AVIRA FREE

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by EASTER, Nov 15, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Macstorm

Macstorm Registered Member

Well you can't blame them for this as not everyone uses IDM ;)

2. Osaban

Osaban Registered Member

26.95 US dollars too expensive? As far as I know it is one of the cheapest among the best, if not the very best at the moment. The free version, which is exactly the same as the premium (less the antispyware) can't be any cheaper than any other after rebates. In fact I paid for the premium more as a donation than a purchase.

Last edited: Nov 16, 2008
  3. emperordarius

emperordarius Registered Member

That's true, I had that issue as well. You can fix that issue but pausing webguard before starting the download, then after all the connections are set, re enabling it:D

Or you can use a free alternative, there are a lot of good ones, like Orbit.

4. doktornotor

doktornotor Registered Member

Well, it does not slow down the download... you just don't see the real speed accurately in most application since the proxy uses "trickling" to check the contents.

5. emperordarius

emperordarius Registered Member

No, actually with IDM it prevented IDM from connecting at all...It was stuck to Send GET...

6. virtumonde

virtumonde Registered Member

Not the whole download just the start.IDM hangs 2-3 seconds.That is annoying if u download small files,or if u download often.The overall download speed for large files is the same.

7. zfactor

zfactor Registered Member

sorry meant for the suite. last time i checked it was like near 80$ or so for 3 pc's. i get kaspersky, norton and others all the time free after rebate you dont find those deals on avira. my office has almost 20 pc's in it we use so for me id rather buy kaspersky free after rebates 3 pc copies, actually all my office pc's have kis2009 on them and we didnt pay a dime for any of them after rebate from amazon just had different people buy them and mail in the rebates..

8. doktornotor

doktornotor Registered Member

Well, with small files, it essentially caches/buffers the entire file before releasing it back to IDM (or pretty much any other download manager), so yeah... it appears as "stalled", no way around this AFAICT. Also, if you install another AV which is using the same way of checking HTTP traffic, you'll see the same behaviour.

9. Page42

Page42 Registered Member

Can Avira FREE be loaded without the Guard and run successfully on-demand? By successfully I mean without any processes starting up that would conflict with my on-access, resident AV, avast!? Anyone?

10. rdsu

rdsu Registered Member

Yes, you just have to uncheck the real-time protection while installing it.

You will have a service running that is needed to update the AV, and you can also disable the tray-icon on windows startup...

At least, works great with avast!.

11. Page42

Page42 Registered Member

Thanks for that info! What is the name of the service needed to update? And does Avira allow users to update manually if they choose to? :)

12. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

You'll probably need to leave the updater service running, if it's not loaded and running, then updates will fail, in other words, you can't manually update when you feel like it, if that's what you're thinking.... but that alone should not conflict with another installed AV or other software.

13. rdsu

rdsu Registered Member

Kerodo already answered your question.

Only lacks:
    service name: Antivirus Scheduler
    filename: sched.exe

14. Page42

Page42 Registered Member

Yes, Kerodo, I prefer manual updating to auto-updating. And you're sure this is not possible with Avira Personal Free version? :(

Thanks, rdsu, for the service name. It sure looks like an auto-update process that could simply be disabled (sched.exe).

15. rdsu

rdsu Registered Member

You can update it manually or set an auto-update...

You can disable it, but remember that you need it for updates...

16. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

Yes, I am pretty sure. You can easily stop or disable the service, but then updating doesn't work. I recall trying to do this a year ago or so, and couldn't. Problem occurs when you want to update you'll need to start the service. I suppose you could manually start the service, but that seems like too much of a pain to me. But in theory I suppose it might work. You'd have to test it to see...

17. maddawgz

maddawgz Registered Member

I was running free, then i installed EXE thing was full malware, i thought Avira would have got it all or stopped it damn! :mad:

18. Arup

Arup Guest

If the exe contains spyware, free Avira wouldn't detect it, you need the paid one for that.

19. Page42

Page42 Registered Member

I am manually updating using the method described here by lurkingatu2 at the Avira Support Forum. The updating service has been stopped. I also got rid of the tray icon by stopping avgnt.exe from starting up, and this seems to have given me the added bonus of getting rid of the Avira splash screen I was seeing on boot up. I'm very pleased to have a top notch AV like Avira now serving as an on-demand scanner. If I ever grow weary of avast! I might upgrade to Avira Premium. :thumb:

20. farmerlee

farmerlee Registered Member

I run avira free as on-demand and personally i leave the schedule service running in auto. I have another AV program running realtime and it doesn't cause any issues or slowdowns with it. My laptop has been on 63 hours and sched.exe has used less than 1 second of cpu time.

21. Page42

Page42 Registered Member

Some users like auto-updating, others prefer manual. My dislike for auto-updating has nothing to do with cpu usage. I simply want the option to NOT install an update if there are false positives or a corruption issue associated with it. ;)

22. Sully

Sully Registered Member

Has anyone tried running the file preupd.exe in the Avira folder? That is what I do, and I have turned of auto updates and killed the scheduler service. You can even pass parameters to it from a shortcut or something to make it start in different modes, like reduced or hidden. I am pretty certain there is an option somewhere to get rid of the splash screen on bootup too.

Sul.

23. Sully

Sully Registered Member

The fusebundle is truly a manual update. Did you know that there is a url that downloads fusebundles faster than the shortcut link given at the avira website? And did you know that it is possible to actually get the 0,1,2 or 3 files (these are increments for total program,monthly,weekly,daily) only? Or really any file you want? All that information is in the logs. Just gotta play around a bit.

I actually made a program that seeks the versions of fusebundles and gets new ones. In the end I settled on just running preupd.exe between Wednesday and Saturday, and staying away from the other days as they were usually slower downloads. I personally find fusebundles to be a longer process.

Sul.

24. Page42

Page42 Registered Member

Nope, I didn't know all that. I am brand new to Avira, having just installed it a day or two ago. :)

25. Sully

Sully Registered Member

If all you want to do is tell it when to update, place a shortcut to preupd.exe somewhere, and use that for updating. You get the standard update as if you were using the scheduler, but when you want. Then kill the scheduler service.

Sul.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.