, it would be mediocre detection, with NO technologys, the best AV of 2008?... no, the worst, as long as your trust AV scores well at Av-Comparatives you wont dismiss it, people said the same about Trend Micro pulling out of VB100, yet sooner or later, more pulled out, as it was official labelled as flawed, how many have now pulled out of Av-Comparatives?, its only a matter of time unless they change what they are doing.

it may take a month, a year for you to figure this out for yourself, maybe it will take a few of the avira fanboys to actually ask about what they are actually using, instead of relying on these tests and saying "wow, we are the best"

....Ignorance, this is all you are, and all of the other 'Fans' on here, its just plain ignorance to all your other competitors in the market, have you actually sat back and compared what you use to others, such as Kaspersky, i dont think you have even thought about it.

Do Kaspersky 'need' a 99% rating on a test to operate, dont think so, Avira would simply crumble if it did not have this.

People expect these days for Kaspersky to bring new technologys to its products, whilst even behind the scenes working on new ones to counter-act different malware, people expect and know this worldwide, what do people expect of Avira?.... detection rate, this is it, and methods are put in place for them to keep it, but dont fool yourself to think this is correct, it will score results on detection, but its a piss-poor Antivirus, and always has been, other than them bumping up their detection rate, i see the same product i did for many years, the same product that not many people had even heard of, nevermind use, so go ahead and boast and bitch about everyone 'beneath it' cause i find it quite hilarious *LOL*

you dont agree with my words? .. who cares ;)

but, i will have my say :D

You know, people buy alot of Toyotas, Nissans, Citreons etc Yet it is the Germans with the credit and technology, the Germans with the excellence.

-----------
    The following is from another person, not my words nor will i say who from, so if its incorrect, not my problem. :)

"avira simply doesn't have any reputation in creating sophisticated technology. No emulators, no heuristic analyzers, no unpacking/decompressing technology, no free tools to decrypt/disinfect difficult malware"

"kaspersky recognized a lot of packers in the early stage, had an incredibly fast av-lab and the PDM. dr.web had heuristic analysis already in early 90's, nod32 and dr.web have emulators, etc"

-----------

you know, Drweb also has its current .Orgins technology, and its Rootkit technology that can not only find, but disinfect/cure complicated malware....
    didnt drweb also add the first online scanner? and lets not even forget Cureit, which even to this day is the best curing/disinfecting tool, that is also free.

so, before you come back with your little witty comments, answer me one question.

Q. What is the latest innovation avira has brought to the industry?

I personally dont need to argue with people who know nothing of their software or methods/technology they use to gain points for sales and reputations, i consider many of these Avira fanboys, including yourself, nothing but a Newbie!

If you feel the need to argue my posts, i can do that all day, but probably wont as i have other things to do. ;)

but a word of warning, you certainly cant fight facts with the BS you are spreading ;)

Last edited: Dec 28, 2008
  2. Arup

Arup Guest

Well if you have no allegiance to Dr. Web, it shouldn't matter should it ;). An anti virus's job last time I checked is to detect and remove, detection being of prime importance. What good is technology if it can't warn me of any dangers. Its like a high tech radar that doesn't detect. Thats paradox at its worse. All I care and I am sure so does others is detection, we don't need no tech, we need detection and thats where Avira continues to excel, tech be damned. So far as tests go however flawed they maybe perceived Avira excels in detection and also in removal. Even personal experience proves that time and again. As for technology, sure... Avira hasn't yet perfected the art of hosing OS, removing MBR, removing important system files etc. When they do I guess they would be surely considered cutting edge by some.

3. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

We shall agree to disagree :)

4. rookieman

rookieman Registered Member

I came here to read about the progress of the new Avira Suite 9 and this thread seems to have gone off course:'( Is it possible we can get back to what this thread was suppose to be about in the first place:thumb:

5. Bunkhouse Buck

Bunkhouse Buck Registered Member

The problem is that invariably, it gets down to A is better than B, etc. Avira is so good in detection according to AV-Comparatives (and others) that this fact alone can set off promoters of alternative AVs and we end up in a battle royale. Too bad.

