AVIRA improvements you would like

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by buckshee, Feb 20, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Boyfriend

Boyfriend Registered Member

-New GUI
    -Better ProActiv

2. atomomega

atomomega Registered Member

Well... virtualization, sandboxing and HIPS'es provide far superior protection than plain signatures, they actually eliminate the need for them.

3. Someheresomethere

Someheresomethere Registered Member

Not really. Some people don't want to worry whether their files will be really saved or not, or deal with continuous popups, you know.

4. buckshee

buckshee Registered Member

I had logged in to the Avira forum and tried to leave response at their New Suggestions but I saw no link to select to allow me to enter a comment such as Post Reply. In any event its good to see how a number of people feel and let them see if therte is a common thread

5. atomomega

atomomega Registered Member

That's not my point. My point is that those approaches provide far better protection. Ease-of-use is a different matter.

6. safeguy

safeguy Registered Member

Agreed. They need to keep on their strengths to retain the loyalty of their existing customers/users who are satisfied with their current product. However, I think that it's wise to look at it in another angle - they may want to consider coming up with a few changes to keep up with what the other vendors in the industry are offering. Ultimately, marketing sells...and $$$ needs to keep coming in to survive in the industry. (whether it's ethical and whether we need such an industry is a different issue)

True. Keyword is 'can' but not necessarily so. It's a matter of security vs convenience. However, to be fair, you're already at risk when the file is there running on your PC. One can use the persistent cache for frequent scans and make use of a full scan without it for those times they need to scan with the updated database..

It is true that the term 'cloud' is one trend that some vendors are picking up and marketing to users nowadays and that it has been loosely used to refer to different things. However, the differences matters. There are things like the signatures/database being on the 'cloud', collective intelligence (file is reported to the vendor to be analyzed), cloud-based reputation system (file is checked against a database of known good files, publishers, digital signatures) etc etc. Regardless of whether it brings 'improved protection' or not, those bring new features to the users. For e.g. not all users may want to keep a local database of signatures on their machines for example and hence the 'cloud' thingy may be an ideal option for them.

And those other "buzzwords" that you mention do appeal and has it's own uses to some users. To say that these " doesn't give any guarantee of improved protection" may be true for certain cases and individuals but it doesn't apply to everyone.

7. Zimzi

Zimzi Registered Member

In fact, detection based on signatures is far better protection because it is better to recognize malware and remove it in quarantine before being executed on PC. :)

For example, Trojan Banker will steal information about your credit card, ftp password or other sensitive data. Using a virtualization software it is possible to eliminate the traces of trojan banker but can not eliminate the damage caused by theft of sensitive data. In such case the best solution is to antimalware detects malware as soon as it is downloaded to PC and move it to quarantine before it is executed.

Replacement of signature based antimalware software with virtuelization, sandboxing, hips on computers of average users is a very dangerous thing.

Look at Comodo. These guys have the best hips out there, but did not abandone signature based antimalware software and its development is yet to come. Also, Symantec has the resources to make great sandboxing or hips but they still primary rely on signature based protection.

IMO virtuelization, sandboxing, hips are a great supplement for advanced users, but does not represent substitute for the signature based protection.

8. trjam

trjam Registered Member

Cloud is relative in how the vendor uses it. Eset is going to push it big time in their new beta and have a module just for it, if I am right. How they use it may be very definitive in how well it does and I am really hoping they may have tapped it differently.

Avira is old, but good, but old. It really needs a complete makeover in several areas and detection is not one of them. They have a chance to take their time and do it right by watching others mistakes at trying to incorporate new technology in their products.

If I were them I wouldnt even introduce a new product this year but sit back and see what works. Dump the crap, like parental control, and focus on what has worth.

Avast with its new ability for safe download is the best thing I have seen since Sandboxie.

Aviras has dropped thier prices over the last year and can just sit this one out instead of wasting resources to create stuff that just has no future.

9. The Hammer

The Hammer Registered Member

Your remarks are right on the money.:isay:

10. trjam

trjam Registered Member

buckshee, trust me, your thread has been noticed by all at Avira. Good work.:)

11. mantra

mantra Registered Member

by the way does avira personal free 10 real time (guard ) a fingerprinting/optimization ?

i remember avira 9 free needs 7/8 mb of ram , avira 10 60mb

thanks

12. Matthijs5nl

Matthijs5nl Guest

Great extension of my story trjam, I agree on all points.

13. mantra

mantra Registered Member

i missed the update pop up ,it was nice
    maybe avira could re-add it
    now i can only select invible or maximized

i would like to set a sound (*.wav) when guard found a virus
    i set a sound , i test with eicar but i got the usual peep peep o_O o_O

after the last update ,my avguard.exe is 90mb seems high
    can you check please ? maybe i got some issues

Last edited: Feb 24, 2011
  14. King Grub

King Grub Registered Member

It can reach that RAM usage occasionally, after a long and indepth scan of thousands of files in a short time, or after an update. It should go back down after a while.

15. mantra

mantra Registered Member

i used process hacker to calculate the ram used
    under private bytes i got 90
    under private ws 10 i guess , never understood how determinate how calculate the real ram used

by the way i use the personal version , is there a way to set a sound like a *wav when the guard find a virus ?

16. Dundertaker

Dundertaker Registered Member

The avira forums only allow people to comment on a post if they are "trusted members/community members"...(I wonder why that is...hmmmmmm..)

I tried to leave a comment once on a post before an also found no button to click...I was advised by somebody there to apply for "membership" prior to having to post a comment there..Oh well...:)

17. mantra

mantra Registered Member

18. greyowl

greyowl Registered Member

Mine is 21 mb.

19. mantra

mantra Registered Member

i would like to have to option in the free version to to open directly the details page when a virus is found

20. Dundertaker

Dundertaker Registered Member

Oh there is one I'd like to see very much....

The "symbol red triangle with the exclamation point" that I see after every scan. There are no threats/virus etc so it's nice to see it "green" maybe..all I see is red..red...black/white.:)

21. Adric

Adric Registered Member

I have occasionally dealt with Avir on other systems and I've used the rescue disk, but I have not discovered how to get Avir to scan a remote registry hive. If it is currently not possible, this might be an enhancement worth thinking about.

Al

22. CiX

CiX Registered Member

Less buggy auto update in Avira free version
    Better GUI

23. JoeBlack40

JoeBlack40 Registered Member

The Web Guard enabled in free version and more detailed configuration settings.

Now really...is it worth to write in here,i think Avira dev don't even bother to read and take into account all our "wishes".

24. mantra

mantra Registered Member

+1 :thumb:

25. mike21

mike21 Registered Member

1. Absolutely no sandbox/hips - keep application's core as it is, fast and effective.

2. Better Gui: Main window, settings panel, notification popups and a modern icon (at least an optional 3D umbrella)

3. Faster Boot Time: I think windows boot faster with couple of other avs

4. More detailed firewall panel.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.