Avira Forum problems

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by Mele20, Jan 14, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mele20

Mele20 Former Poster

I installed antiVira Personal Classic Edition five days ago. So far, I really like it! Now I want to post a problem at the aVira forum. So, I registered and the board says "welcome Mele20" and shows me as the newest member at the bottom of the page. So, I go to post a reply in a long thread that concerns the problem I have and I encounter two problems:

Many of the buttons are in the German language. So, I don't know what button is the reply button. The posts themselves are in English and I chose English when I registered. The buttons should be in English right? I am using Fx 1.5.0.9. Does the aVira board not like Fx? Start, PN box and FAQ are in English ....other buttons are not such as antworten, zitat, andern, and melden.

Secondly, when I go to reply in the thread, I get a page saying Access Denied:

Access denied.
    Access to this page has been denied for one of the following reasons:

* You are not logged in. Some pages are restricted to users only. To login, fill in the information below. To register, click here.
    * Your account is closed or not activated. Please contact the Administrator in this case.
    * You are trying to access a page restricted to certain user groups. You do not have permission to enter this page.

Logged in as: Mele20 [logout]

It says I'm logged in soo_O

I think it said I was supposed to get an email when I registered but I never did and at the end of registration it said "click here if your browser doesn't redirect you in a moment". Fx never redirects so I clicked on the link and it said Welcome Mele 20. So, if I was supposed to click on a link in an email which I haven't gotten (and may never because Road Runner ISP blocks a lot of mail and I should have gotten it quickly if I was going to get it unless there is some current problem with Road Runner email servers that is the cause of the delay) then how come when I clicked on the link after registering was I welcomed as a new member? Clicking on a link in an email must not be needed?

Very confusing registration process.

2. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

Re: Avira problems

many forums require that you activate your account once u register. u can login and change settings but u cant post until its activated.

as for teh language, the button are still German in IE so its probably something with the forum.

3. Littlemutt

Littlemutt Guest

Try mousing over the button _ I get an English 'tag' showing the button name.

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.9a2pre) Gecko/20070114 Minefield/3.0a2pre Firefox ID:2007011404 [cairo]

4. Mele20

Mele20 Former Poster

I don't recall encountering a forum that required activation by email that allowed you to login before the account was activated. That is most confusing.

Well, if I am supposed to wait for an email...it hasn't come. Does aVira take forever to send the email? I may never get it. I have had this happen many times and I just don't bother with whatever forum it is, but in this case I would like to use the forum. But if Road Runner has them blocked and if just one Road Runner user has complained about aVira and unwanted mail RR will have blocked them. The email may still appear ...but I am not very hopeful. I suspect Road Runner has them blocked.

If I were to change the email address (I do have one web address but it is like any web email, a real hassle to use as I can't use it in Outlook Express), that wouldn't get an email sent to me there as the software thinks I have already received the email at the Road Runner address I supplied...so what would I do to fix that?

5. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

see if theres an option to contact the admin.

otherwise create another account but this time use a disposable email address from mailinator.com, dodgeit.com, or similar.

6. pilotart

pilotart Registered Member

Nearly a year since I registered, never got an Email about it. A mouse 'hover' should open an English text balloon for the German [button].

Your 'Profile' is on the board, if you still have a problem, I would PM a Moderator like Barrie

(click his [PN] on lower right of that page.)

7. Mele20

Mele20 Former Poster

I can access my profile but just changing the email address is not going to get the required email sent to me. I cannot access the PM system. Access is denied. There is nothing to click on on Barrie's page at the bottom right except to look for posts by Barrie or to add Barrie to my Buddy list. There is no way to PM him. Besides, I am denied access to the PM system. I am also denied access to the email system.

I've had problems like this at forums before. There is NO WAY to contact anyone. This is precisely why forums, including Wilders, should not totally ban Anon posting. There should be at least one forum for anon posting for problems such as this I think. I have had to just give up on other forums and not use the forums. In this case though, I really like aVira and I don't want to get rid of it and I want to be able to use the official support forum. If I wasn't really impressed by this AV, I'd just uninstall it as I don't have a lot of patience for problems like this. Plus, setting up a forum in a such a poor manner where someone who has a problem registering cannot access any help ...is unable to contact anyone.. is indicative also frequently of sloppiness with the software that the forum is supporting and makes me wonder if I have been wrong about aVira. Maybe it is not such a good AV if the forum is set up this poorly.

