AVIRA improvements you would like

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by buckshee, Feb 20, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JoeBlack40

JoeBlack40 Registered Member

Totally agree.

2. SweX

SweX Registered Member

They are already Long Gone according to Avira.

I see questions regarding the Nag Screen once a week :D

Last edited: Mar 4, 2011
  3. Osaban

Osaban Registered Member

I think it depends on the geographical area. I know Avira is targeting South Korea at the moment and I still get them for every update (in Korean!) but I don't mind at all. It is a very legitimate channel for promotion which lasts a fraction of a second.

4. LillyTown

LillyTown Registered Member

5. J_L

J_L Registered Member

That's because the tray and main interface are 2 separate processes.

6. johnyjohn

johnyjohn Registered Member

7. mantra

mantra Registered Member

by the way about the features , i don't want to do a comapre
    someone asked some avast features...

but look here http://www.avira.com/en/support-vdf-history
    it's outstanding
    there is not av with such update , look the items added:thumb: :thumb:

8. Matthijs5nl

Matthijs5nl Guest

It is kind of unfair to base an opinion about the protection capabilities on the number of items added with an signature database update.
    Companies can use different methods of signatures. Also why would a company add a signature if it is already detected by a generic signature or heuristics?

To avoid confusion, Avira is a great product, it is one of the few products I really like.
    I still think they should focus on continuous improvements regarding protection, detection, cleaning and performance (focus on their core competences). And for version 11 they should focus on usability characteristics. See post 3.

9. Zimzi

Zimzi Registered Member

Many users do not use heuristic, or set heuristic to medium or low level trying to reduce number of false positives, so I guess that adding of signatures is the most reliable way for detecting malware?

I can't agree more, particularly to "detection" part (although, when talking about prevention, detection and similar expressions typically there is some terminological confusion. :D ). I like Avira's philosophy. Detection is the most important task of an antivirus program. It is better for Avira to continue working to improve the detection and to be fully compatible with popular hips/sandboxing/isolation software but to desregard detection and put efforts to bundle antivirus, hips, sandboxing and isolation in same software. This is just my 2c, of course.

IMO, major task that lies before Avira is to find way to improve detection, especially the latest malware and certain types of malware, such as keyloggers, bankers and fake antiviruses. GUI improvements are always welcome and, in this sense, Avast can be a good example, but when it comes to improving detection seems to me that the Norton in the last 2-3 years made a very good job with SONAR and Reputation.

Last edited: Mar 5, 2011
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.