I am beta testing the new suite and so far so good- but heavier on my machine at least for now.

6. Arup

Arup Guest

Thank you.

7. Arup

Arup Guest

Yes we shall, but this is a Avira 9 thread and not KAV or Dr. Web so back to topic.

As I said, GUI doesn't matter, detecting unknown threats do, virus writers are getting craftier day by day and malware is ever evolving into newer forms which are getting harder and harder to detect, so far team Avira has been doing a swell job of detecing and keeping them at bay and hopefully, their technical evolution will continue in that step. GUI is a secondary issue, I hardly care about it as long as I can find the scan and advanced setting buttons.

8. waters

waters Registered Member

Detection is protection,i hope it stays the way it is and i will get version 9.No need then to use more than Avira to protect me ,all i need is the best

9. trjam

trjam Registered Member

let me reinterate, I dont know or care if this is the planned GUI or not. This beta just started and there other things that are going to be changed. It is very early. So all I was doing is showing a couple of new enhancements. As more happen, will continue to post it here. But I really dont know what is planned for the "end" product.

As far as comparisions. It is a old and worthless debate. Use what works for you and that is all that matters. So my reference to Kaspersky should have never been typed.

10. andyman35

andyman35 Registered Member

Quite a noticeable slowdown on startup here using Vista Home Premium 32bit.Adds 15-20 seconds,but otherwise it's not too bad in regards to responsiveness.However I disabled the Webguard as it continues to cause irritating 'hiccups' while browsing.Hopefully it'll run leaner once it reaches RTM.

11. Kees1958

Kees1958 Registered Member

Okay,

I added for beta testing.

Great new Advanced Heuristics. Launched a lot of malware. What I can see is that it checks file structure and base binary execution code combo's (like Twister) and Anti rootkit programs like analysis plus normal Avira (V:cool: heuristics with low FP ratio. That is to to my standard, not AV comparatives. All 'good' programs which were FP, did something simular to nasty malware.

Currently I have Avast free installed. But I ask myself seriously how competition can keep track with Avira. When I had a paid AV, and looking at my test results, the heuristics are really awesome, I would consider changing AV. Honest! I am STUNNED

My guess is that they will reach 85% detection level in next (first with Avira 9 version) AV comparatives retropective tests. Off course with FP's (therefore getting a low rating).

Last edited: Dec 29, 2008
  12. rdsu

rdsu Registered Member

How goes the beta testing?

I'm thinking to try it only with free features..

13. Macstorm

Macstorm Registered Member

It's running like a final build on my rig (without the firewall module), no bugs so far whatsoever. Awesome! :cool:

14. Bunkhouse Buck

I'll try it again. I could not get the firewall module to install, but will use another.

15. rdsu

rdsu Registered Member

I tried to install only the free features, but it install the Email module :(, and the web protection service is running...

The rest seems to work well, but I will uninstall it for now...

16. Bunkhouse Buck

What do you mean free features? The beta is free if you are approved as a beta tester.

17. rdsu

rdsu Registered Member

I mean to use only the features that you have in Personal Edition...

18. Bunkhouse Buck

That is not what this thread is about- it's about the Security Suite Version 9 Beta.

19. rdsu

rdsu Registered Member

:D

I know!

But I can use the free features, right!? :rolleyes:

20. Graystoke

Graystoke Registered Member

I installed the beta today. I'm not finding it heavy like some have. No changes in GUI as far as I can tell. A few things added to configuration options. It's a little weird that some things listed in configurations, are written in German. I found that if I stared at it long enough, I could figure out the translation. o_O I imagine this will be taken care of in later builds?

21. s4u

s4u Registered Member

Yes, they will. This is only first beta. Second build will be here soon

22. Graystoke

Graystoke Registered Member

Thanks s4u.

23. Macstorm

Macstorm Registered Member

24. rdsu

rdsu Registered Member

25. Leo2005

Leo2005 Registered Member

yes (we can)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.