Avira and 'This application is trying to act like a server and has been changed'

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by Fly, Mar 31, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Fly

Fly Registered Member

Windows XP SP2, IE 7, Avira security suite version 10.

After the latest IE update I got the 'This application is trying to act like a server and has been changed' message.

Does IE 7 act like a server ? What does that mean ? In this particular case.

2. SweX

SweX Registered Member

No answer to your question but, why haven't you updated to SP3 and IE8?

3. Fly

Fly Registered Member

Because I haven't felt the need for SP3.

At one time, there were issues with AMD CPUs.
    I have all the current updates, so I have no need for SP3. I don't fully trust it, I don't know what is in it.

I know that updates for SP2 will cease, but I'll deal with that when the time comes.

IE 8 ? I once tried it while attempting to fix a problem. What I remember was IE 8 showing off how 'cool' it was. I have no particular need for IE 8. My PC doesn't support hardware DEP.

4. shadek

shadek Registered Member

It could be that ProActiv is constantly communicating with the servers in order to identify/detect your local files and defend you against threats. Just my 2 cents.

5. xorrior

xorrior Registered Member

It means it's listening for a connection on a socket. Maybe it's catching interprocess communications.

Check for DLL injection and do a hash check. Also do a rootkit scan.

"I don't fully trust it, I don't know what is in it." lol..the same can be said about most of the NT subsystems. That logic doesn't make much since. SP3 adds core security improvements in policy and kernel protection.

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...AD-BC34-40BE-8D85-6BB4F56F5110&displaylang=en

Last edited: Apr 1, 2010
  6. Zombini

Zombini Registered Member

Is AVIRA 10 over-paranoid ? Looks like an FP to me.

7. FRug

FRug Registered Member

This has nothing to do with a FP or ProActiv, it's the firewall.

Like any other personal firewall i know it notices you have changed the application (IE Update), and it is trying to get client/server style connectivity which is normal for a browser.

You probably haven't enabled to trust the "default" vendors in the config, so the firewall asks you what to do.

Just hit google with "IE7 acts server firewall", and you'll come up with a bunch of hits for zonealarm, f-secure etc.....

Normal, expected and desired behavior IMHO, as long as you did not select to trust the default vendor list.

8. bollity

bollity Registered Member

i used many firewalls and never got a message that internet explorer want to act like a server.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.