Avira Premium--Pass for now.

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by danny9, Feb 2, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. danny9

danny9 Departed Friend

I took the trial for Avira Premium and in less then 2 weeks it's off my system.
    These are the reasons why:
    1) The rootkit scanner. Would no longer work when tied to the complete system scan. It would stop and freeze. Others are having this issue also. The solution was to run the Root kit scan by itself which does work. Probably a bug since they do give you the option.
    2) After doing a complete scan the exec. would keep running. Would not shut down. Rebooted, uninstalled and reinstalled with no luck. Tried again after the last engine update and it again was working properly.
    I figured now we're cooking but....
    3) Mail Guard decided it would'nt work no more. It showed as active and next to it was deactivate. Then it deactivated itself and the option was unknown. Went thru the reboots and reinstalls. Same thing. Checked the forums.
    It was at this point were I said enough is enough.
    I put back AVG Pro which after 6 months has yet to give even the slightest hint of a problem.
    Alot of people tried to help me with these problems and I felt I owed or wanted to give an explanation.
    This is not a bashing of Avira.
    Once the bugs are fixed or the next version comes out, I'll probably try it again.
    As it is now, I could never buy it.
    A problem or two I could live with and understand but three in a row was just too much and my patience was gone.
    Till the next time,
    Dan:)

2. Brian N

Brian N Registered Member

I haven't had any issues yet, it's been on my puter for 6 months for so :)

3. Mele20

Mele20 Former Poster

Thanks for the update. I'm sorry to hear there were three problems in a row. I didn't know about the last one until now. I wouldn't have been of any help with it anyway because I don't use the mail guard.

We all need to use the AV that works best on our computer and for now that seems to be AVG for you. I hope you will try Avira again in April when version 8 is released.

4. danny9

danny9 Departed Friend

Count on it!:)

5. BBKing212

BBKing212 Registered Member

I have avira installed for a month (previously i had nod32) now. Everything is set to max and i don't have any problems for now. Yesterday i have installed it on second computer and it works fine.

Hope the new version will work on your computer.

6. Bunkhouse Buck

Bunkhouse Buck Registered Member

I have had zero issues with Avira, so perhaps the new version will work well on your computer. Maybe give it a try.

7. computer geek

computer geek Registered Member

some people have issues, but i don't. :)

8. Mele20

Mele20 Former Poster

What we all need to remind ourselves about is that we all have different configurations on our computers. No two are the exactly the same. I haven't had problems with Avira (other than the rootkit detector not working right when it was brand new) but I sure had a bunch of problems with Bit Defender 9.5 (none with 9). Others didn't have BSOD's on boot caused by BD driver but I did. My point being that we each have to use what works best for us. Here's hoping Avira 8 will work well for danny9! :)

9. MaB69

MaB69 Registered Member

Hi,

Happy user of Antivir since 10 months with nearly no issues. In the first months of use, i had too the rootkit scan freezing during SPTD driver registry scan. But no other issues

Regards,

MaB

10. danny9

danny9 Departed Friend

Am glad it's working so well for others.
    Maybe it does have something to do with my computer but then again there are a few others with the same problems.
    Software wise I use OnLine Armor, SpywareBlaster and SuperAntiSpyware.
    The Mail Guard I don't really care about. Been using MailWasher Pro for years.
    Of course a router, all on Windows XP SP2 media edition with media features disabled, don't like it, dual core.
    Overall I liked it's features, it's lite footprint and of course it's detection rates.
    I'll wait awhile and try it again. :)

11. pykko

pykko Registered Member

danny, try to uninstall Online Armour and see if it makes any difference.
    Online Armour was not working properly on my PC with Avira installed and I presume it can conflict on your system as well. :)

12. Bunkhouse Buck

Bunkhouse Buck Registered Member

I had the same problem and OA and Avira. OA slowed my system down as well-contrary to the rah-rah of it's many advocates in this forum.

13. L815

L815 Guest

I used the Premium for the 6months and I can say I was very very pleased. I've liked AntiVir before doing the premium run, but I must say it is like a silent assassin.

