Avira 9 Free Problems!

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by rookieman, Apr 8, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rookieman

rookieman Registered Member

Has anyone had the problem of uninstalling the Avira freebie and loosing their internet connection?This only started happening when I tried to uninstall the V8?The same thing just happened when I tried to uninstall v9.I ran their registry cleaner in safe mode and then I ran Ccleaner and 1 click maintenance to clean up the leftovers.This is on a Dell 3000 with XP Home installed.Any ideas?

2. raven211

raven211 Registered Member

I've heard about other security soft. giving some users similar problems, though I find it very odd being Avira Free which doesn't contain a FW.

My bet would be a registry cleaner doing something it shouldn't do. Not criticizing any of your software - only saying that registry cleaners indeed can be risky if they happen to go a little too deep or detect something which is dangerous to modify or delete.

3. rookieman

4. IceCube1010

IceCube1010 Registered Member

You could try re-installing Antivir 9 and reboot to see if you internet connection is there. Then try un-installing it in Safe mode.

Ice

5. raven211

Are you sure you mean that I could be "corrected" on that? Do you mean I'm wrong, or is there something I don't understand here?

6. rookieman

My bet would be a registry cleaner doing something it shouldn't do. Not criticizing any of your software - only saying that registry cleaners indeed can be risky if they happen to go a little too deep or detect something which is dangerous to modify or delete.
    I said"You very well could be correct on that",meaning perhaps that's what happened to the uninstall routine I used.Is this a bad routine I'm using?It seems like Avira is the only one that gives me a rough time of it.

7. the Tester

the Tester Registered Member

I haven't had any problems uninstalling Avira.

I uninstall by way of Add/Remove program, reboot, then run a registry cleaner.

But it does sound like a registry cleaner may have been the culprit.

8. raven211

Right. First I'm pretty sure it read "corrected", which got me pretty confused - now I get what you mean. :rolleyes:

9. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

Avira uninstalls very cleanly from my experience and what I've heard others say. My money is on the reg cleaner or some other culprit. That's the risk you take using anything that messes with the registry. That's why I never use one in Win, and would rather leave a few tidbits of an app hanging around instead of doing some real damage to things. Hopefully you'll be able to sort it out somehow.

10. Arup

Arup Guest

Use the Avira uninstall utility under Safe mode and everything is wiped out, no hidden drivers etc. left behind.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.