avira free v avast free

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by 1 2 3, Dec 22, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 1 2 3

1 2 3 Registered Member

how seriously can the results at av-comparitives be taken?
    avast has some really high numbers

the difference between avast pro and avast free is the script blocker? so if a user installs the noscript addon in firefox, it would be like having avast pro?

is anyone running avast pro with sandboxie? because after i shut down the sandboxed browser, i couldn't delete the contents of the sandbox, it was only after i shut down resident-protection in avast, that i could delete the sanbox contents, is this because of the scriptblocker in avast or some other active shield? any suggestions?

avira free does not have proactive protection? does this mean that only after an infected file is downloaded, that avira free will detect it
    on the other hand, avira premium will prevent the download itself?

which one has better proactive protection, avira free or avast free? both of these have impressive statistics at av-comparitives, but if avast free has real-time protection, does this make it superior to avira free?
    also avast free detects spyware while avira free does not? so the 'on-demand comparitive' results at av-comparitives would apply to the free version of avast also but not to the free version of avira ?

2. Saraceno

Saraceno Registered Member

You should read the second forum post from the top:

A vs B = closed thread
    https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=180128

Avira premium has a web scanner, like avast free. Both aim to alert about 'malware' before it is downloaded.

I have no problems deleting the contents of the sandbox with Avast, so you might look at other programs you're running.

Also, it's not the end of the world. Try both free versions and see which works for you. :)

3. HURST

HURST Registered Member

and BTW, downloaded Malware is harmless until you execute it. And when you do, Avira free (or any other AV) *should* catch it.
    (grossly simplifying things)

EDIT: Also, I THINK Avira free scans files when they are written to the HD, so no problem either.

4. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.