Avira 2013

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by darts, Sep 19, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sealord

Sealord Registered Member

The following are in the program files folder. I am assume my case is typical... even after declining the two options on installation in the paid version.
    ApnIC.dll
    ApnStub.exe
    ApnToolbarInstaller.exe

Right click each file's Properties and Digital Signatures and the signers show as Ask.com.

2. zfactor

zfactor Registered Member

correct i have the same but i assume they are there from when the program extracts the installer and are not used if you choose not to install it.

3. acr1965

acr1965 Registered Member

Why are they still there after every update? Does avira download them every single update if they are not present? Avira must be able to somehow check and verify the items are missing from the folder before deciding to download them again. How can a person truly be sure they have actually opted out of anything if this sort of behavior is going on?

4. zfactor

have you checked to see if they are actually in use at all?? i dont have the system with avira in front of me to check right now

5. zfactor

still have the sleep issue at times. i thought for a while it was fixed as i had not seen the issue at all now its popping up again. from what i can tell it seems that its being caused by avira trying to update while the system is going to sleep. im not 100% positive about this but each time it happens after the bsod i get a avira failed to update message after rebooting, otherwise i have actually seen the cloud part working already. it detected a few things and asked me to send them to the cloud to which i agreed and now it scans those items fine with no detection on them. i agree i was hoping for more from this release but overalli like it and it works good so far

6. m0unds

m0unds Guest

just out of curiosity, have you tried reporting the issue to avira support?

7. zfactor

yes and stephan knows about it as well

8. andy_in_kenya

andy_in_kenya Registered Member

Hi all, by this chance! I'm 'the new one', intending to appear more frequently...

Now, back to topic - There we are once more: "if you install the toolbar..."

What, if nobody actually wants that toolbar (especially if it is that ask -BLEEP- again that does not really uninstall easily if one decides to not have it any more) ?

The 'computer layman' - or let's call him the normal standard office user - will just do a 'standard' or 'quick' or 'easy' or 'you name it' installation rather than a customized one for any software he's installing. So delivery of any -BLEEP- toolbars is free and automatic... Now the poor fellow finds his browser screen reduced to half height since there are twentyfive toolbars sitting on top and has to call expensive Andy in to sort him out and remove those things... Of course it's good for Andy - it means business after all - but it's bad for the user. Costs him nerves, money and time... Plus Andy did actually recommend to use Avira, didn't he? So if everything goes really bad, even Andy's name is now messed up...
    Your thoughts, please?

Cheers!

Last edited: Sep 30, 2012
  9. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

Unfortunately i'll never understand why security vendors insist on bundling some **** toolbars with the their security software. It's like bundling a crowbar with the house alarm, sort of defeats its purpose...

10. andy_in_kenya

andy_in_kenya Registered Member

Just another thing coming to my mind about the 2013 free version:
    Did anybody here ever try a manual update from a .vdf-file on a Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit machine? Ain't working, at least for me. Gives some 'download' error...
    Any ideas?

11. Fly

Fly Registered Member

Because of an unrelated issue I restored a previous image, a promo of the 2012 version of the security suite.

I don't have ANY of those files on my computer !

So I don't really know what's going on.
    I could check again when the final update to the 2013 version is pushed.

12. Sealord

Sealord Registered Member

They are not in the list of running processes. So that is a good thing...

I have seen apnstub.exe [Ask.com] try to connect when going to add or remove components, using the change & modify feature in Control Panel. But not since my last update and the screen now skips the toolbar boxes and apnstub is not logged as outgoing. Progress, glitch or fluke? Thing is, now no option to add the thing once installed...! LOL

I did not have them with AV Premium 2012.

13. guest

guest Guest

Today I installed 2 times the new internet security suite of Avira 2013 on 2 systems of a relative. I couldn't believe what I saw: NOW they really do try to sneak in those evil toolbar even to PAYING customers! - Are they out of their mind!?

Yes, you can uncheck the crap. Yes, you can kill the crap for example with ProcessLasso (see other thread). But it is a disgrace that they think that would be okay! I am shocked. - Doing that with the "free" version is one thing, but annoying paying customers with that just because they seem to have severe money problems (what else could be the reason?) is another thing.

I won't install Avira under those circumstances on my own system and yes, I was a paying customer once, even have license for suite. But I don't trust you anymore. You crossed the red line. The manager who decided to include bundled junk should be fired immediately!

