Avira 12

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by trjam, May 11, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dawgg

dawgg Registered Member

The version number can be whatever they want it to be. IMO version xx in the year 20xx makes total sense and reduces confusion.

What if someone says they had developed version 11 internally, but decided not to release it and release version 12 instead this year. Is that better for you?

2. SweX

SweX Registered Member

But if they use this model Avira would need to release new versions every year even if there are no big changes. Or would you buy the 2010 release, in 2012?

They should release version 11 this year or next year when ever it's done. :thumb: Why skip it? Does the number 11 mean bad luck in Germany or something :doubt:

Last edited: May 13, 2011
  3. dawgg

dawgg Registered Member

Perhaps being encouraged to release a new version every year is a good idea as its a constant encouragement to release improvements and new features.

Because they want to - and its less complicated.

4. The Hammer

The Hammer Registered Member

No need to wait then as FP rate is already low .

5. The Hammer

Renewed my licence for V10 today.

6. trjam

trjam Registered Member

Yep, me to.;)

7. Trooper

Trooper Registered Member

Back on Avira today huh? *puppy*

8. bellgamin

bellgamin Registered Member

My license lasts until June 2012. I would extend it if they had a 50%-discount sale. PLEASE let me know if such a sale comes along.

9. andyman35

andyman35 Registered Member

The other way to look at it is if there aren't sufficient improvements and new features available within the timescale,it's an encouragement to add unnecessary features and bloat.

10. SweX

SweX Registered Member

Wich was the way I looked at it :thumb: Thanks. ;)

11. zfactor

zfactor Registered Member

i would jump on a few lic's if this came to pass also.. prob enough to cover 6-9 pc's or maybe more. but i doubt avira would ever do this at least i dont ever remember seeing it down to 50% off

12. luciddream

luciddream Registered Member

I just gave Avira props in another post for not changing much over the years. This is actually unwelcome news to me. I hope the cloud is an option you can choose to do without, as I don't care for it. And I hope the GUI doesn't change. It's simple and effective. I hate it when I get comfortable with how to configure a product then it changes on me.

Just keep working on improving the heuristics engine and keep the definitions up to date. That's all I ask of an AV. Bells, whistles and features are for outbound firewalls/HIPS/ect... I just want my AV to be an AV, and nothing more. I love that about Avira. It's so light and I don't want that to change. In fact I think that's their M.O. in the eyes of many these days.

13. firzen771

firzen771 Registered Member

i hope they improve their firewall in the next version

14. Osaban

Osaban Registered Member

If Avira12 is a sort of wish list for a future version this is my take:

For my fast notebook, Avira has always given me a lot of satisfaction in terms of detections (meaning stopping anything from executing or downloading). There are however areas whereby things could improve.

1) It is heavy on my old notebooks (Vipre has hardly any impact)
    2) On my fast notebook WebGuard slows significantly my browsing speed (I often disable it, as I have Sandboxie).
    3) Disabling and enabling Avira's modules from "Programs and features/Uninstall or change a program" doesn't work properly. If I try to enable WebGuard with this method it blocks the whole program, the umbrella doesn't open, I have to reinstall the whole program with all modules active. Although I've just realized , one can do these operations directly opening the GUI through configuration (don't know if it has always been like that).
    4) It would be nice to have a ProActiv module for 64bit, but one that actually does something, again without slowing down the machine.
    5) Avira has never been disappointing, but lately it seems to be undergoing some changes without giving clear signs of improvement.
    6) I think that default settings should be maximized out of the box. A cloud addition would probably make sure to identify FPs and other suspicious files.

15. trjam

trjam Registered Member

thanks Osaban. 2012 will be Aviras turn at reaping the glory. Just not this year.:doubt:

16. The Hammer

I hope they don't ignore the firewall in their suite.

17. Kernelwars

Kernelwars Registered Member

are you using avira firewall by any chance? how is it..:)

18. DVD+R

DVD+R Registered Member

My Avira expires in June 2014 so I guess I'll be on version 15 before then lol..

19. luciddream

luciddream Registered Member

I'm interested to see what's new with this version. "What's new"... that was in fact the premise of a thread I started a few days ago in here. I wanted to see how these AV's have evolved in the past several months, as I've been absent from the net. But my message was somehow misconstrued as a "this vs. that", or "what should I use", when it clearly did not fall into those categories.

I just hope Avira stays nice and light, and doesn't get bloated by trying to add too many features. And I like that the GUI has remained the same for so long. Familiarity is a good thing.

20. The Hammer

No. But I understand that it there are more intelligent easier to understand firewalls in a couple of major competitors, without naming any competing products, according to reviews I've seen.

21. Noob

Noob Registered Member

Let's see what surprises they bring because the last one that the did (ProActiv) isn't even working on x64 o_O :thumbd:
    And IMO seems under developed

22. m0unds

m0unds Guest

it's configurable, but not terribly smart. it asks the user to allow/deny, which isn't necessarily a bad thing, but i can see it causing an average user to pay less attention to the prompts after a while. after being prompted for all your applications, though, it's quiet and works just fine.

23. mantra

mantra Registered Member

what 's about the sp2 ?

what should it improve?

thanks

24. clayieee

clayieee Registered Member

25. The Hammer

Link what?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.