Avira AntiVir PersonalEdition Premium for 6 months

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by yanzilme, Jan 2, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

Mine just updated after my last post, so I guess it's just a little less frequent on weekends perhaps...

2. Diver

Diver Registered Member

I have seen at least one other major vendor frequently skip Sunday updates.

3. EliteKiller

EliteKiller Registered Member

I have the scheduler set to check for updates every 6 hrs., and it appears that the definition file has been updated today.

Attached Files:

4. Mele20

Mele20 Former Poster

This is because there has been a problem with the PREMIUM servers TWICE recently. VDF #182 started the problem. It passed the QA but then wasn't permitted online and the #183 never got in the list at all and from then on until #194 we couldn't download them and then finally could get one but not the next. I went more than 48 hours with no updates but they were on the server and I update hourly and I could connect but would be told there were no updates where there were! It is now all fixed. Given the holiday timing of this problem Avira got it fixed as quickly as they could but I still have to observe since this was the second recent Premium update server problem that Avira's achilles heel seems to be updating problems for all versions not just free.

The GUI is confusing and misleading on whether or not you are up to date as you have to expand what is there to see what VDF you have and the date is misleading too as it claimed I was updated to a date that was WRONG. I have filed a bug report for the beta on this and since ver. 8 will have a new GUI that we beta testers are eagerly awaiting to test, I think this will get fixed for ver. 8.

You can set Avira, by making a new job, to update every hour or however you wish. Avira has an average of 5 updates every 24 hours. You can also set the update to invisible. Avira does update on the weekends ...sometimes 3-4 updates but we just got over New Year's and it was during New Year's weekend and through the 5th when the Premium servers had a problem. We did have updates on New Year's eve, but we could not download them and the problems continued until last night. There's a long discussion in the forum about it. Avira believes in transparency regarding the updating process so you can track the progress of any update.

http://forum.avira.com/thread.php?threadid=31749

http://www.avira.de/en/threats/section/vdf_info/index.html

Something else you might want to consider when deciding whether to get the Suite is that Parental Control and IM protection will be added soon. There are other additions planned soon for the Suite that will not be in the Premium version.

Last edited: Jan 7, 2008
  5. Victek

Victek Registered Member

Regarding updates, I just installed Avira PE Premium on Vista Business and I can't get the updater to start. The program appeared to install without problems and the services are running. I've tried running the updater "As Administrator", but no joy. I also run Threatfire and PC Tools Firewall Plus, but I'm not getting any warnings from them. Any suggestions?

6. pykko

pykko Registered Member

HERE you'll find all the details concerning Avira's definition updates: date, number of viruses added, etc.
    They usually have 6 updates per day and in week-ends only one update most often on Sunday night. :) (When dangeours and high-spreading threats appear they have more updates in the week-end also)

7. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

i know, thanks pykko ;)

but in all honesty, i aint really interested :D

8. LoneWolf

LoneWolf Registered Member

Did you check the logs of your FW?
    Thinking maybe your FW is blocking the updater from starting by not allowing it internet.
    Just a thought.

9. Victek

Victek Registered Member

I lurked in the Avira forum and discovered that the problem is caused for Vista users by a missing registry key. Creating the key solves the problem. If anyone needs more information about this mention it in this thread and I'll post the details.

Last edited: Jan 8, 2008
  10. BuzzStone

BuzzStone Registered Member

I just installed the 6 month trial yesterday. Is this the norm for memory usage? This is via Process Explorer (Private Bytes).
    avguard.exe - 62,308k
    sched.exe - 4,924k
    avmailc.exe - 2,500k
    avgnt.exe - 6,196k
    avesvc.exe - 38,792k

11. Mele20

Mele20 Former Poster

a missing registry

I know that is a typo but it is sure funny! :D

12. Mele20

Mele20 Former Poster

What is avesvc.exe? I don't have it. I don't have avmailc.exe but that is because I didn't install the mail module. The others seem high, but I use Task Manager and if I look at virtual memory usage (or peak memory usage) those look about right but at memory usage they are way too high especially avguard.exe. This is on XP Pro SP2.

13. Brian N

Brian N Registered Member

I don't have those 2 either.

14. pykko

pykko Registered Member

Pretty strange you don't have avesvc.exe. It's a part of Avira... I have it, but I don't know precisely what is its meaning.

15. trjam

trjam Registered Member

avesvc.exe is a process belonging to Avirar which protects your computer against Internet-bound threats such as spyware and trojans which can be distributed through e-mail or attack directly to the computer allowing unauthorized access to your computer. This program is important for the stable and secure running of your computer and should not be terminated.

16. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

That's ridiculous for avguard.exe, mine is very low usually. Try checking it again, perhaps it was scanning something when you looked, causing a temporary spike in ram usage...

17. Victek

Victek Registered Member

Yeah, that was a good one. I went back and corrected it :cool:

18. Espresso

Espresso Registered Member

I only have the guard running. No interface , scheduler or anything else and it takes up 6MB (private Working Set). I just looked again and it's dropped down to 236kb.

19. Mele20

Mele20 Former Poster

Ahh...that is why I am not familar with avesvc.exe/. I never use an AV's mail scanner.

20. fred22

fred22 Registered Member

avguard.exe - 7,272k
    sched.exe - 2,360k
    avmailc.exe - 2,224k
    avgnt.exe - 1,808k
    avesvc.exe - 928k

21. Brian N

Brian N Registered Member

This is how it looks on my system, however I couldn't care less about how much memory it uses as I have plenty. CPU is what I'm worried about and there's nothing bogging down my system in Antivir :p So all is well.

Attached Files:

22. KoRnGtL15

KoRnGtL15 Registered Member

Hello,

I'm new here. Came across this post and have been using AOL Active Virus Shield. Since my license is up in a month or so. I figure what the heck. I might as well give this Avira a shot with the free license for 6 months. So far I have left everything on default and doing a system scan as I type. I wanted to know. Are the default settings okay to leave? Or can someone suggest optimal settings for this program? Running xp home edition. So far it has found 2 things. It asked me what to do and I told it to quarantine it.

23. Mele20

Mele20 Former Poster

24. KoRnGtL15

KoRnGtL15 Registered Member

Hey thanks for your response. Being a complete noob with this program. I googled for some pics showing me what your telling me. I did come across a thread over at the Avira forums and seen your name. Someone had posted pics. Now are these settings the same as your settings within that post you linked me to.

http://forum.avira.com/thread.php?threadid=31380&sid=51e154d8e2265d41d0c8a81b82e48174

25. Mele20

Mele20 Former Poster

Pretty much the same. artefact0 shows Avira set to alert if it has not updated for two days (the third picture). I would change that to alert after one day. I would also change, in the second picture, under archives. If your computer is older then perhaps leave that like in artefact0's picture but if you have a newer computer change it.

Attached Files:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.