Avira new heuristics

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by MalwareDie, Jan 12, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. doctor IT

doctor IT Registered Member

Don't worry :) There were no FalsPositives. I really was infected with that virus. Avira couldn't clean the files so I downloaded a tool from BitDefender and the problem was solved :)

2. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

how can there be no false positives here, nero and skype are clean o_O

3. Londonbeat

Londonbeat Registered Member

Because W32/Saburex is a virus. Viruses are file infectors - i.e. they can infect normal files unlike trojans which are bad files in themselves. An antivirus can clean (sometimes) virus-infected files without having to delete the whole file.

Londonbeat

4. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

maybe.....

but nero and skype are clean oh anything, unless maybe your using dodgy cracked versions blaaahh!

5. Londonbeat

o_O
    Viruses infect clean files.

6. webster

webster Registered Member

http://www.jalaella.com/

7. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

so let me get this right,
    the virus has been allowed to be executed here,
    avira actually let this virus into his machine and let it corrupt nero and skype

tut tut,

8. webster

webster Registered Member

No :cautious:

9. Londonbeat

Given your extensive posts on antivirus software (which is best, etc) I am surprised you didn't know the difference between a trojan and a virus (file infector).
    The virus infects .exe files upon execution, when the files were executed they were infected by the file infector and antivir detected and warned of the infection.

10. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

yes i do, i was just mis-reading your post.

but back OT, avira has let the virus execute here and allowed it to corupt to other programs, omg... good AV software.

how can the 'best detection' av on the market, let this happen? with a virus that it should have sigs for?

11. lodore

lodore Registered Member

you shoiuld know that no av is perfect and cant detect every threat on the internet. you dont need to be so omg it let one virus past it.
    you seem to change av's everytime someone says one bad thing about the one you use.
    its got one bug oh no i better run to the hills and get another.
    if you dont like bugs like better secuirty then switch to linux and stop complaining about one missed infection.
    you have been here long enought to know that one missed infection doesnt stop make a company rubbish and need to switch.
    oh no this week my gas prices are £1 more than the compatiter better switch quick.
    british gas is the bestest compamy ever I save so much money by using them. *cough* *cough*
    get the drift?
    write a book paranoia by chris jackson=)
    if the world was perfect then we wouldnt need secuirty software of any kind but the world isnt perfect.
    i hate this bad weather it makes me cough alot=D
    lodore

Last edited: Jan 14, 2007
  12. FRug

FRug Registered Member

C.S.J: who said he's using avira for on access protection?

13. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

hang on,

i still have my trend and avg on the pcs, with drweb on my laptop ... no change there, so this changing is nonsense and i will have drweb on my laptop for the next 2 years, this is fact, and when vista comes next month, it will come with me.

no, you shouldnt judge an av on one threat, but either way.. avira have signatures for this threat as on demand it detected it, and it let it in the machine and it did damage, end of, crap av.

seen as your having a bit of a personal dig here, let me say something about you lodore, you seem to judge an av on pretty looks and cool icons, not security, (the fact that kaspersky is a decent av is irrelavant here) and will continue to make it your ambition or hobby maybe, to try and lure everyone onto kaspersky without saying ANY FLAWS at all in the software, every kaspersky thread you have mentioned has no flaws of the software at all, just perfect eh? *laughs* think you need some sleep, school in the morning?

kaspersky is perfect in all your threads, dont deny it but you seem to see flaws in every other, are you 2d?

i think you honestly believe that 'if you say something enough, it comes true', either way, dont care about your comments, even if i enter an opinion about say 'Avira vs Bitdefender' i always skip past the lodore comment usually mentioning kaspersky etc, i know i do go on about dr.web a bit myself, but it usually is in dr.web convos or dr.web threads and i dont HIJACK other threads with this constant BS of kaspersky is the best bla bla.

end of, shut up or make a kaspersky thread!!
    done with this thread.

