Avira + Online Armor - what went wrong?

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by NeilC, Jan 15, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mvdu

mvdu Registered Member

There are some features missing in the free OA (like full keylogger protection and run safer default,) but it still should have stopped infection.

2. bellgamin

bellgamin Registered Member

Even the free versions of Avira & OA will provide equal or better protection than Comodo (CIS). CIS has a good FW & HIPS, but its antivirus is very weak.

I suggest you stay with Avira & OA and simply add Sandboxie. That combination will protect your computer to the nth degree.

3. Thug21

Thug21 Registered Member

Correct. It's strange he said it didn't stop it... o_O

Those are my 3 musketeers. :)

4. Creer

Creer Registered Member

Adding Sandboxie or DefenseWall (or both) will be good idea.

5. innerpeace

innerpeace Registered Member

That looks like my setup ;)

NeilC,

If you click on something or surf to a compromised site, more than likely it was an known exploit to a software you have installed that has a patch/update. I can't stress enough how important it is to keep your programs updated. Especially programs like Windows, browsers, Java, Flash player, media players, PDF readers, etc... See my signature to a Secunia link where you can get a free online scan to check if your important programs are vulnerable. Don't make it easy for the bad guys :thumb:.

6. IceCube1010

IceCube1010 Registered Member

While I do agree Avira is a better AV product than Comodos AV, I have to disagree on the FW and Hips part. I like OA free but I feel Comodos FW and hips is a bit stronger when you enable Proactive config. Maybe the hips part of Comodo would have sent up a warning about the infection but then you need to make the correct choice Allow or Deny.

Ice

7. gery

gery Registered Member

I am using Avira premium with Windows firewall. Do you recommend a good firewall?

8. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

Online Armor lol ;)

9. gery

gery Registered Member

What about ZA PRO ?

10. firzen771

firzen771 Registered Member

i wouldnt use ZA PRO, i even have a license for it, but im not using cuz i found it too heavy for me, and i just prefer the FW im currently using.

11. NeilC

NeilC Registered Member

OK thanks for the tips.

The virus installed a file called Prunet.exe. It was a devil of thing. I created various DLLs and processes, some invisible to task manager. If I tried to use unlocker to unlock any of them to delete them it shut down windows. It locked me out of most security features and turned off the firewall.

12. shadek

shadek Registered Member

Free version of Avira AntiVir does not protect against adware/malware. It only protects against viruses and trojans.

13. Creer

Creer Registered Member

Not exactly, i have free version of Avira and my AV noticed me few times when i open infected sites and give me information about spyware which was there. So sometimes free Avira can warns you from spyware.
    But of course i agree Premium version is better in that things. :ninja:

14. simmikie

simmikie Registered Member

i tested OA for over a year, and it's rock solid protection. if it flags something, it will halt it in it's tracks. smells like someone clicked allow when they should not have. my assesment anyway. going to Comodo is not the answer if one does not take the time to configure it, or read the pop-ups and respond correctly.

Mike

15. neksus

neksus Registered Member

To avoid such things from installing and causing havoc try surfing under limited user account, or install GesWall free.
    Or both!
    In addition you can try browsing with SRWare Iron if you don't fancy running your favorite browser sandboxed..

16. NeilC

NeilC Registered Member

No that is not the case. Various popups did appear and they were all responded to correctly. OA did stop the infection doing it's worst and blocked various attempts to run files and access the net but it didn't stop it getting in.

17. Thug21

Thug21 Registered Member

18. simmikie

simmikie Registered Member

okay, you were there and i wasn't, not the first time i have been wrong....my apologies. the boogaloos are indeed getting crafty, when they can escape TallEmus' wonderfully engineered security tool. maybe a trip to "in the clouds" is worth evaluating.

Mike

19. blacknight

blacknight Registered Member

20. NeilC

NeilC Registered Member

"In the clouds"?

I don't understand?

21. NeilC

NeilC Registered Member

So are you guys saying that Avira free and OS free together provide 100% protection against all malware as long as the user responds correctly? We don't need any other form of script control, or whatever?

22. GES/POR

GES/POR Registered Member

Actually oa alone with good usage would be more then sufficient.

23. NeilC

NeilC Registered Member

So why don't you use that instead of F-PROT Antivirus + SpywareBlaster Pro + SUPERAntiSpyware Pro + Prevx Edge 3.0 Antimalware Beta 64
    CCleaner

24. Creer

Creer Registered Member

Maybe because OA doesn't support 64-bit yet. ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.