Avira 12

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by trjam, May 11, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The Hammer

The Hammer Registered Member

Is your sig up to date Jerry?

2. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

I still have Avira on my laptop, but replaced Avira on the desktop. I am debating with myself about replacing it tomorrow. For some strange reason the scan on the laptop takes less than an hour.o_O
    Jerry

3. The Hammer

Then perhaps the problem on the desktop is not MBAM and Winpatrol.

4. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

Maybe, but I am not inclined to do much trouble shooting, and do not really have the tech knowledge. Since Avast Pro, Kaspersky, and Norton have not show such a problem, I am satisfied to ditch Avira.
    My own reasoning is that there must be some incompatibility between Avira and this machine. Whatever it is I am not willing to work on it considering the good AVs that work well.

Thanks,
    Jerry

5. The Hammer

So when Avira is apparently working correctly on the laptop why contemplate a change there?

6. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

I have not made the change yet, but have the license on my desktop that is good for two more.
    It is a toss-up as to which is preferable for me. It is just whatever whim of the moment. I do find that Norton updates when I start up or shortly thereafter, and Avira takes a couple of hours.

So why not change? It gives me something to fool with that does not take much computer knowledge.:D

I know I am not going back to Avira on this machine, and with the license for up to three PCs it is less expensive, and just as secure to use Norton on both.
    Unless, of course you get Avira IS free.

In spite of all the Norton haters, I like the it, and have never found anything that bothers me about it. AVC has always indicated it is a good one in their tests.

There are several excellent AVs, and so it is not necessary to use one that gives problems or is annoying.

Regards,
    Jerry

7. Fly

Fly Registered Member

Instead of opening a new thread, I'll ask it right here:

Is there any news about what's going on with Avira ?

I've read about 'business' deals (Uniblue, Ask), reports of problems within the company, improvements of the Avira product being delayed ...

8. TheMozart

TheMozart Former Poster

I have Avira Version 10.2.0.696. So this is the OLD version I am using? If so, where do I get the latest version?

And how do I STOP AVIRA ASKING ME TO INSTALL THE AVIRA TOOLBAR?:thumbd:

9. The Hammer

Visit Avira forum the answer is there.

10. The Hammer

Plenty of posts and threads already here. Further comments may result in thread closure so let me just say that search is your friend. Actually see the links in Cudni's post here for starters. https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?p=1907321#post1907321

Last edited: Jul 20, 2011
  11. TheMozart

TheMozart Former Poster

Why do you always troll on this forum? Why do you even post here? If you don't know the answer just say so, and stop trolling!:thumbd:

12. The Hammer

First of all your statement is inaccurate. If I always trolled, I probably wouldn't be allowed to post here.;) :p But, I will be polite where you have seen fit not to be. There has already been a warning by a mod that the creation of threads on the subject must stop and that this discussion of the toolbar should continue on Avira's forum. I am a member of Avira's forum, would you like me to find out the answer for you? I am not affected as I use the premium version. Besides if you use the product it would be sensible to go to the source for a readily available answer would it not?

Last edited: Jul 20, 2011
  13. Fly

Fly Registered Member

Actually, I have done research. But my research didn't lead to definitive answers. :blink:

I think we are allowed to post relevant information, as long as the thread isn't derailed and things don't get out of hand.

14. The Hammer

My netbook updates Avira almost right away. You might want to check your update settings or not it's up to you. Anyway Norton is very good , you can't go wrong there.

15. The Hammer

Aren't we there now? Shouldn't they be taking the wraps off this thing?

16. phr3n1c

phr3n1c Registered Member

If you're interested in the new AV12, you may register on http://betacenter.avira.com/en/register as the beta test for AV12 is going to start soon.

Please use no fakenames on registration as every request is going to be approved. To speed up approval process, you could point to this thread in the "tell us about yourself" field.

Hope to see you there.

17. Duradel

Duradel Registered Member

Applied for it. Thanks for the heads up.

18. The Hammer

I'm not interested in being a beta tester. I just wanted to know what new features or improvements are going to be incorporated.

19. trjam

trjam Registered Member

well, folks arent really going be talking about them while being created, like we have in the past.:)

20. luciddream

luciddream Registered Member

I hope they take their time with this thing, and don't change too much. I'm perfectly content with v.10 SP2 right now. It's stable, very light and effective.

By all means, try to evolve the product, but the thing I love most about Avira over the years is that it hasn't tried to re-invent the wheel, or fix what isn't broken. I like it very much the way it is. Cloud scanning would make a lot of people happy, as well as adding 64-bit support for Proactive. Not sure I'd care for much to change beyond that other than the obligatory heuristics/engine improvements.

Take your time with 12. No hurry.

21. mike21

mike21 Registered Member

I am completely inline with lucid. Avira is fast, stable and very effective. I hope they won't mess it up like kaspersky.

22. markusg

markusg Registered Member

ok, its fast, but it is useless, when we talk about botkits.
    avira can not detect and remove most active botkids, also tdl3 and 4, so a lot to do.

23. luciddream

luciddream Registered Member

Fine with me, throw a fix for that into the mix as well. Anything that falls within the boundaries of what a pure AV is designed to do, I'm all for. I just don't want to see it turn into a bloated product with many features that are better suited for a suite. That's my concern. And I hope they don't screw with the wonderful, simple, intuitive existing interface. Just a simple check box in the Configuration > Guard for "Cloud scanning" would suffice... and slap a "12" on the box (shameless Tron plug).

People that use stand-alone AV's, logically, are probably doing so because they have other apps that take care of these other areas (i.e. Sandboxie, HIPS, ect...). So generally when you throw a bunch of features into an AV it ends up being unnecessary bloat and overlap to it's users.

24. trjam

trjam Registered Member

dont worry, 12 will be cool. Avira has just sat back and watched the last 2 years as to what works, and most of all, what doesnt work for other vendors. Version 12 will be the best of both worlds, not bloated and full of some new surprises.

25. The Hammer

From what I've read on the forum here some of the most surprised will be Avira employees.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.