14. lodore

lodore Registered Member

ye good point who said he was using antivir
    i stop letting off steam now so i can get my work done at college tomorrow now woot!
    i havent seens a virus in years
    f-secure blocked a few trojans when i was looking for paid over a year ago but instead google found me some free music software sites when i was off guard.
    lodore

15. lodore

lodore Registered Member

when did i talk about kaspersky in my last post?
    i dont recall talking about it at all.
    i was stopping you having a dig at antivir because i belive its a good product that deserves people's hard earned cash because of its good heristics that is getting better and better. and quite alot of signiture updates as well.
    you can quote me if you want to but if you read my post earlier you will see that i sometimes find the pdm popups really annoying from kis6.0 but im keeping it because its getting a pdm white list soon to stop poping up riskware invadors on known safe apps like msn messenger firefox etc etc.
    i try to reccomend three av's kaspersky nod32 and antivir.
    for someone new to pc's i try to reccomend antivir because of its simple but easy to use interface that works and tells you everything in plain english.
    like guard,mail guard, scanner,scheduler and reports.
    plus also its got fast signitures updates and very good heristics.
    thats why i put antivir on my sister's laptop.
    I reccomend nod32 because its another light weight scanner with
    very good heristics with almost no fp's im not gonna say unlike other av's lol because thats just crawl and uncalled for.
    plus its got so much customization. but the other reason is because is so easy to install and uninstall.
    kaspersky i reccomend because of its hourly signiture updates and high detection rate and also because i use it, it works for me because the scans are fast after the first scan and ive had hardly any problems with it.
    i think this called for a long post.
    lodore

16. ggf31416

ggf31416 Registered Member

W32/Saburex.A.DLL was added recently, so it's possible that the virus infected the executables before AntiVir had a signature.

Attached Files:

17. lodore

lodore Registered Member

thats fair enough now we are back on topic.
    lets hope i dont get a warning about off topic.
    next time i will talk about the off topic stuff in pm to the people conserned
    lodore

18. Londonbeat

If you think an av is crap because it cannot clean/delete 1 infection then you are going to be unsatisfied after a while. All AV's occassionally have problems cleaning/deleting some infections, a look through this or any other AV forum would confirm this. Which is why most AV companies have specific removal tools for some infections, like the poster here had to use.
    We do not know for sure that the poster even had Antivir on-demand on his PC at the time, so I see no reason to continue to bash Antivir.

Londonbeat

19. lodore

lodore Registered Member

@londonbeat thats why i made my really long off topic response due to the fact that no av is perfect and chris was saying omg about it missing one infection.
    and i go read the posts from experts that say stuff like no av is perfect and a virustotal screenshot showing that one av missed an infection dont help anyone.
    chris the thing is you say you dont dislike kaspersky but you like any other av better
    you dont diss hi tech boy for telling people to try nod22 do you? no
    also back on topic this thread was to celabrate dr web making a new beta improving the program and detection.
    lodore

Last edited: Jan 14, 2007
  20. Don Pelotas

Don Pelotas Registered Member

Don't throw stones when you live in a glass house, Chris Jackson...................................

21. BlueZannetti

BlueZannetti Registered Member

OK folks,

Discuss the topic, not the people who are participating in the discussion...

Blue

22. CJsDad

CJsDad Registered Member

I know Avira doesnt have an HTTP scanner but I'm just curious as to why no one has mentioned anything about the questions from post #10 and #22

23. trjam

trjam Registered Member

24. Mele20

Mele20 Former Poster

What does that paper have to do with home users and an http scanner for aVira? That paper is about businesses and their risks not about home users. I'm glad aVira doesn't have an http scanner. I don't use them and don't like them and I sure don't want to buy an AV and be paying for a bunch of stuff I won't use. I don't want an email scanner either. Nor do I want a firewall. I just want an AV. Getting harder and harder to get one of those.

25. CJsDad

CJsDad Registered Member

Staying on topic with Avira, I'm trying to figure out why some people want an http scanner and others dont need it.

So far this is what I understand....

Some want it for an extra layer of protection in their AV by stopping the malware before it gets "in the door"

Others dont want it because it slows down their PC by taking more time to load pages and that an AV regardless of the scanner will pick up the malware once it tries to execute.

So are you safe with it and are you safe without the http scanner?
    What if you are a very high risk surfer, would Avira still be the AV to use then?

Last edited: Jan 15, 2007
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.