Avira AntiVir ProActive

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by waters, May 13, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. waters

waters Registered Member

Just had email from them inviting me to test the new product so will try it

2. Macstorm

Macstorm Registered Member

Re: Avira AntiVir ProActiv

same here :thumb:

3. Jin K

Jin K Registered Member

i just wanna say this bye bye kaspersky :thumbd:

4. waters

waters Registered Member

Jumped too soon,will have to wait for the later one for win 7

5. Taliscicero

Taliscicero Registered Member

Probably not, Kaspersky is adding some new tech in its new version soon.

6. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

I assume there is no hope for his feature to end up in a free version of AVIRA... ?

7. aigle

aigle Registered Member

Any screenshots?

8. Jin K

Jin K Registered Member

they are just adding some garbage everytime with a hundred of error and bugs :mad: i was a kaspersky fan 1 day but not now!! they just dont even want to update their existing features!! look at their hips for now its a garbage and they dont want to release any update to it!!

i get about 30 or sometime 50 new malware daily believe me kaspersky is doing bad :thumbd: even twister av like what a man called raoh said in their forum is doing much better than this ****

for me kaspersky is dead :thumbd:

9. Leo2005

Leo2005 Registered Member

it will be in the free version.
    in fact the free version is the one which is in beta now.

10. progress

progress Guest

Avira ProActive in the free version? :eek:

11. BrendanK.

BrendanK. Guest

Wowie :eek:

So now free security can be just as good as paid :cool:

Avira Personal and ProActiv +AVG Linkscanner + Free firewall with HIPS like Comodo or Online Armor and you have a winning combo :)

What do vendors have to gain from free users though? I mean companies like Comodo, Avira and AVG, how do they make money from these free softwares?

12. Martijn2

Martijn2 Registered Member

I think by showing that their product is good, which in turn temps people to get a even better solution (the 'professional' paid version). You can see the free version as a advertisement for the paid one ;)

13. Baz_kasp

Baz_kasp Registered Member

For you maybe...not for the rest of the world ;)

1. HIPS gets standard updates all the time.

2. V2010 (due for release soon...) has more HIPS improvements including new detection methods and an extra form of heuristics that just got granted a patent in the USA. (Kaspersky don't update their HIPS, right...it's complete garbage!....in fact it's so bad- read about a recent test here- https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=241141&highlight=HIPS test)

3. Proactive defense just got another bump with extra detection features.

4. Heuristics detects and blocks more things on execution (with a HEUR verdict) so if it isn't detected via right click, doesn't mean it will not be blocked)

5. Every software has bugs, including the beloved Avira ;)

6. Twister might be doing well for a relatively unknown company and good for them....but unfortunately I don't see them making any effort to make themselves known in Europe or the USA and am almost certain they could not cope with an influx of customers from these areas.... if FDDS detects some things that you think Kaspersky HIPS doesn't...then I can almost certainly reply with more samples that HIPS does but FDDS doesn't...it's almost certainly a two way street. In fact, I could probably write a batch file that could disable said antivirus and most of the others who haven't bothered with a decent self defense and in that case there is no point in all the fancy detections if all a malware has to do to bypass you is delete your updates folder.

You might have beef with certain pieces of software but at least try to keep your comments in perspective.

Has anyone got screens from this beta thing, perhaps Stefan would like to comment- is it full HIPS or more like "anti-bot" style tool?

Last edited: May 14, 2009
  14. Jin K

Jin K Registered Member

1. HIPS gets standard updates all the time.

oh yeh update on the air

2. V2010 (due for release soon...) has more HIPS improvements including new detection methods and an extra form of heuristics that just got granted a patent in the USA. (Kaspersky don't update their HIPS, right...it's complete garbage!....in fact it's so bad- read about a recent test here- https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=241141&highlight=HIPS test)

can i ask you a question

is this what you called hips improvements are now included with v2010 because it gives the same result as v2009

also im talking here about 30 to 50 samples daily not 10 samples !!!

3. Proactive defense just got another bump with extra detection features.

even the PDM that in V7 is much better than this hahaha the PDM in V10 until now its like a pic in the program :D

4. Heuristics detects and blocks more things on execution (with a HEUR verdict) so if it isn't detected via right click, doesn't mean it will not be blocked)

oh yeh believe me not even a single sample that was detected on execution by heur

5. Every software has bugs, including the beloved Avira ;)

oh yeh but at least when they detect a bug they fix it not generating more!!

