Avira 9 problem with the update

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by blacknight, Aug 12, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tipstir

tipstir Registered Member

Those of you who have update problems do you ever run file cleaners on the system. Might want to try FCleaner seems to remove more than Ccleaner. I testing out FCleaner now. Still why is your virus def files getting corrupt? When you uninstall Avira do you use Revo Unistaller or do you just do it through add/remove.

Everytime I load and install this Avira PE it updates! Continuously updates also.

2. TerryWood

TerryWood Registered Member

Hi guest

Its not my thinking thats adrift, its....

The free version of any product should be a gateway into a company. Not an obstacle. Yes there are stupid people about, those who buy into the argument that Aviras service on the free is so bad that it must get better if you buy.

Indeed people like yourself with your own self seeking comments contribute to this argument, you bought so everyone else should.. I simply make the point that, if I were in business I would wish to be professional. Yes, Avira is the best ( or near the best) on detection, but the worst on updating. Look at Avast, not the best on detection, but SUPER reliable on updating. So which would would you have superb out of date definitions or reasonable definitions but consistently upto date?

Every so often someone or something comes along that changes the scenery, Windows years ago, Google possibly. Avira is definitely not one of them. They are parochial in their thinking.

Terry

3. guest

guest Guest

Sorry, but this is irrelevant (and off topic) as their *IS* (at times, too often) a real problem with bandwith and servers. This is what it is about in this thread. No cleaners involved. ;)

Who says that it is? o_O Besides you? :cool:

There is no need to uninstall Avira (free) all the time as this doesn't change the update server problems at all. ;)

Then you have been *very* lucky lately. :) - Look at avira forum how many people for long time are complaining over slow servers and not working updates.

4. guest

guest Guest

Says who? :argh:

Maybe you should be founder of your own av company then? ;)

You are not getting it: What would happen if half the world would want to use avira for free? Who pays that? What does the company gain? Aren't there employees that want money for working?

Their userbase is big enough as it is now I believe. What exactly happens if people like you are stopping to use Avira? - Right. - Either they pay (like me) or they go away to the competition (the freebie one! ;)) and suck there the bandwith, complain after a while ... etc. .. and avira servers are recovering from stress. :D

So I think it is very clever to *NOT* try to finance the infrastructure so that at some point 'half of the world' can have FAST updates for FREE. - You don't get this I see that. ;)

You know there are wishes, thinking, fantasies ... and then there is reality also which has to bring some bread on the table! ;)

Funny. ;) - Don't you see how they try to be professional? It's a profession providing top-notch av product, don't you think? - And btw: did you hear of their foundation to which 5 EUR of your 20 EUR are going?

You should go straight to avira and talk to them as you obviously would make all things better .... investing in new server farms etc ... really you should try to get the job of CEO! *thumbspressing* ;)

Last edited: Oct 17, 2009
  5. tipstir

tipstir Registered Member

What's off the topic? If the user uninstalls the software and re-installs it, Avira leaves a lot of junk files behind and the folder. I've done it many times. Yes servers can be part of the problems too. Can't rule that out! You can't be there holding the user hand, you don't know what they're doing they might uninstall it they might not? If they do, they need to make sure all of it gone off the system. Both Ccleaner and FCleaner are freeware. Any what ever works. AGain there isn't a need to uninstall it unless you want to download and try another one from someone else.

6. guest

guest Guest

SORRY tipstir, I am taking that back! ;) - I *now* see that you answered probably to #42 from 2 days ago where indeed one single user had corrupted virus definition file in this thread, right? ;) - Never mind, I simply didn't have that on my radar when your posting crossed my sight out of nowhere. :D - Btw: Some reference would have prevented that. ;) - Right, or me reading this thread from the beginning where one also can find a link for manual updating if normal update servers are to slow or out of order. :D

7. cqpreson

cqpreson Registered Member

I use Avira Free Edition.Yesterday I tried to update manually,but failed.The situation was the same as yours.The speed is zero.I checked my firewall and Internet connection,but found nothing.

Now I have to give up Avira and switch to MSE.

8. mvdu

mvdu Registered Member

Avira's free servers don't have to be as fast as the Premium servers, but they should be reliable. Too bad there are these reports about updates not working.

9. cqpreson

According to my yesterday's investigation,some people who lived in the same country as me updated normal,but the time must be in the morning.

Why is that?I still can't understand that now.

