Avira Premium free for six months.

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by Arup, Sep 21, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

I can take moderate speed, as long as the servers are accessible when needed. In the free version, I sometimes couldn't connect for a few days when there were heavy updates. Hopefully the paid servers are more reliable....

2. argus tuft

argus tuft Registered Member

So far, they seem a lot more reliable...

3. Arup

Arup Guest

Yep, agreed, not giving any error messages like in their free version.

4. Jarmo P

Jarmo P Registered Member

Yes they are. There is no problems with premium servers, except sometimes quite big updates as normal with Avira. But nothing like the free classic server bother. The default I think is every 4 hours.

I had been running Avira AntiVir Premium previous 6 month offer and it had only 18 days left so I am glad and also I was kind of expecting this thing to happen for us security interested people!
    The nag screen popup to renew my license got a little on my nerves past week :p
    But I would have gone back to AntiVir Classic being a cheapshot and all that, hehe. Anyways Avira is one of the top AVs and I am happy to be among the users having it than other AV ones.
    Jarmo

5. Blackcat

Blackcat Registered Member

I am still restricted to dial-up at Home so the Premium version was the only viable option for me.

IME, the Premium Servers are instantly available but with larger updates/upgrades the initial fast connection speeds do fall away. An upgrade for example can still take well over an hour.

But, more importantly, these paid Servers are much more reliable than the Classic ones.

6. Thanasis159

Thanasis159 Registered Member

Τhanks!!! This works great!

7. trjam

trjam Registered Member

And its the best AV on the market so you win on all accounts.;)

8. Arin

Arin Registered Member

Is it only meant for the subscribers of PCWORLD Poland? I mean a few days ago I guess the same magazine offered 6 month license for KIS to subscribers in UK.

9. mrfargoreed

mrfargoreed Registered Member

Thanks for this! Been wanting to test Avira properly for ages now - looking forward to installing. :thumb:

10. farmerlee

farmerlee Registered Member

Mute the pc speaker.

11. Arup

Arup Guest

Yep, but it works here in India as well as US so it should work fine in any region, during registration, they don't ask the country of origin.

12. rdsu

rdsu Registered Member

I'm using it since yesterday...

Thanks ;)

13. Mele20

Mele20 Former Poster

You can't mute the computer's internal speaker that way. It is a very weak sound though so I don't why you'd need to mute it. If it was Kaspersky's wild pig sound...yeah, that one at work would need muting but I don't know of any way to do that.

14. jaydub

jaydub Registered Member

EliteKiller,

Many thanks.

Not for pointing this out, because I already knew about it, but it did get me to check my registry entry, which was identical to yours apart from a missing p in the /nosplash switch.

I can now enjoy AntiVir without the splash screen for the remaining 11 days of my current six month trial.

Was going to trial KIS next, but just wondering whether I should be cheeky enough to request another six month trial key.

Anybody tried doing this yet?

15. Mele20

Mele20 Former Poster

What splash screen? That's in the free version.

16. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

any AV that offers it free for a period longer than a standard trial, has earned a little respect from me :)

ive never really been interested in the software, but its a good find for anyone who is, good job AntiVir ;)

17. argus tuft

argus tuft Registered Member

The splash screen is also present in the premium version. Maybe you're thinking of the nag screen?

18. Jarmo P

Jarmo P Registered Member

That update little right corner window you can suppress too.
    Go to Sceduler and change options there if you want. It is not the most obvious place to find I agree.
    But there you have it. Change it to invisible if you want.

Attached Files:

19. Mele20

Mele20 Former Poster

Don't change to invisible unless you check every day to see if the updates are taking place. I had it on invisible and I had Avira set to alert me if there were no updates for two days (default is 3 days). Earlier this month, I found that Avira had not updated for OVER 5 DAYS. I had even run several on demand scans during the time it was not updating and didn't notice as Avira does not get your face like it should when something is wrong with updating.

I was told at Avira forum that the notification to alert me to no updates after two days was a small slide up note SHOWN ONLY ONCE AND ONLY WHEN BOOTING. I go for weeks without rebooting and never turn off my computers (except when on vacation) so there was no way I could have seen any notice about the updater being corrupted.

Avira has really good detection but it has a lot of small, but important, rough spots like this one.

20. Mele20

Mele20 Former Poster

Yes, I suppose I am. You mean the screen that shows when you boot just as you reach the desktop? Why would you want to turn that off? I understand why some want to to turn off the nag screen on the free version (although it never bothered me that much) but the "splash" screen? What is bad about that? I have several of those that show at boot for various applications. I suppose if I was on my old 98SE machine where I had to boot every day because of the resource issue on that OS, it might bother me, but on NTFS systems? You can go for months without rebooting so who cares what shows up when you boot as that is a rare thing...that is one of the greatest things about NTFS systems....you don't need to reboot to regain resources.

21. 19monty64

19monty64 Registered Member

It bothered me because I have TinyWatcher scan at boot-up, and I always had to wait for the AntiVir splash-screen to disappear so I could confirm any entries in Tiny...

22. 031

031 Registered Member

Thanks Arup . I dumped antivir personal edition few days ago because of its slow updating . Now i am again under the red umbrella and the premium servers are fast . Thanks again . :) :) :) :) :)

23. EliteKiller

EliteKiller Registered Member

You're welcome. :) It looks like Avira modified the default install path with the Q3 update if you're doing a fresh install. Read more

c:\program files\avira\....

That would also affect the path to disable the nag screen in the free version.

24. mercurie

mercurie A Friendly Creature

Lots of buzz, here about this...hmmm sounds good but no one has really posted how it comes to you and how it installs.

Should I uninstall the Classic first? I usually do this when loading new AV even if it is from same vendor.

What happens when I give email address do they send key? sounds like they send multiple files...:doubt: Do I open them up in some order?? How does that work?

Is there any more pop up ads or new ones saying, "like your 6 month trial...179 days to go buy today"...:( . Near the end of the trial I would expect this no problem there. ;)

I always like to know what to expect before doing something like this. Is this any different then there normal trials...or maybe they never had a trial for Premium :doubt:

I have only used the free. :blink:

25. GrailVanGogh

GrailVanGogh Registered Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.