Avira Premium or Avira Suite

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by huntnyc, Apr 9, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. huntnyc

huntnyc Registered Member

This is like a revolving door but I am now running what you see in my sig and I like it a lot. The premium edition standalone atinvirus and Look 'n' Stop run smooth and for the price on Antivir Premium seem much better deal to me than the suite.

KIS 6 just slowed down my browsing too much and even if I disabled firewall, probably would have to also disable Web AV as well to get it to working the way I like.

NOD32 2.7 tuns fine but I still prefer Avira's interface over NOD. I really was not that impressed with the 3.0 interface either, the short time I ran the beta.

Will keep running Premium edition and in a few months, make a decision about buying it or not. Thanks again for your comments.

Oh, the Avira suite seems like you are paying so much for firewall and antispam which I don't believe is worth it at this point. But in future, that may change as it is developed more.

Gary

2. jaydub

jaydub Registered Member

Agreed. I too am running Avira PP for a few months and will probably purchase downstream. I really don't see that the suite is worth the extra, especially since the firewall functionality is fairly limited.

3. Graystoke

Graystoke Registered Member

I have license for Avira PP, and I'm pretty sure I'll be going that route also when the updated version comes out. I just like having a stand alone firewall. I'm running the beta Avira suite now with the firewall uninstalled and a stand alone firewall up and running. I just feel more comfortable this way.

4. VikingStorm

VikingStorm Registered Member

Does Avira plan on having a Web AV component anytime soon?

5. Mele20

Mele20 Former Poster

I hope not. I dislike junk that just bogs down the AV. I like Avira precisely because it doesn't have the junk that is in other AV's. It doesn't even have an email scanner unless you use Outlook. I think that is so refreshing.

6. FRug

FRug Registered Member

Mele20: So far Avira has always made such components optional during installation. So I guess it shouldn't be a reason for you to not buy it if they include a http scanner :)

And Avira's MailGuard is independant of any client that you use. It works with Outlook just as well as with Thunderbird or TheBat or whatever else that uses POP3.

7. Mele20

Mele20 Former Poster

It said when I installed Avira Personal Edition Premium (the free 6 month trial mentioned here) recently that MailGuard only works with Outlook. So, that is incorrect? I didn't install it as I don't want my AV scanning Outlook Express. That is a sure fire way to corruption of the data base. But I want to be clear on this as I don't want to tell someone else the wrong thing! I also thought I recalled being told in the Avira forum that the mail scanner is only for Outlook and not for Outlook Express or Thunderbird, etc. I don't need it as my ISP scans all mail incoming and outgoing which I wish they didn't do.

8. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

I use Outlook Express, and AntiVir PP. It scans all incoming emails.
    I am not sure if it scans outgoing email.

Regards,
    Jerry

9. FRug

FRug Registered Member

I am using it with Tunderbird, so yeah I'm certain. It scans everything coming in via standard POP3. It does not scan outgoing mail(SMTP) or encrypted connections (for example POP3S).

10. trjam

trjam Registered Member

The Suite is the best of all of them. And I may not be an expert, but after trying them all, it still to me, is the best. Now what to do with this 3 year license I have for KIS I dont need?;)

11. lodore

lodore Registered Member

hmm dono but someone might like it as a gift......:D
    lodore

12. lodore

lodore Registered Member

once ive tested the imaging software i will be beta testing antivir suite again.
    the other day when i tryed it i must say its improved quite alot.
    it can only get better and better
    lodore

13. Engelhardt

Engelhardt Registered Member

I have been trialing Avira SS and can say that it really runs light on my Vista Business ed. system. Does not slow down my web browsing like KIS does. The only complaint I have is the updates seem to follow banking hours. Unlike Kaspersky which it pretty much 24/7. No updates on Sat. or Sun. :eek:

14. Mele20

Mele20 Former Poster

Banking hours? No updates on Sat and Sun? How do you have updating configured? I have Avira Premium set to check every one-half hour and it updated several times over the weekend. It updates at all hours. Of course, it doesn't update every half-hour that it checks but it updates quite a few times every 24 hours and perhaps less on the weekends but it does update then. In fact, the ANI update was on the weekend.

15. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

It will be interesting to see how this next major update does. I think the 18th is the date. I hope it is not buggy.
    BOY! how I wish KAV would get straight. I realize that no AV is entirely bug free, but Kaspersky since MP2 has been unusable on my computer.

AntiVir is running without any problems, and if it stays so stable, then Kaspersky had better get its act together, or my licenses will go to waste.

Regards,
    Jerry

16. Engelhardt

Engelhardt Registered Member

17. Graystoke

Graystoke Registered Member

I'm running the beta Avira SS, and I just checked the log. It did not have any updates this past weekend. I can't say for sure if it updated on past weekends or not. I'll have to keep an eye on it.

18. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

It does seem strange that the beta would not update. My AA PP, not beta, updated several times both days. o_O o_O

Regards,
    Jerry

19. huntnyc

I would not really worry too much because of course the beta servers are separate from the reular servers. Whatever is going on release time is soon and I have never had update problems with Avira suite thankfully.

Gary

20. bugsy_pal

bugsy_pal Registered Member

May I ask... where do you set the frequency of updates in Premium? I was looking the other day and couldn't find it.

I was having trouble with updates for ages, and ready to give up on this product. Then miraculously, they started working. Not sure if my ISP did something (they say they didn't) but I can get major updates by auto downlaod now.

21. huntnyc

Go under Scheduler tab, right-click Update job and hit edit job and then go through the wizard and choose your changes including frequency.

Gary

22. pilotart

pilotart Registered Member

AVIRA's Weekend Updating

The AVIRA History Log Website
    did not update this past weekend even though there were updates released, it shows them now though.

Two updates on a weekend is usual, but there were five, the weekend before, plus a new Hueristic Engine released (rare to happen on a weekend).

They do seem to respond well to a 'need'. :)

23. MalwareDie

MalwareDie Registered Member

Re: AVIRA's Weekend Updating

A new Heuristic Engine was released? Is it only available in beta?

24. pilotart

pilotart Registered Member

Re: AVIRA's Weekend Updating

Was referring to the avewin32.dll usually released a few times a month and the latest now is Search engine: v7.03.01.52 released on Friday the 13th.

They are not listed on 'VDF History' Web Page but come with normal 'Schedule' Updates.

Would be included with a Manual Update
    (you will notice that there is also a Beta-VDF and Beta-Engine available at bottom of that site).

25. MalwareDie

MalwareDie Registered Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.