Avira Premium free for six months.

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by Arup, Sep 21, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Arup

Arup Guest

Still doesn't take away that this is a wonderful offer from one of the best AVs around. I am quite happy with it and I am sure so are others.

2. Rob E

Rob E Registered Member

Hello BG

You're not getting it. You're confusing a process name (from the task mgr), with file system paths, Object exclusions (like file and directory paths) that you're thinking of... have no such limitation. Exclusions for these objects are placed directly below the drop-down box you were looking at, in a seperate box. The 16 character limit is for the process name only (inclusive of file extension).

Good grief! ouch: In my experience, if all else fails... read the help file! ;)

GL

Rob

3. bellgamin

bellgamin Registered Member

Avira Guard was persistently popping-up alerts about processes that were not even running -- hence, those processes were unlisted in the Task Manager. One example (of several possible examples) is prospell.exe -- a component of FreeSpell -- a general purpose spell checker used by me & my students for several years & NEVER flagged by any other AV except Avira.

In Guard's exception list, I entered exception by process name only (prospell.exe). I also entered prospell by its full path in the scanner's exception list. The same is true for several othe FPs being flagged by Guard. Despite that, Guard repeatedly popped up alerts for prospell, & for the other exceptions I entered.

Avira's forum gives evidence that I am not alone with this issue. As for reading the help file, I did so, at length. So did my IT. So -- don't go getting sarcastic, wot? :cautious:

4. Rob E

Rob E Registered Member

BG,

Your post never mentioned any problems you were having with excessive pop-up alerts for processes that didn't appear to be running on your system. I never addressed that. I'm no mindreader - but now you're revealing that this was the real issue behind what you did post.

I only addressed what you did post about... and it was a correct response, but not the correct response. Apparently we weren't on the same page.

At the time... you seemed to be confusing process exclusions with file system exclusions, hence your comment, "...either redesign my file set-up, or else cripple Avira's heuristics, in order to live within the 15 character limitation."

That's all I meant. And I meant to be friendly, not sarcastic.

Personally, I exclude a significant # of file (& folder) objects... but otherwise use no other process exclusions. I do have about 50 processes running at any given time but have had no issues with Guard pop-ups.

I'm sorry you and others are having issues with Avira. Hopefully they'll be resolved.

R

5. bellgamin

bellgamin Registered Member

Okay Rob -- on second consideration, you have a valid point. I'm having another go at it, per your guidance. So far, so good.

Minus the jabs, I might have got your point the first time. :cool:

6. trjam

trjam Registered Member

bellgamin, it really is a good AV. It and Norton are my 2 winners.

7. kenshi

kenshi Registered Member

Installed it last night. No problems yet. I uninstalled AVG but kept Windows Defender. We'll see what happens.

8. Big Apple

Big Apple Frequent Poster

Funny thing.......just last week I bought a licensce for Avira Personal Premium AV for 20,= euro. Then I read the post about the 6 month free license offer and I really felt p... off. I mailed Avira and asked for a refund and stated, that I don't think this is a good way to do business.
    They refunded the next day! They also could have extended my license with 6months, but they never talked about that!

9. kenshi

kenshi Registered Member

I like the idea that for every online sale they are donating 5 euros to a charitable foundation created by the CEO and administered by his wife. I was hoping the projects were more "global" like world hunger or poverty but still I salute their efforts.

10. GES/POR

GES/POR Registered Member

With all due respect but if i was in charge i would not refund your well thought about rock solid purchase because of jelousy. Indeed i could think about adding those extra 6 months to your licence but hey im not German. Not far from it though.

Dag.

11. GES/POR

One of many reasons i chose to support Avira.

12. Big Apple

Big Apple Frequent Poster

I'm glad you're not in charge then!

Ook Dag! ;)

13. GES/POR

Well i could have been if ive studied hard enough? :)

14. Diver

Diver Registered Member

What I have found from using Nod32 to clean up badly infected systems is that Nod32 will detect things that it cannot remove. If it is followed by SAV/NAV these items will be removed. If that is followed by KAV, the quarantined files from SAV will be removed, and so on.

Then you can try to fix the Windows firewall which is usually permanently disabled, and windows update which is likely to be broken. What really needs to be done is a complete restore from the manufacturer's system disks, but the same kids who mess up their computers beyond hope also manage to lose those disks.

15. Straight Shooter

Straight Shooter Registered Member

Well, I guess it's no longer free anymore, or is there a new link?

16. combo

combo Registered Member

17. mercurie

mercurie A Friendly Creature

18. kenshi

kenshi Registered Member

I got mine last night for 6 months free

19. Diver

Diver Registered Member

Just installed my 6 month trial. No FP's on the first scan. Looks promising on the battery life issue.

For Vista Windows Firewall users using outbound filtering allow:
    update.exe
    avguard.exe
    avmailc.exe
    avesvc.exe
    At least that is what the Avira FAQ says, but in several different places.

20. rpsgc

rpsgc Registered Member

:'( sniff

21. Thug21

Thug21 Registered Member

I still see the links on this page as up. Which are you referring to?

22. mercurie

mercurie A Friendly Creature

PC2 has been in standby for a few days....I brought it up and attempted to down load update manually 4 times; each time it timed out and failed. There was a suggestion in the report that it was going to another server, yet I saw not a change in what it was connecting to.

When I had free version I could actually see the numbers changing and eventually, most of the time I could get it from one of the servers.

Hmmm...:mad: looks like free was better at getting updates then the Premium! If the update problems continue there is absolutely no way I will pay for this AV. I don't care how good it's cleaning and detections are. :thumbd:

EDIT: When I put AVira updater in OutPost always trust this app. I was able to get my update. Funny I did not have this issue earlier. I will monitor this carefully and report back if there are anymore issues. :doubt:

Last edited: Sep 27, 2007
  23. argus tuft

argus tuft Registered Member

That does seem odd. I think I'm about as far away as you can get from their servers, (Australia) and it updates, or tells me there are none, instantaneously.
    A welcome change from the free version, I must say :)

24. Arup

Arup Guest

No update issues here, absolutely none, update works each and every time and I do manual updates almost 3 times a day.

25. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

I also update every 4 hours in the Suite here with none of the connectivity issues I saw in the free version of the AV. So far, a good experience for me...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.