Avira 2012 BETA

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by MrGSM, Sep 8, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Smiggy

Smiggy Registered Member

Think there's plenty around already mate!

2. King Grub

King Grub Registered Member

Two "hung on install" and one "running smooth"?

3. Osaban

Osaban Registered Member

If you can recover easily with an image it is worth trying, otherwise you may not see your desktop again. I just want to make clear that I still trust Avira under these circumstances, perhaps they should wait a little bit longer before releasing a beta.

4. eBBox

eBBox Registered Member

Smoot upgrade on two machines here :thumb:

5. Dundertaker

Dundertaker Registered Member

Uninstalled APSS ver10 and performed a clean installation for Avira IS 2012. I did not have any freezes but it was too long and seemed to go on forever. It also pointed out that Outpost Firewall Pro should be uninstalled manually. Well I did not do that(like KAV 2010 telling me to uninstall all security apps...tsk). I cut short the install after 20 minutes of "Starting Components...", rebooted and performed a change install.

Installation was not okay. The GUI is eyecandy. Still observing Proactive here. After 7hours of use seems the same. Scan time which they say will improve "is" the same (with a reduction of a measly 5 seconds from last scan with ver10 --4 drives WD320gb, 2 Seagate 160gb, 1 WD500gb took 180minutes). Scan time with he same drives with Avast IS took just 120minutes. But I still lean on it's detection having had a non-detection with Avast IS from a portable app. Failed me big time.

Still observing.

6. Osaban

Osaban Registered Member

I don't think I waited 20 minutes, but at least 5 which shouldn't happen anyway. Like you I rebooted the first time and couldn't see the desktop, after another 5 minutes I had a hard reboot which brought me at least to the password window just before seeing the desktop, but again just a dark window afterwards. I uninstalled it in safe mode and rebooted normally. At this stage however just to be on the safe side I restored a known good image.

It doesn't bother me that much as I know how to troubleshoot most situations, but if it happens to people who are inexperienced, their computer could be useless for a while without professional help. Furthermore MBAM was not active, I have no other security program that could have affected its installation, and I even went to trouble of removing registry leftovers from my previous Avira installation.

7. The Hammer

The Hammer Registered Member

I'll wait as well as I see some people have run into a few issues.

8. The Hammer

I see in the update tab for version 10 I have 3 options Start Update, Manual Update and Start Product Update. Does the third option Start Product Update allow an update to version 12?

9. Osaban

Osaban Registered Member

It should, but most of the time you get a normal update (I went directly to the website). When Avira decides to upgrade automatically it is normally done through the normal updates, remember how many people wanted to remain with version 9, and the system would automatically upgrade to 10.

10. The Hammer

Sorry I don't remember that I was using Eset then.;) But maybe I'll wait for that. Right now I'm undecided. I just found out that the Product update will be available from October 13.

Last edited: Oct 4, 2011
  11. Securon

Securon Registered Member

Good Morning ! Went to Avira's website downloaded a fresh copy of Internet Security 2012. As most people know a very basic reconfiguration of the GUI. I ran a full system scan that clocked in at 48 minutes very acceptable...nothing was detected. Installation was a breeze no problems encountered...as was uninstalling. I'm currently using Norton Internet Security and Prexv 3.0 with Safe On Line...no problems with compatability...and they both run light and nimble. Avira is an excellent choice but in my opinion lacking certain options and features that should be available at it's price point. Sincerely...Securon

12. King Grub

I went ahead and installed it. No problems at all; installed very fast and smooth. Running fine. It does not seem compatible with running a browser in Sandboxie, though. Avira 10 worked fine with it, but running Firefox in Sandboxie using Avira 12 makes Webguard not scan a thing.

13. 0strodamus

0strodamus Registered Member

Installed the final over the beta and no issues at all.

14. mike21

mike21 Registered Member

ok I have a problem with the firewall: at every reboot it "forgets" the rules for:

- popup settings - I have set it to always show details and I disabled the remember action for application and at reboot it loads default values.

- application rules - although I have set some apps to "always allow" and these apps actually shown in the settings as allowed it still popup a window and asks to allow or deny

15. hamlet

hamlet Registered Member

I have been trying out Avira's new 2012 premium antivirus for the last day and mine does not seem to be updating according to the time noted in the settings. I set it to check for updates every hour but it only seems to update after I reboot. There are no entries for hourly update events in any of the logs. All other settings are on default.

In my version 10 Avira Premium AV, the software will check for updates every hour and note that in the log. There is a log entry whether or not any new updates were found. Perhaps the log behavior is different in 2012 and it only makes an entry if actual updates are found. I don't know. I suspect, however, that there is something wrong with my installation or that I have unknowingly messed up a setting.

Is anyone else noticing this update behavior?

I am now going to load 2012 back on my box and let it run today to see if it is doing automatic updating.

PS. I don't see any mention of this issue on the Avira forums, so I am thinking it is just me having such trouble.

16. King Grub

17. hamlet

hamlet Registered Member

Good question. When I realized last night that my Avira had not checked for updates since I installed it in the morning, I did go check on the Avira website and found that my definition files were one behind the current one. Their latest update had been out for several hours when I checked. So, I am pretty sure that my checks for updates were not initializing or running during the day.

I am going to be out running some errands for a few hours, but I am anxious to see if 2012 is going to initialize the update checks on an hourly basis.

By the way, I am running Windows 7 if that matters. And, my version 10 Avira premium definitely was running checks every hour.

Thanks.

18. hamlet

hamlet Registered Member

Ok, according to my Avira 2012 Premium events log, my software checked for updates at these times so far today:
    7:23am
    9:23am

It is now 12:16pm local time for me. I am now on AV defs 7.11.15.140 which is one behind what is listed on the Avira web site. They show 7.11.15.141 as the latest.

So, I am guessing that my AV will fetch that update at 12:23. It does seem to me that the log is only showing update actions when some new files are actually retrieved. Both the 7:23am and 9:23am updates retrieved files.

This seems to be a change in log behavior from version 10. I guess it doesn't matter how they do it as long as it is checking every hour and retrieving any new defs. It would be nice, however, to see all the events, even the ones that don't retrieve anything new.

19. The Hammer

I think the default for update checking is still 2 hours.

20. ReverseGear

ReverseGear Guest

Why is the beta thread still on when the final version is out ?

21. hamlet

hamlet Registered Member

Ehh, mine just is not updating at all now. It has not checked for an update since 9:23 this morning. I am going to reboot my computer and see if that causes Avira to update.

Maybe the thread is still called "Beta" because the program is acting buggy for some people. :eek:

22. The Hammer

Any advise you can offer over here? https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=309195

23. King Grub

Not really, unfortunately. It installed fine for me, so I don't know what would make it not install. I have Sandboxie too, and it didn't interfere in any way. Webguard didn't work in a Sandboxed browser, but that's all the problems I've had so far, and there was a fix for that too (posted on Sandboxie's forum) to tidy me over until it's compatible for real.

24. hamlet

hamlet Registered Member

Ok, I rebooted and now the updater in 2012 is working fine. It updated right after rebooting and has updated twice since then at one hour intervals. One of the updates found new files and one did not. All updates are reported in the log files.

I will watch this for a few days to see if anything changes. Small bugs like this that are fixed by a reboot certainly do not give one confidence in a program. It makes me wonder what else might not be working.

On the other hand, I did not have any trouble installing the program. I did disable Windows Defender and uninstalled Spyware Blaster before installing Avira.

25. King Grub

So you didn't reboot at all since installing it until now? That might have been it; it updates several engine modules the first update during installation, and they might not work properly, load correctly, until a reboot.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.