Avira False Postitives?

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by Hiker, Jan 9, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hiker

Hiker Registered Member

Anyone know how long it takes Avira to get back to you if you email them several zipped and password protected files that you think may be false positives? Or if they do?

Since the files in question have been quarantined with a .qua extension, VirusTotal shows no determinable results.

Also, since I'm a newbie and can't post to the Avira forum, how do you configure to send file through the GUI? I have free AOL and Gmail but use Thunderbird. In several test message attempts it won't work

Last edited: Jan 9, 2009
  2. jlo

jlo Registered Member

3. Hiker

Hiker Registered Member

Thanks. I've done one of them. It took a bit, I was almost ready to give up. Once it was finished it said it was the same as the program originally detected.

I'll see what they say next week.

4. virtumonde

virtumonde Registered Member

Just to be sure if this was the answer than i think you should send the samples again and select in the "File type:* Suspected False Positive(Not Malware)

5. firzen771

firzen771 Registered Member

well all the samples/FP's ive sent have been answered within a day. dunno why its taking them so long :/

6. Hiker

Hiker Registered Member

I got an email with a link. Not only did they acknowledge the ones I sent via email last night, but the same through the web tonight. The alert was for

EXP/ASF.GetCodec.Gen

Now, I'm actually thinking it was a real threat, but I wanted to know for sure.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2009
  7. Hiker

Hiker Registered Member

Yup, that the option I used.

8. emperordarius

emperordarius Registered Member

9. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

Even the world's best most powerful engines in the world will occasionally experience a temporary lag at some point(s) in time but they will always quickly recover with all cylinders at full force again.

But i can understand the concern.

EASTER

10. firzen771

firzen771 Registered Member

myabe its prefered, but i dont think you HAVE to, ive sent in heur/generic detection through their website file submitting page.

11. redwolfe_98

redwolfe_98 Registered Member

nowadays, i always submit files to avira at the avira website.. i don't know how long it takes to get a reply, but i get them..

if you submit files to avira through the antivir program, you will not get a reply.. not an informative one, anyway..

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.