Avira Premium or Avira Suite

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by huntnyc, Apr 9, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. huntnyc

huntnyc Registered Member

Unless things change, I will probably be buying one of these two, Premium or Suite. Trying to make up my mind. Do not use a router but just have a broadband PC card connection. Have been using Comodo or Windows XP Firewall in the past with Nod32. But having beta tested the suite I like its performance on my laptop.

Antispam is working great but wish it were integrated with a The Bat! plugin.

Firewall seems ok but is it worth paying the extra money instead of just using a free firewall?

I just see the firewall and antispam as being different from the premium edition which is fairly reasonably priced. Could I get your opinions, the suite or premium - what factors should be considered? Does the "extra" protection the suite offers make that much of a diffference ocmpared to said alternatives with premium? Thanks.

Gary

2. lodore

lodore Registered Member

well if the suite works for you buy it.
    i have to strongly reccomend you to buy a firewalled router thou.
    firewalled routers are very useful.
    lodore

3. coldplay

coldplay Registered Member

Avira Premium has my vote.

suite wise , I would choose the Russian stuff.

4. huntnyc

Yes, I agree with you and the only reason I am leaning away from using my cheap KIS license is my Opera web browsing is a step slow. Maybe it is the antihacker firewall instead of web av. AH set on low security. All else with it seemed fine but my net connection is not really fast as it is just convenient, carry it around in my laptop.

Gary

5. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

I trialed the suite several months ago. I liked it, and would probably opt for the suite.
    However, if you have a good firewall that you like, and something like SuperAntiSpyware, the AV plus those will give as much protection I think.

Right now I am using the 6 months free trial of AntiVir Premium with the applications you see on my signature, and am happy with it. I did disable AVGAS, and SAS to use on-demand for now.

Best,
    Jerry

6. huntnyc

I have a license for LnS too Jerry. Always liked it but know it does not do well in leaktests. But, still i could use my 2.06.

However, again, let me emphasize, I am using the suite beta and it is running great. So, choosing one over the other for me is not implying that either one is not good just what might be the bst choice overall when considering all factors, what you get for the price as compared to what I can run with Premim compared to having the suite.

Thanks.

Gary

7. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

Hi Gary,
    I suspect that I will end up with a suite. I am using F-Secure IS on my laptop, and am happy with it. I removed Kerio 2.1.5 when I installed it.

I finally went for the 3 year KIS license, and in time might put it on this machine after I finish the trial of Avira. However, I have not been able to get KAV to run right since MP2, and am gambling that V7 will correct the problems, but maybe not.

I did like AntiVir suite, and it would be a good choice. I am thinking that the price is twice the cost of the AV.
    Regards,
    Jerry

8. coldplay

coldplay Registered Member

some sort web shield function cause browser slow in most cases, firewalls do that , too, of course. But I heard Kp makes one of the best firewalls in the world.

9. Banshee

Banshee Registered Member

>Firewall seems ok but is it worth paying the extra money instead of just >using a free firewall?

In my opinion no.Definitely No!. There are better ones around. Jetico is one.

10. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

Premium.

11. lodore

lodore Registered Member

Hello Gary,
    there are some new network drivers for kis6.0 soon to help fix the lagg with AH
    lodore

12. trjam

trjam Registered Member

The Suite.

13. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

BOY! We really helped didn't we?:D

Jerry

14. huntnyc

How would you rate the firewall at this point trijam? Do you believe it is imporiving over initial version? Thanks and I am beginning to agree the suite is just winning me over at this point.

Gary

15. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

Some AV sites show side by side a comparison of their various versions, eg free vs paid. AntiVir doesn't have such a comparison as far as I can find.
    Are the differences in the Premium and the suite a firewall, and anti-spyware?

Best,
    Jerry

16. Graystoke

Graystoke Registered Member

Hi JerryM. The difference between the two is the firewall. Both the Premium and the suite have anti-spyware. In the beta suite they have added rootkit detection, and antispam.

17. huntnyc

Will the Premium edition have antispam in the Mailguard also or will that be only in the suite?

Gary

18. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

Hi Graystoke,

I seem to recall that the rootkit detection will also be added to the Premium. If so one is paying double for the firewall. That may not be all that good a deal??

Thanks for the reply.

Best,
    Jerry

19. Graystoke

Hi Jerry,

I have to agree with you there. To be honest, I have been thinking of removing Avira's firewall, and installing a stand alone firewall. I never really liked the firewall. Since I'm also a license holder of Avira Premium, when Avira Premium is updated with rootkit detection, I'll probably go with that plus a stand alone firewall.

20. Mele20

Mele20 Former Poster

Rootkit protection will be in the free version also. The only real difference between the versions is that the free has lousy update servers and shows you ad during update and update is only once a day (although it can be set to more often). Premium adds a mail scanner but for Outlook only and has much better update servers. It is very easy to set the update interval how ever you want it and there is no ad when updating, plus, there is more spyware scanning than in the free. The Suite adds a firewall.

21. huntnyc

But again, do we know if mailguard in Premium will have antispam or just in the suite?

Gary

22. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

Hi Graystoke,

When I trialled the suite all ran well. I must confesss that I do not know enough about firewalls to make a good evaluation of one. However, the firewall did not give me any trouble, and learned quickly.
    Other than that, I have only used Kerio 2.1 5 and LnS.

Why do you not like the Avira firewall? What is your preference for a firewall?

Thanks,
    Jerry

23. Graystoke

Hi Jerry,

I'm no expert on firewalls either. I will try to explain. I hope it makes some sense. :)

I've run Zone Alarm and Sunbelt Kerio, and Comodo. With ZA and Comodo, besides being asked whether you want to allow or deny an app to connect to the internet, you are asked if you want to give an app server rights. With Sunbelt Kerio, you are asked to allow or deny outgoing and incoming connections. With Avira's firewall, all you are asked is to allow or deny an app to connect to the internet. I never have received a warning about an incoming connection, or an app asking for server rights. This worries me a little. Maybe it's unfounded, but I still wonder why I don't get those types of warnings.

Like I said, I'm not a firewall expert, but there are times I think I would like to have a little more control. I hope I have made myself somewhat clear. Some times it's hard for me to try to explain what I'm thinking. :doubt:

24. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

Thanks for the reply, Graystoke. I do not remember if I got warnings about incoming connections, but I cannot imagine a firewall that would not do that.

My problems with firewalls are mostly, "someone from 123456776, is wanting to make a connection to 2846352. Do you want to allow it?"
    I do not have a clue most of the time who is wanting to make a connection to what.o_O o_O

Best,
    Jerry

25. Graystoke

Yeah I know what you mean. :)

When I check Application rules in Avira's firewall, all it shows is the apps name, and that it is allowed. No other info is given. Same thing in the Communication Points section. Maybe an expert in Avira's firewall will come along and clear things up.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.