Avira AntiVir ProActiv- Does it really work?

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by eplose, Jul 28, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. eplose

eplose Registered Member

Well, I haven't seen it working yet.
    I thought it is one of the more promising features of version 10...what's going on? :rolleyes:

2. iravgupta

iravgupta Registered Member

It's the same as avast! Behavior Shield - good ideas, but yet to be implemented to realize their full potential. Heck, some mods over at Avira forums even recommended disabling it when users were having issues with their systems.

Last edited: Jul 28, 2010
  3. Zimzi

Zimzi Registered Member

I saw it in the action back in time of early beta testing. I guess that Avira will add more rules in the future?

4. eplose

eplose Registered Member

I don't know...but it is kind of misleading claiming having a behaviour analyzing feature when you don't really have it working :doubt:

5. iravgupta

Avira also claims to have a feature called 'automatic updates'. And over at Avira forums, they openly claim that the update scheduler in their product is buggy, i.e. does not work as expected. And no fix has been made available. And this is not an advanced feature per se, its a basic, core requirement. Says a lot, don't you think?

6. shadek

shadek Registered Member

No idea why they're not activating their 'cloud'. Nearly all other AV-vendors have added it already. Avira's losing it.

7. pykko

pykko Registered Member

Yes, I was wondering the same thing.
    I have also seen it in action in Beta stage, but since then, nothing.

It's basically useless feature.
    I'll post the same question on their official forum.

8. icr

icr Registered Member

You did:doubt: well I never saw it working properly for me, some or the other issues led me to uninstallation of the ProActiv module:mad:

9. bellgamin

bellgamin Registered Member

Avira earned "Advanced+" rating -- the highest possible- on AV-Comp's May 2010 tests of the Proactive capabilities of various AV programs. So, for WHATever reason, Avira does well proactively.

When I run Avira in teal-time, its behavior-blocker (BB) component works smoothly & pops-up cogent/relevant alerts from time to time. However, I must say that I prefer using a stand-alone BB with configuration options -- such as Threatfire once was (before its proponents evidently became somnolent).

As to updating, I have used Avira paid versions for >3 years & have rarely encountered an update interruption or scheduler problem (3X/day).

10. iravgupta

1. The problem has always been with the free version, first it was the servers, now it's the scheduler. Monetary issues aside, leaving this problem unresolved for so long does not bode well for the company's image.
    2. Avira mods themselves acknowledge the issue. But it remains at that. An acknowledgement.

11. bellgamin

bellgamin Registered Member

Not to mention their notorious notifier. :argh:

12. Noob

Noob Registered Member

Lol, haven't used Avira for quite some time but i still install it on some friends PC's when i set them a setup, i hope they don't have any problems LOL :rolleyes:

13. Osaban

Osaban Registered Member

For a big company like Avira, introducing ProActiv as a useless feature would be counterproductive, especially considering how German technology is usually launched.

I keep uninstalling and installing it every now and again, and I must also admit that either there isn't as much malware out there as some reports claim, or it is being fine tuned as we all know it has caused a lot of problems with many computers.

Some explaining from Avira would certainly be welcome, especially about how to use ProActiv/Application Filter/Blocked/Allowed.

I also would expect the number of FPs to decrease dramatically using ProActive (even though it has hardly been a problem on my machines).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.