6. Twister might be doing well for a relatively unknown company and good for them....but unfortunately I don't see them making any effort to make themselves known in Europe or the USA and am almost certain they could not cope with an influx of customers from these areas.... if FDDS detects some things that you think Kaspersky HIPS doesn't...then I can almost certainly reply with more samples that HIPS does but FDDS doesn't...it's almost certainly a two way street. In fact, I could probably write a batch file that could disable said antivirus and most of the others who haven't bothered with a decent self defense and in that case there is no point in all the fancy detections if all a malware has to do to bypass you is delete your updates folder.

You might have beef with certain pieces of software but at least try to keep your comments in perspective.

even the mighty self-defence of kaspersky can be killed by a lot of malwares ، also if you got a decent detection and hips you can block the batch that you said and for me kaspersky has faild on both of them look at its score on AV-COMPARATIVES its getting bad everytime

symantec ، mcafee ، avira ، bitdefender ، nod32 are getting better and look at them now :thumb:

while kaspersky is getting bad :thumbd:

also this is my opinion if you dont like it leave it

15. lordpake

lordpake Registered Member

How come Avira thread just turned into Kaspersky bashing o_O

16. andyman35

andyman35 Registered Member

Really?:eek: If that's the case Avira free will blow away many more paid rivals.:thumb:

17. progress

progress Guest

Interesting question :D

I also think so :thumb:

18. icr

icr Registered Member

@ Jin K
    calm down dude if you don't like it just uninstall it no reason for bashing:cautious:

19. Nizarawi

Nizarawi Registered Member

can anyone send me a link for download avira proaktiv plz

i registre to beta tester but i still wait the confirmation

20. Kees1958

Kees1958 Registered Member

@ Nizarawl

Go to this link and log-in, you will find it in the download section of the beta corner. http://betatest.avira.com/pages/index.php

@Aigle

See pic

Not much to show really, just setting sensitivity (low, medium, high( and blocked/allowed programs. My guess from the description is that it has sensors for vulnerable system area's. Accessing them, triggers an rule based behavior decision. Possibly each trigger adds up to the bad behaviour score (like the Isrealian HIPS Neouava Guard did), files collecting to much bad behaviour points with a random, not recognised, pattern are send to central analysis servers. Interesting cases are analysed by human experts. Recognised patterns are stopped. Sort of same way an inversion engine works in artifiical intelligence diagnosis systems (e.g. AI medical applications for heart surgery).

Such an approach would have few false positives. Considering Avira is German and does a lot research with Universities, and Germany also has a large chemical/medicine industry, it would make sense this knowledge would cross over (and would kick start their development).

Attached Files:

21. raven211

raven211 Registered Member

Is medium the default level for Avira ProActive? What setting do you've it set to and how is it working out for you?

22. aigle

aigle Registered Member

Thanks.

Not sure how good it will be. I thought it might be something like TF or Mamutu but it seems not so good. Let,s wait n see.
    BTW Neoava Guard was Iranian not Isrealian. :)

Last edited: May 15, 2009
  23. cupez80

cupez80 Registered Member

has anyone has screenshot of AVIRA ProActiv warning ? i tried several malwares but still no warning from AVIRA ProActiv....

24. progress

progress Guest

That's an interesting question :thumb:

25. Kees1958

Kees1958 Registered Member

Oops he would not like that, apologise for that :oops:

Well Mamutu and TF are quite different, Mamutu used to kick in much earlier, only with intelligent reduction it was quiter. TF is the norm to beat in behavioral blocking (using pattern recognistion for all).

It seems that time has changed perception on behavioral blockers (pattern recognition for limited)
    1) PRSC -> AVG ID: new check at install of files for known malware and sample collection for programs in the grey zone, this to filter out known bad ones and tune internal rules.

2) PrevX3: really a smart break through by using AGE sensitivity (it makes sense to only monitor behavior of zero day and zero hour, so skip older programs which are likely to be found by blacklist scanner).

3) PrevX/Panda Cloud: collects suspicious behaviour, by analysing it on central servers, this reduces the time between a malware is launched in the wild and the detection, simply because all new programs are analysed. The succes of rootkist came from teh fact that the were not known, so rumours of a rootkit being in the wild and the first detection (after install they were not trackable by traditional AV), could take two to three months! For an Av it is much easier to fight a malware when they know its characteristics. The AV simply provides a specific desinfection for the machines having send a trigger. PrevX also works on this principle.

My educated guess is that proactive also takes the above approach (most likely 3, possibly also 1). After all three (AVG, Prevx Panda) have an AV to assist them. TF also experimented with an AV, but they used it to filter out bad ones/malware at first intrusion. Their pattern recognition was so good, it did not increase detection rate. The smart thing of the others is that they do not use it to increase detection rate, but lower False Positives and system load. Only A2 is somewhere stuck in between, but I am sure they will learn from their competitors.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.