I never "felt" it on, never noticed a slowdown or drag on my system, and all the while my system has been kept clean.

14. DasFox

DasFox Registered Member

Well how many other spyware, malware applications do you have running in the background if any?

Let's face it what perfect software have you ever found? Simple reply, there is no such thing...

When I know an application is good, and something is holding it back, I try to look at my system and eliminate the possibilities.

Bugs, what are they, and why do some get them and others don't? Well it's because of conflicts in software and drivers on your box, and on occasion unsupported hardware, or limited hardware support.

Now if you're a real pc geek, and you like a bit of a challenge, then you don't just throw up your arms in the air and blame the software, REMEMBER no software is perfect, instead you dig through your system, looking at ways of improving compatibility.

What drivers are installed?
    What software is installed?
    What's running in the background?
    What services are running?
    Etc.. Etc..

If you are a savvy PC geek, guess what, you're going to be able to figure out why the rootkit scans croaks on your system...

Good luck, and personally I'd love to see you do this, and give us a report back... ;)

15. Mele20

Mele20 Former Poster

Is SuperAntiSpware on demand only? It works fine with Avira if used on demand but Avira doesn't like any other antispyware to run in real time except its own. I have SuperAntiSpyware on demand only and Spyware Blaster but I don't use OnLine Armor so maybe it is causing the conflict.

16. EliteKiller

EliteKiller Registered Member

I've been running Avira PE Premium & SAS Pro w/ real-time enabled for about 6 months now without a hitch.

17. danny9

danny9 Departed Friend

Hello to everybody and thanks for the replies and suggestions.
    I'll try to explain this the best I can.
    I use OnLine Armor, the paid version, and like it very much. Works very well on my system without any slowdowns. It stays.
    I run SuperAntiSpyware in real time with AVG Pro. Was on demand with Avira.
    I'm very happy the way everything runs right now, but I'm always willing to try new programs.
    I heard alot of good things about AVira and that's why I tried it.
    I'm not blaming the software itself and will try it again. I am also very aware it could be a conflict with another program I run even though other users are experiencing 2 of the 3 problems I had as posted on the forums.
    However, I am not going to change what I have and what I like for one piece of software. If it fits in, great. If not I run with what I have for now.
    I think I gave it a fair shot, working thru the first 2 problems with tech support and other posters and many uninstalls and reinstalls.
    The third problem was the final straw and I just didn't want to waste anymore time on this.
    I think some of you may disagree with this but that's ok.
    That's why there's so many choices available. :)
    Dan

18. Badcompany

Badcompany Registered Member

Hi danny9,
    At first I had a problem with installing Avira while having OA installed,Could not get Avira mail guard to activate or Avira guard .I uninstalled OA cleaned with Regsupreme installed Avira and then OA.They are now running very well together no problems.I have informed Mike at OA forums about this problem.
    Badcompany.

19. xandros

xandros Registered Member

avira antivir premium working good on my computer
    no problems

20. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

I am not very computer savvy. As a result I am limited as to the amount of time and effort I am willing to give in order to make any application work.

I am more inclined to make an honest atttempt to get one to work on my system, but if I cannot in a short time, I would much rather go to another and keep on till I find one that works on my systems. Trying the different ones is more fun than getting into the details of how one works, and making changes necessary to make it work.
    In my view no AV is worth much frustration. If it does not work without a lot of tweaking then to the waste can it goes.

Regards,
    Jerry

21. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

lol, totally agree.

if it needs tweaking to work, (unless its really simple like an option or whatever) id rather just install something else.

22. LoneWolf

LoneWolf Registered Member

Running Avira AntiVir Premium with MalwareBytes AntiMalware w/ Guard active and Online Armor v2.
    All is running well here.

23. danny9

danny9 Departed Friend

I have to agree with you and C.S.J.
    Well said, Jerry. :cool:

24. trjam

trjam Registered Member

oh, Jerry is just jealous of what Avira is bringing to Cebit this year. Will be the spotlight of the show.;)

25. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

Actually I think Avira is an excellent AV, and it never gave me a problem. I don't know if it had Cebit in the version I tried.:D

Best,
    Jerry

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.