Avira: Poor Self Protection

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by sg09, Mar 29, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sg09

sg09 Registered Member

Today I was handling an age old PC with XP sp2. It did not have any AV protection at all. After upgrading flash, shockwave and Java, I installed Avira Personal in it. After updating I started a scan. During the scan it detected conficker and started repairing. It did a reboot and guess what after the reboot windows didn't boot untill I selected the last known good configuration. On boot-up I found that the malware destroyed the real-time guard of Avira.....:mad:

This is not the first time I have found this with Avira. Basically this is why I lost my faith on Avira. But I thought it must have been improved in v10...:gack:

2. johnyjohn

johnyjohn Registered Member

Hi,

Did you enable "enhanced process protection" ?

3. Dundertaker

Dundertaker Registered Member

Huho_O ...I disagree there. I tinker with the configuration of Avira and am applying a saved config from a backup file of the AVWIN.ini.

If it's enabled youll get a pop-up from Avira upon tinkering it. I know that it's "on" by default right...?(correct me on this please..)

Last edited: Mar 29, 2011
  4. sg09

sg09 Registered Member

Was that the default option? If not that's bad ...:doubt: enabling this will do any good now?

5. johnyjohn

Hi,

If this option is enabled, all AntiVir processes are protected with advanced options from unwanted termination. Advanced process protection requires considerably more computer resources than simple process protection . That is why the option is disabled as the default setting. To enable this option, you have to restart your computer.

6. J_L

J_L Registered Member

Try its Rescue System (Boot Disc)

7. onigen

onigen Registered Member

Installing any AV on a seriously infected system won't work.

You need to use a live cd / portable program.
    Otherwise it's reformat time.

Last edited: Mar 29, 2011
  8. sg09

sg09 Registered Member

I haven't found this a very infected system on first glance. It looked very normal.:eek:

9. nosirrah

nosirrah Malware Fighter

Install any AV, reboot and select last known good. Your AV will be dead as the last good boot did not have any of those services and drivers installed.

http://www.microsoft.com/resources/...l/proddocs/en-us/boot_last_good.mspx?mfr=true

When you choose Last Known Good Configuration, only the information in registry key HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet is restored. Any changes you have made in other registry keys remain.

HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet <- your services and drivers are installed there so you need to reboot at least once successfully to get them to survive a last known good boot.

10. sg09

sg09 Registered Member

Ohh!! I see...:eek: So, its not Avira's fault...:argh:

11. tk55

tk55 Registered Member

i don't think avira "personal" free version has this option. i couldn't find it in mine.

12. johnyjohn

All AntiVir versions has this option under Configuration -> General -> Security -> the option is called in fact "Advanced password protection" instead of "advanced process protection". It was wrongly translated...

13. tk55

tk55 Registered Member

edit: thanks. finally found it. have to enable expert mode to see it :)

Last edited: Mar 30, 2011
  14. J_L

J_L Registered Member

So Avira Free has password protection? As in you need to enter a password to disable it or modify settings?

15. johnyjohn

Hi J_L,

No, password protection is only for Premium and Premium Security Suite (in General -> Password).
    What I told can be found in General -> Security : the right translation is Advanced process protection and not Advanced password protection.
    These are 2 different things.

16. zfactor

zfactor Registered Member

exactly what i was thinking when i read the op's post. if you restored it to a previous config or restore point avira was not there so it will not work right.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.