Avira AntiVir 9 released!

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by Cutting_Edgetech, Mar 17, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

I'd hardly call 350 KB/s slow updating...

2. mantra

mantra Registered Member

i mean if the free version download updates (full pattern or incremental update)?

i mean when i update the free version ,does avira download every time the whole virus database or only incremantal files ?

thanks

3. Thug21

Thug21 Registered Member

Should be the same download method as the paid version - incremental.

4. JosephB

JosephB Registered Member

Bellgamin,

Are you running Avira AntiVir 9 Premium together with MD on the same PC ?

... If yes, are there any issues using Avira 9 Premium with MD ?
    ... Are you using Avira AntiVir 9 Premium with all (3) Guards Enabled - WebGuard, MailGuard, and Guard ? ... Any issues with them ?

5. buckshee

buckshee Registered Member

Anyone noticed that the system scan is *extremely* slow. A scan of my system was twice the time of Avira 8

6. Montecristo

Montecristo Registered Member

For me, the system scan is faster by about 5 minutes compared to version 8. No problems here.

7. ePost

ePost Registered Member

Well, the overall rule is: only one firewall. Only one realtime anti-virus program. Only one realtime anti-spyware program. You do not necessarily need to disable the spyware scanner inside ZoneAlarm Pro - but that depends on what kind of realtime functions it has. I know that the ZoneAlarm staff worked on adjusting their program so that it could run together with Avira Antivir and that compatibility problems was dealt with. The realtime protection inside SUPERAntiSpyware should be disabled. If you really want to be sure, you should do a search in the programs Forums. Or even ask in their threads. The reason why this is a good idea is, that their moderators knows all about compatibility problems. Ask Avira first. It's a very fine freeware program and the moderators in their forums are reliable and quite knowledgeable. The ZoneAlarm question could be presented there or in ZoneAlarm's forums.

But having said this: since you have SAS and ZoneAlarm in pro versions - do you really need Avira also?

Avira Support Forum: http://forum.avira.com/wbb/index.php?page=Index&911a491a
    SUPERAntiSpyware Support and User Forums: http://forums.superantispyware.com/
    ZoneAlarm User Forums: http://forums.zonealarm.com/zonelabs/

Last edited: Mar 20, 2009
  8. TonyW

TonyW Registered Member

It's obviously enhanced in the paid for version. There's an improvement or at least some additions not included in the basic; it's enhanced, improved upon, but you pay for that bit extra.

9. virtumonde

virtumonde Registered Member

They could not use "enhanced" for the free version becouse it didn't existed till now.JUst my 2 cents

10. Arup

Arup Guest

Enabling the multi core option on my dual quad core makes Avira scan around 3 times faster than the previous version which was no slouch, the task manager shows all cores being used.

11. 2good

2good Guest

I just lost my tray icon it disappeared on me I wonder if anyone else is having the same problem.

12. firzen771

firzen771 Registered Member

does rebooting fix it? that always does it for me.

13. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

I really don't see any problem with slow updates but then i yet to go Premium either, so there may be a slight difference but still the updates run reasonably enough on this end. On the other hand NOD updates for me are smokin quick!

14. Macstorm

Macstorm Registered Member

I don't get why the Anti Drive-By feature is disabled by default at installation. IMO, it's the most important security add-on for the Webguard and I see no difference in browsing speed with it enabled or disabled (at least on IE8 )

15. acr1965

acr1965 Registered Member

16. Stefan Kurtzhals

Stefan Kurtzhals AV Expert

For those people experiencing a slow down with the new version 9, please specify if the slow down affects the on-access guard or on-demand scans and if you have enabled the "optimized scan" and "integrity checking for system files" options. If the optimized scan option does cause a slow down for you, what kind of CPU, OS and hard discs you got?

17. mantra

mantra Registered Member

i will try the free version
    and if it's fast and light like nod i will buy

but i have a question about WebGuard , i guess it's the save feature that nod has

but objectively does WebGuard really increase the malware detection ? i mean makes your pc more safe?

because Guards Enabled should find them and block them

18. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

Many Greets Stefan

I can't really make much of a to do over the update slowdown really. Now mind you this is on the Avira 9 (free) ok?

I got the integrity checking for files and registry checked and engaged but not the prevent processes from termination.

I have noticed with the GUARD that sometimes after it identifies and alerts to a potential that the icon redraws are definitely slow to recover, but this IMO is exclusively to a slower box 1250 Ghz with a mere 512MB Ram and in know way reflects some issue in the Avira 9 mechanism, so we can count that out AFAIK, also FYI, XP Professional SP2 with get this, also running ProcessGuard 3.5 for executable control as well as Mamutu for Behavioral Blocking control.

Theres a lot to be said for an AV that is not pinched or disrupted when run in tandem with these other apps i mentioned.

So with that said, i'll pass the floor to other members to offer their set ups & specs for you in case they see something i don't figure as a issue.

And so many thanks for a Superb AV and finally a user defined audible acoustics alert. That means everything to this user going back to Windows 98 when i used a sound wav for "open programs" to announce whenever some executable was initiating whenever the system was idle.

EASTER

19. mantra

mantra Registered Member

i can test on 3 desktop and 2 laptop
    i will do some test and i will report pc specific and time of scans

is there a cleaner to make a clean install of avira 9?
    i know there is one but i guess it's for avira 8

20. rookieman

rookieman Registered Member

21. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

Stefan, no one answered this for me. Will dual core optimization ever be implemented for Gaurd too? This is what's the most important for me. Who cares about on-demand really?

22. rookieman

Is this what your looking for?Avira AntiVir RegistryCleaner
    http://www.avira.com/de/support/support_downloads.html

23. mantra

mantra Registered Member

yes
    but it's for avira 8 , look they are old version
    i would like to make some test , so i would like to have a cleaner for the 9 version

24. rookieman

This is the one I ran to get rid of the v9 freebie.I also had to delete the Avira folder in program files in safe mode as well.It took 4 attempts for me to get rid of this folder though.Then I ran ccleaner until it showed no results.

25. IceCube1010

IceCube1010 Registered Member

I have never experienced any slow downs with ver 9 or ver 8. I have just about everything checked in ver 9 and it scans a bit quicker than ver 8, which I thought was quick to begin with. I am running the free version on Win XP home, Win XP Pro and Vista Home. For all of my clients, I recommend them getting Avira Server edition for all their servers. It's just my way to say thank you to Avira for such a great free solution.

Ice

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.