10. guest

guest Guest

Don't know about yesterday but right now the link from #24 for *manually* updating signatures is working at full speed for me. - Of course this can be no solution for every day other than as an exception because file size is 29 MB. - But if you desperately need new signatures and can't afford buying premium license this could be the way for the time being. ;)

11. cqpreson

I am in China.I haven't found a way to buy Avira license.I am waiting for Avira coming into Chinese market.

12. guest

guest Guest

Did you ask their support already about that? Is there really no way to buy a license from China? If you have a creditcard (or a friend is having one, maybe even here in Germany?) this should be working? - But to be honest I don't know anything about that or what could be the specific problem and obviously you have tried all sort of things, right?

13. cqpreson

My friend sent a email to ask about the time of Avira coming into Chinese market.But Avira responded they had no plan to enter Chinese market.Maybe I only can buy a license via the Internet bank.I'll try to ask my family to buy the license via the Internet.
    German friend?I also want a friend,but I haven't indeed.

A question puzzled me.Why don't Avira enter Chinese market?Many Chinese like Avira,but Avira still doesn't release Chinese Version.In China,we can buy Kaspersky,ESET and so on,but can't buy Avira.That disappointed folks.

14. acuariano

acuariano Registered Member

now,,is not only update issue..i subscribe to their forum..and i can't reply to other post,i e-mail then and they respond,is beciause your're new..
    and when i ask why i can't post a htread..they said "you may have a problem with your browser"..
    the most familiar answer is "BUY PREMIUN"....
    isn't this a poor business strategy?...

15. Fly

Fly Registered Member

I think you would be able to get an English version of Avira in China.
    They accept credit cards, Paypal, and a few other options.

As for Avira not developing a product for the Chinese market: it's a huge undertaking, having to deal with the Chinese language, culture, malware landscape, legal system, developing support for what is basically a very different culture. And can you imagine the strain of 200 million Avira users updating their free Avira version ? I'm not sure at what price AVs are sold in China, I can imagine that the costs for Avira would be higher than the revenue.

I don't know about the other AVs. There is a history of China being considered such a great market, having about 1 billion people. However, being able to penetrate that market and to make a profit has often failed for non-Chinese companies.

16. acuariano

yes i use free avira,,is a great antivirus,,but with this disadvantage
    you know in 2 todays a lot of viruses grows and your pc can get infected...
    waiting for the update.

17. acuariano

i have nat-router-windows firewall.and avira...

18. TerryWood

TerryWood Registered Member

Hi All

Ref MattDE comments thereof, and that "I do not get get it".

I do not need, nor would I wish to open an antivirus company. The market is highly competitive yet with a sufficient number of naive, possibly stupid customers willing to support lousy service.

Your thesis that " What if everybody wanted to buy the free version..". It just does not happen like that. That is what marketing does, it persuades people to go for better whether its necessary or not.

I simply point out that if a supplier cannot get his free product right, why should I even consider moving up their product range. I am a defender of no individual company per se.

However, I do defend those companies who operate in a logical professional way way. It is my considered opinion that Aviras way of operating is both illogical and self defeating. Put simply " If you use our free version we will treat you like a dog t..rd. If you move up market in our product range we will treat you better. The free version is not being used as a "come on" but as an insult. It defies all marketing and business logic.

MattDE

Have you looked at the plethora of threads, posts on Avira? One thing stands out over the last several years. LOUSY UPDATING.

Argue all you will BUT you are on a loser.

Terry

19. guest

guest Guest

And yes, thank you for proving my thesis with every posting even more. ;) - For starters: my name isn't MattDE. :cool:

And you proved that your sense of humour is lacking even more than your comprehension of anything. ;)

Here's another thing 'you don't get': We possibly stupid customers of premium version aren't getting lousy service for our money! At least not regarding updates etc. - Premium update servers ARE very fast lately. :p

No, again you didn't get it. ;) - Maybe put on some glasses before posting? :cool: - My point was: What would happen if 'half of the world' wanted to USE (not buy!) the FREE version and who would pay for the costs avira would have because of that (supporting infrastructure)?