I DON'T WANT BUNDLED TOOLBARS!!! - They *never* are useful, besides to your finances. Maybe at first. But if customers leave you because of that, guess what!? :thumbd:

14. Fly

Fly Registered Member

Have you tried posting on their forum ? I can't really do that since I just have a promo version, not a paid version.

Avira is not evil, most of their employees are dedicated to the product but it seems the people running the company are ??

They had their issues (like Uniblue, Ask), then they seemed to have fixed them. I believed there had been some changes in their upper management, but what's this ? :doubt:

Maybe they should offer fewer promos and stop giving huge discounts (50%) if they can't afford it !

15. guest

guest Guest

Well, they try very hard to make us believe it would be an oh sooo useful toolbar. :rolleyes:

http://forum.avira.com/wbb/index.php?page=Thread&threadID=148785

But as I said: I don't want that junk, no matter what "features" they put in as they do that only to obscure that they make money with things frankly an antivirus should protect you from.

All toolbars are evil to me, no matter what. I don't need all this new stuff, that are not useful features to me, it just gets bloated more and more.

Instead of this they should have made much more out of the new (cloud) quick scan option! I would care about changes and improvement in protection and performance. But all those useless (to me they are!) gadgets and stuff including toolbar .. no, sorry. - I will not install this anymore, thank you.

And if you know Avira forum, then you know why I won't post there. As a new member (I was banned before when criticizing Avira) it would be a hassle to try it. And why should I? - Since today I don't care about Avira anymore. Red line and all. Enough is enough. (There were also severe bugs in v2012 that hindered me and others from scanning all the time, no thank you.)

The maybe funniest thing is: they changed their marketing (well not really!? LOL) that way that they won't say version 2013, 2014 anymore. (Yes, on their website they do anyway, those idiots!) - I bet the reason is they cannot come up with useless things implemented every *year* to put them in the changelog as NEW NEW NEW! - They are out of ideas finally!? :rolleyes:

But shockingly I also read in their forum that a few people do want that toolbar, even in paid version, and wonder and are angry why it is (WAS!) only on free version. o_O

Strange world. :argh: - Not mine anymore. Byebye Avira. :-*

p.s.: To be fair ... the scan I tried on the other system was pretty fast (so not only the new quick scan!). On the other hand surfing felt more sluggish than with v2012 even if others said the opposite. But I don't care anymore. Don't need 2 AV's anyway, WRSA is enough to me as I never become infected. ;)

16. gery

gery Registered Member

completely my thoughts about the new release

17. Fly

Fly Registered Member

Perhaps this is not surprising.

They have an American, Travis Witteveen as head of marketing.

America's corporate culture is well known for its short-term, quarterly driven profit maximization. Perhaps they should have hired a German instead ?

Stereotypes aside, this is not meaningless.

Traditionally, German companies have a long term vision and are dedicated to providing quality products.

What got into them ?

What's next, selling your data ? According to EU rules that is not permitted, but according to their TOS or whatever they can send customer data worldwide, which makes it all 'fair game'.

18. KoRnGtL15

KoRnGtL15 Registered Member

Anyone with 2013 premium and windows 7 64 bit? Are you able to use the new cloud feature? ProActiv only works with 32 bit I understand. But, I asked on Avira forums with no answer yet. Are both connected for the cloud feature to work? Or does the cloud feature work by itself with windows 7 64 bit?

19. zfactor

working here so far

20. Joxx

Joxx Registered Member

I noticed the forum is not very active/hepful and that puts me off.

21. zfactor

many av forums are not very helpful imo

22. Joxx

Joxx Registered Member

Yes, but many are an example of where to look for help, fast and good.
    Two of them come to mind:
    Comodo
    Avast

It doesn't mean, necessarily, that the product is of quality... but it does make a positive difference.

23. Macstorm

Macstorm Registered Member

This is the key.

You are certainly forgetting the tons of new tech-inexperienced users who will benefit of the toolbar security features (browser tracking blocker and website safety advisor). It's not like any other add-on out there that merely track your surfing habits, it offers a real security value on its own.

I don't like toolbars either, not even from Avira. And that's why I didn't install it. It's my choice however, I'm not the only one using this program and I prefer "sacrifice" myself for the benefit of others :D

24. KoRnGtL15

KoRnGtL15 Registered Member

Was you replying to my post? Or just in general? Still no answer yet from anyone.

25. zfactor

yes cloud working fine pro active only x86 as far as i can tell. i have had cloud detections already

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.