avira antivir PersonalEdition Premium

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by lodore, Jun 30, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lodore

lodore Registered Member

Hi

how often does antivir update?
    and is ita better antivirus than say e.g. nod32, kaspersky?
    if you have it please tell me more about it?

and other info.

thanks in advance
    lodore

2. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

It updates few times a day. I can call version 7 a very good antivirus. Version 6 was pretty crappy back then... So if you like the interface and stuff you certanly can't go wrong with it.

3. shek

shek Registered Member

you could find the update frequency from here.

4. lodore

lodore Registered Member

i have just looked at the updates for antivir for this month and it includes anti phising. i currently have f-secure but what i want to know is does f-secure have anti phising?

5. pykko

pykko Registered Member

avira improved a lot during the last period...it's among the first antiviruses. They've added also an improved heuristic engine. The new av-comparatives.org test will tell us probably how good is it. But anyway, you could use it without troubles....there are small chances to get infected with it. :)

6. aigle

aigle Registered Member

Antivir is one of the real good AVs. If they just improve the false positive issues, then it can be a real good option to go far.
    I wonder such a nice AV being free. Free version is said to have poor spyware protection but personally during my playing with antispywares/ adwares I have founnd it wonderful in this regard as well.

Last edited: Jul 3, 2006
  7. pykko

pykko Registered Member

the free version detects evry malware listed on tgeir website except for those clasified as: "ADSPY"
    There are also some classified as: "SPR" which are detected by the free version also. :)

8. lodore

lodore Registered Member

on the main page is says the license for avira antivir PersonalEdition Premium is only 20 euros per licence which is about £13. if i wanted to buy it for my pc i live in the uk do i have to pay in uk prices and is it more? i did notice a little bit of text saying something like if buying in non europe you will have to pay tax on the prices.

9. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

Last time i checked, UK was still a part of EU...

10. Blackcat

Blackcat Registered Member

Price in UK is still only 20 euros and this includes the dreaded Value Added Tax. At the present rate of exchange this works out at just under £14.

11. lodore

lodore Registered Member

thats like half the price of nod32, kaspersky, bitedefender, f-secure well you get the drift

12. ellison64

ellison64 Registered Member

Antivir is very light running too ,with practically no system impact.What i would mention though is that it has had many problems on the older OS ,most of which seem to be ongoing.If you have an older OS then use a trial edition first ,for the full trial period.
    ellison

13. lodore

lodore Registered Member

I would be using it on xp so is there any problems using it on xp?
    of course if i got antivir i would need a standalone firewall till the firewall version comes out

i am thinking about trying kaspersky but i have heard is uses alot of resourse but i have got a 120day on a cover disc on computere shopper.

14. Blackcat

None here BUT you will have to try it with your particular software/hardware mix.
    Instead of listening to hearsay, again try it and see. IME, you will be pleasantly surprised ;)

15. ellison64

Antivir is much more stable on XP ,and shouldnt present you with any problems.Support for XP Home edition ends on the 31/12/07 so that may be a problem for some prospective buyers,though i dont know what end of life cycles for other avs may be?.
    Ive run kav 6 (and5) on my 98se /256 ram machine with no resource problems at all,though the xp version would be a little heavier due to its proactive modules that are not implemented for 98/me i guess.I would definitly try kav too as its a lot lighter than some folks make out.
    ellison

EDIT :...Confirmation may be needed about antivirs end of life cycle.Thier page says 31/12/07 ,for xp home and pro ,however some posts at thier forums suggest 2012 for the pro version.
    http://www.avira.com/en/support/product_life_cycle.html
    http://forum.antivir-pe.de/thread.php?threadid=10102

Last edited: Jul 5, 2006
  16. Blackcat

That's only the official date when MS ends support for XP BUT this does not mean that support for Avira XP will also stop on this date. As long as they have customers they will continue to support both XP and even non-NT systems.

Their estimation is that support for XP will continue until at least 2010!

17. ellison64

you beat me to the EDIT ;)
    ellison

18. Blackcat

Overall, most AV-vendors will continue to support Windows Operating systems well past their sell-by date. Just look at how many AV's still support WIN 98/Me with the size of the customer base being an important factor. It's only fairly recently that support for WIN 98 is being dropped ( the new F-Prot for example ).

I was also a little concerned by the apparent AntiVir XP "end of life" dates but Stefan assured me that support will continue well past this date.

19. ellison64

I agree with you,but avira really needs to alter thier web page ,as thats what people are going to look at.As far as i know there has been no official statement to the contrary (though obviously stefan would know ) .It would be good for them to put prospective buyers minds at rest.Its a little confusing at present (imo).
    ellison

20. Blackcat

I agree ;)

21. SDS909

SDS909 Registered Member

It would be NONSENSE for a company to even THINK about stopping support for WindowsXP within the next 5 years.. It will take at least until 2008 until it is safe for many people to consider running Vista anyway!(not to mention if they miss their 2007 launch date) I know I ran 98SE for about 2 years after XP was released, and was glad I did.

22. ellison64

I agree fully.To be honest i think ,supporting the older systems for another 5 years may be lucrative for an antivirus company too.There must be millions of home users still using 95/98/me ,and if they are like me ;) probably wont change until thier computer breaks down.AVG still supports 95 even.I hope that they continue to support older OS for the forseeable future ,as it would mean quite a big slice of the market for them if other avs stopped thier support.I wouldnt change my operating system because an av vendor did not support it any more,but i would change my software to one that did.
    ellison

23. lodore

lodore Registered Member

i agree

24. mercurie

mercurie A Friendly Creature

Same here!! Dropping support for XP before end of the decade is not a good move. :p

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.