I told you 'why'. - But you refuse to understand anything. - If you'd pay your problem would be gone. Isn't that a reason? Would also be much better for your blood pressure I guess. ;)

No, you want all things for free and in top quality and if you don't get this (here we are again ;)) you complain and complain instead of switching already your av solution and live on happily after. Until the servers of this vendor are going down also. ;)

Same could be said about your postings by the way ... ;)

So now you feel treated like an animal :rolleyes: and all because something which is FREE isn't the way you want it to be? - Did you pay anything? - I tell you if the premium servers were as slow as the free ones I would complain because I have paid for this. - What is your justification? Besides world isn't working the way you dreamed it to be? ;)

As if you would incorporate any marketing and business logic. :argh:

What if they don't want or need more FREE users? - Don't you think there products have well enough reputation (through tests, reviews etc.) as it is? - And what if a high percentage of free users isn't like you (just complaining) but like me (paying for an upgrade)? And if not .. who cares when free users are wandering around to the next program? - Think about it! :D

You can test the premium version 30 days for free, you know? You don't have to use the free version. - So users can be attracted even if there would be no free version at all now that avira is established. But this you are also no getting, right? ;)

And I say nothing else: the free update servers aren't (too often) reliable and at times very slow. You can read my statements all over the board if you are able to. ;)

See, I don't argue at all about *that*? But you didn't get that either! ;) And btw who exactly looks like a loser is the big question. - Or isn't it? :D

20. SammyJack

SammyJack Registered Member

Terry Woods is dead on right.
    If they are going to offer a free product,the updates should be reliable.
    They do not have to be as fast,"push",etc,but they should work.

from guest:

"What if they don't want or need more FREE users? - Don't you think there products have well enough reputation (through tests, reviews etc.) as it is? - And what if a high percentage of free users isn't like you (just complaining) but like me (paying for an upgrade)? And if not .. who cares when free users are wandering around to the next program? - Think about it"

I thank you are 100% right,about not wanting free users.
    I thank you are also right that like ESET,Kaspersky,etc,Avira's reputation
    is proven.
    I thank you are wrong, that the majority of free users, upset with the update problem ,upgrade to Premium.
    I thank most free users probably never even check their update status.

"Red Umbrella in the Tray? I can Happy Click Away!!".probably sums up the majority of free users attitude.

If for whatever reason Avira does not want free users,be stand-up,about it and withdraw the free version,rather than leaving the free user to figure out he is not wanted after months of compromised protection and update guff.

21. guest

guest Guest

No, that is not what I think. :) - But think about it: every single former free user upgrading to premium or whatever is a 'win' for Avira. - Every former free user of avira going to another vendor because he never will pay for his av solution ... is a win also: less traffic at their servers and more on the ones of competition! ;)

The goal for such company is not to provide half of the world with free antivirus (maybe Commodo wants that, maybe they want something else, who knows :D) but to get widespread and then earn at some point money. They HAVE TO else there would be no company soon and who wants THAT? ;)

I think Avira doesn't not want to be the bad guy here but it is simple economics folks. - Just imagine how many new users are each day getting the free version. That adds up pretty much over the years I guess. And someone has to PAY for all these server farms. - Volunteers to the front! ;)

But wait ... you are the guys which DON'T want to pay .. right! - See, that's the problem at some point in these hard times. And don't forget Avira is a company very different to others doing that foundation thing. So it is clearly not ALL about the money for them!

There must be a reason that not all vendors are providing free versions (besides trials). Maybe they are more clever .. at least they get no complains! ;)

Don't know if Avast & Co. would be so happy about that? ;)

Last edited: Oct 18, 2009
  22. voltron

voltron Registered Member

Hi:) ;

Same here -- no problems in Avira 9 Premium. It seems to have that kind of problem whenever there's a big update going on. I'll check with the Avira forums on this issue.

voltron:cool:

23. SammyJack

SammyJack Registered Member

@guest:

All very valid points.

However I feel there is a simple method to achieve the ends of
    upgrade or migration and end a lot of frustration also,while being totally upfront.

At some point rather than volunteer forum members harping on
    the monthly cost of servers for the free being equivalent to the price of a family car,or the "entitlement issues" free users have,an Avira staff
    member should say once and for all:

"Guys,here is the deal. We are popular. Our free version is REALLY popular.
    We do not have the servers to adequately dispense large updates for
    the free version.
    This is going to happen on a regular basis,and as you can see,is
    becoming more frequent.
    We do not intend to fix this issue.
    Move to our paid product,or to another solution.
    In the future,we will post a notice of high utilization of servers for the free edition,when appropriate.
    Other than that, no update threads will be answered in the Free edition Forum.
    Have a Nice day,And thanks for choosing Avira!"

The operative quote being: "We Do Not Intend To Fix This Issue."

The ball is then totally in the users court,and they can make their decision.
    If i had had the benefit of such a statement,I would have made mine much quicker.

24. bellgamin

bellgamin Registered Member

For paid users, Avira's updates are on time. Well... mostly on-time.

Roughly speaking, Avira's updater is quite smooth.

Avira isn't perfect but (in the words of Charley Brown) it's "pretty perfect."

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.