8. dan_maran

dan_maran Registered Member

Mele20 - Your profile says you are online at the Avira forums right now.
    I sent a PM to Barrie
    HTH

9. JohnnyBravo

JohnnyBravo Registered Member

I've tried to register to Avira forum ( a few weeks ago) , but after subbmiting my registration , I still haven't received the activation email.

10. Mele20

Mele20 Former Poster

Thank you! I know I could register again and use a webmail address but then I couldn't use Mele20 which I guess doesn't matter...I could use Mele20a or an entirely different user name I suppose, but I like using Mele20.

I know the forum says I'm online at the forum but I am not activated.

It says to contact the Administrator when this problem arises, but I don't see where or how to do that.

I called my ISP's national Help Desk just now and was given addresses to contact Road Runner Abuse to get the block lifted if that is indeed what the problem is with my not getting the email, but that requires I know the exact address of Avira's email server and if there is a block it could take a long time to get action. I'll have to not use my ISP's email in the future in situations like this. It is possible also that there is a problem with the board software and the email may have never been sent.

11. Mele20

Mele20 Former Poster

That sounds like there is a problem with the board's software rather than my ISP blocking them if you never got the email either.

12. lodore

lodore Registered Member

i always have those problems.
    the last one was with the superantispyware forums it wouldnt let me register for ages but about i week ago i finaly did.
    also I seem to have the problem that not many forums accept yahoo emails address due to spam.
    plus the yahoo spam filter blocks some activation emails.
    your right thou if you can register you should be able to use the pm system to pm a mod only.
    if you can only pm mods you cant spam the forum like the avast forum spamming a while back.
    so you can get help to activate without risk of spamming the boards.
    lodore

13. dan_maran

dan_maran Registered Member

Mele20 - Your problems should be solved I rec'd a reply stating you had been personally authorized by an admin :)
    Original message in your PM inbox here.

-Regards
    LK

14. Mele20

Mele20 Former Poster

Unfortunately, it still is NOT fixed. :(

I was able to access the PM system just now on the Fx tab that has been open at the forum for a couple of days now. I clicked on Barrie and composed a thank you message for helping get the authorization problem cleared up. I went to send it and nothing happened when I clicked on the send button. So, then I tried to preview and that button didn't work either. So, I opened Opera and went there. I had never been there before on Opera so I needed to login. I could not login! I get an error message saying either my user name or password is incorrect. I know both are correct. I wrote the password down in my Password folder I keep by the computer.

I can't use the "forgot password?" option as that would send an email to the Road Runner address that I think won't arrive. I guess I can try changing the email address to a web address and then use the "forgot password option"...maybe that will work.

I can't believe how difficult this process is...it should be so simple! Ugh. :(

15. Mele20

Mele20 Former Poster

These are the WORST problems I have EVER encountered with forum software. It just gets to be more and more of a nightmare. Now others are posting that they too have problems with the horrible avira forum software.

I still cannot post, cannot send a message to a mod or an email. Their software out and out lies also. It claims you can post withOUT being registered and activated. That is a blatant lie.

Plus, Avira has just added a security image in the registration process and one person is complaining that they could not tell what to type and had to try more than 10 times before they accidently typed the right thing. Well, my eyesight is not good enough to be able to type those security images. I can't use forums (with Castlecops being a rare exception) that require that because I can't read what I am supposed to type.

Maybe I should just give up. I really like aVira antivirus but I cannot get registered at the forum. Their software also was saying my password was incorrect. I know I typed the correct one. Finally, I changed it but that made no difference. The software still said I typed it wrong. Then I decided to change the email address to a web address. The software announced that my account was thereby suspended until I was authenticated again! That is crazy! You should NOT have to be authenticated again just because you changed ISPs and got a new email address...that is just plain utter nuts and arrogance against the users.

Anyhow, I NEVER GOT THE EMAIL IN MY WEB EMAIL ADDRESS EITHER. Their software is just plain broken. I have posted about this at my home site of dslreports also and a member there tried to help me by registering and posting on my behalf. He thinks someone else is using my nick there. So, if that is the problem, I decided to try and register again under a different nick. The rules page will not allow me to click Accept. That is grayed out. My only choice is to click Reject. Then I cannot register. I have tried it on IE, Fx and Opera. All have a non-responsive Accept button. So, then I tried on a virtual computer and also on a third physical computer. All computers, all browsers, will not allow the Accept button on the Rules page to be clicked. Others at dslreports say they had trouble and it was grayed out for them also but finally by moving up on the page the button finally became enabled and they could click. I can't click. I have tried so many times. I'm sick of it at this point. If their forums are this badly run...then even though I have no problems other than a bunch of FP's with aVira antivirus, I probably can expect a lot of future problems based on the forum problems. I was going to buy aVira after a 2-3 week trial of the free version. So, they are shooting themselves in the foot by these awful problems with their forum. They should be in this thread and at dslreports thread helping to resolve the problem.

16. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

there is no problems with the avira forum, the problem is you.

C.S.J, your account has been successfully activated.
    Click here if your browser does not forward you automatically!

and yes i can post: http://forum.antivir-pe.de/thread.php?threadid=17001

all this was done in 60 seconds, beginning to end.

17. Mele20

Mele20 Former Poster

Hey! That is totally uncalled for. It is rude and nasty and a mod should remove your post.

Please explain how I am to blame for NO email from Avira? I even used a web mail address after I learned that Road Runner is blocking the domain for spamming. Now, I am certainly not responsible for Avira spamming people and my ISP responding by blocking am I? Plus, how am I responsible for not getting the email in a web email account?

These are aVira problems. You owe me an apology.

18. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

i dont see anything nasty in my post at all, and you definatly wont be recieving no apologys from me,

ive just signed up to the forum, and posted within 60 seconds, this was all my post was about.

if you didnt recieve no email, i suggest you check your spam email settings as it could be located there, and if your ISP still does not let you have the email, i suggest you getting a free email account from the many companys out there offering one.

it is not an Avira problem, but as stated in my first post... it its yours.
    the registration for the forum, is no different to any other.

19. trjam

trjam Registered Member

Calm down folks. It is your right to use or not to use Avira. No one can argue that. But tons of folks do use it, visit their forums and love it. End of story.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 16, 2007
  20. Littlemutt

Littlemutt Guest

Mele20
    What browser are you using? Clear cookies and cache and try logging in again.

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.9a2pre) Gecko/20070116 Minefield/3.0a2pre Firefox ID:2007011604 [cairo]

21. fred128

fred128 Registered Member

Mele20,
    The upper half of the forum is in German for German posters. The lower half is for English speaking posters. I doubt that this is the source of your problem but you should know about this. Just for the heck of it, try signing in and posting in the lower portion of the forum.

22. pilotart

Can't we all just get along:-*
    Mele20,

Have often seen posts of "AntiVir Problems" that seem to be unique to one or a few Systems and not universal to all users, have always thought that was just an illustration of the fact that not all Systems 'get along' with All Security Applications (or combinations of them).

For me, this only happened with SandboxIE and my Internet Explorer. Fix for Me was to switch to BufferZone, but I also realize that this was My Problem and SandboxIE will still provide excellent Protection for most users. If I have a Problem and describe it in a Post and then see that no others have This Problem, I jump to the conclusion that it is My Problem and see no need to say anything BAD about that Program or people behind it.

Above All, I would Never take That Type of Problem so Personally.:-*

As I told you before, I NEVER Received ANY Email from AVIRA from my Forum Registration.

I will Also tell you that I have NEVER Received ANY SPAM from AVIRA either.
    (BTW did receive an Email to tell me about a PM in the AntiVir Forum, so there was nothing 'blocked' to cause this.)

Long ago, I had a Problem similar to what you describe with the ZoneAlarm User Forum,
    one difference was that ZA's Spam had no problem arriving.:D

The Great Don Hoover was able to fix my ZA Forum Problem, but by that time, I had forgotten what I wanted to post.
    The above feature is also something that I have never seen for the AntiVir Forum.

The fact that you are seeing it would be an indication that there has been some sort of very recent modification with their Forum and AVIRA is noted for sometimes needing to 'fix' their software releases:D

23. Jarmo P

Jarmo P Registered Member

I could get into Antivir forum without any problems. After I registred there today.

I do have to say that C.S.J's original answer to Mele was way out of line and rude. It is, someone gets things working and gloat when others are not able to do that.
    This forum should be for help and not giving other posters in need some non helping comments.

Jarmo

24. trjam

trjam Registered Member

Yes, I think a little house cleaning in this thread will be performed soon, and right on time to.:)

25. pilotart

Jarmo,

Might have provided some clarity for Mele to know if you (or C.S.J) had needed an Email from AVIRA for Forum access. Was not done for my registration or access, but that was long ago...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.