AVIRA Cleaning Ability

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by cupez80, Apr 4, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cupez80

cupez80 Registered Member

How about AVIRA on cleaning infected machine ? i know that its detection rate(both signature and heuristic) is good :D

2. FRug

FRug Registered Member

IMO cleaning an infected machine is overrated nowadays. Back in the times of dos viruses it may have been reasonable, today however you usually run into two different problems.

In case of a real virus infection, it is likely that a large portion of your files have been corrupted/destroyed, so your system will never be fully restored to a normal state.

In case of a backdoor/trojan/worm infection, you do not know what else has happened with your system. Someone may have had full access to it, and your box isn't your box anymore. I wouldn't trust a once infected machine farther than i can throw it. Removing a few files and reg keys doesn't mean that your system is in a safe state again.

3. lucas1985

lucas1985 Retired Moderator

Backups are the best "AVs" at cleaning infected machines.

4. cupez80

i agree with you but i just curious about how AVIRA does it ? :D

5. aigle

aigle Registered Member

I will say it rather poor. See my thread.

https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=162364&highlight=Avira antivir

But I use it as I know it will prevent my machine good and has good detection. If anything get past, I can remove even by other methods as long as it is detectable.

6. aigle

aigle Registered Member

Absolutely correct.

And if u can believe me it is probably one of reason for Avira not having good cleaning on their task list as Antivir is basically for enterprise where every one has a good backup and doesn,t bother about cleaning, they demand better detection though.

7. Paradutch

Paradutch Registered Member

If things get realy worse there are many other options to clean a PC without a hard Format.

I always install a Linux distro (preferably the new Xandros 4.0 in dual boot mode with my XP) with full access (ie read-and write ) to NTFS partitions.
    If you run most AV programs they will logfile the virus,trojan or whatever nasty you have. In case it is NOT to be cleaned,deleted or moved to quarantine by your AV program you start up (dual boot here) with Linux...go to the corrupt file or the trojan and delet it.

problem solved:) Done that allready several times...with success.
    But anyway...it's always good to keep a recent backup.

Para.

8. ethan_arends

ethan_arends Registered Member

I could say same thing about Kaspersky...Some months ago while i have installed KIS, i disabled rezident av for few minutes (i don't remember why). After i enable the av, it detected some trojan(one rezident file). Because it can't clean it offer me a reboot. After windows it start, again detected but it can't clean again. Again...reboot. After 3(three) reboots i installed NOD32. Quess what? It cleaned right away.
    Some experience with BitDefender (this time rezident av it was running)

I'm not saying that NOD32 is better on cleaning, it's just an experience.

9. kjempen

kjempen Registered Member

It would be interesting to see AntiVir in this test.

10. Huupi

Huupi Registered Member

How about infected backups !!

11. lodore

lodore Registered Member

i have heard the other way round.
    in the nod22 forum a while ago there was a thread about a virus that nod32 couldnt clean. they even used some special tools from eset and that didnt clean it. they installed kaspersky it used advanced disinfection technology to stop the trojan then it rebooted it started up and it was gone!
    there is always two sides to every storie
    lodore

12. aigle

aigle Registered Member

It can happen with any AV but u have to see which AV performs better most of the time. Ofcourse it is personal experience, there are no tests indeed.

13. trjam

trjam Registered Member

Aviras cleaning ability is great. You wont here any of their support people telling you to boot in safe mode to delete a nasty.

14. lucas1985

lucas1985 Retired Moderator

Then, your backup strategy is flawed.
    You can boot outside of Windows (BartPE, Linux LiveCD, etc) and do a forensic study.

15. aigle

aigle Registered Member

That,s a funny statement. Avira can,t remove even a simplest malware that is running in memeory. For any active malware to be removed by Avira, booting into safe mode is a must while I have seen others doing it without booting into safe mode in some( though not all) cases.

U are fan of Avira but please don,t put statements that are totally false. U might not have bothered to read the thread in my post#5.

Last edited: Apr 6, 2007
  16. cupez80

i agree with @aigle. recently i tried on VMware AVIRA to clean some nasties but it failed.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.