Avira free Antivirus vs Windows defender on windows 8

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by 123blackjack, Apr 28, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 123blackjack

123blackjack Registered Member

As we know Avira free version does not have email (client) scanning, which i believe the defender real time protection has.. So if i am installing avira free edtion am i downgrading myself?

Please shed some light.

Also i am not interested in cloud features of AV products , so protection cloud in avira pro is of no use to me.

2. TomAZ

TomAZ Registered Member

I struggled with the same issue a couple years ago. My search ended when I found Avast Free which does provide email (client) scanning. I average about 350 pieces of email per day and Avast has worked just fine.

3. guest

guest Guest

Eeerr..., I think we're not allowed to discuss this type of discussion. ^_^"

I don't use Win 8, but I think it's the same as MSE. AFAIK it doesn't have an email scanner, nor does Avira free. If I understand it correctly, email scanner isn't much of use since your AV should scan the email attachments when they're arrived on your PC. IMO it's better to use any AV you want and then use Sandboxie and run your email client software sandboxed. :)

4. 123blackjack

123blackjack Registered Member

So these days email scan is not a necessity as before , since attachments are scanned by all AVs. and the real time protection (on access) too am i right?

Also how windows 8 mail app attachments are handled is it using the same api that AVs use for scanning attachments (as in outlook)?

How about cloud scanning ( in panda or avira or any other AV suites) is it actually worth it?

5. anon

anon Registered Member

1) Is there a security risk without Avira AntiVir MailGuard? = As long as Avira AntiVir Guard is active, there is no direct security risk. Moreover, Avira AntiVir MailGuard can remove virulent emails and attachments, before they reach the email program.

Also here:
    http://forum.avira.com/wbb/index.php?page=Thread&postID=764709#post764709
    http://forum.avira.com/wbb/index.php?page=Thread&postID=647020#post647020

2) A vs B:
    Disallowing "Which is Best?" or "This vs. That" Threads and "YouTester" Video Publications

6. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

Thread Closed As Per Policy.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.