Avira 12 Prem. Realtime Is a Drag

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by WilliamP, Oct 12, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. WilliamP

WilliamP Registered Member

I updated to Prem. 12 and now the Realtime Protection is putting a drag on the system. I wonder how safe it would be to disable the realtime. That still leaves Web and Email on.

2. COMPYPY

COMPYPY Registered Member

its really useless to use av without real time . You might have some installation or upgrade problem try to reinstall as avira is not at all dragger ( i myself use it on system and it is running smoothly)

3. Osaban

Osaban Registered Member

What other security have you got? You can try uninstalling properly everything you have as security, install Avira first and then the rest. It is a bit time consuming but IMO worth trying.

4. Noob

Noob Registered Member

Same experience as my bro he gave it 2 opportunities and both were bad experiences. ;)

5. The Hammer

The Hammer Registered Member

Well given what you've said about your bro in the past when it came to security I'm not sure that should carry a lot of weight.;)

6. Noob

Noob Registered Member

HAHAHAHA well we have to take that into account also. :D
    He is just the average joe in the security department. Since he has a Netbook any PC slowdown can be noticed easily.
    From all the AV's he have tried because he did try a few, the lightest was Avast!, TrendMicro and Norton IS. Those were the ones that you can't even notice it in the background all others Avira, Kaspersky, Panda were kinda heavy, the most noticeable issue was with browsing in multiple tabs, page rendering, page load time etc. :D

7. cm1971

cm1971 Registered Member

I'm using the new version and can't tell any drag. In fact it actually seems a little bit faster.

8. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

I guess I often wonder what systems folks use who complain of drag on their system. I have never used an AV that I could tell slowed my systems. I buy a computer with extra capacity so that I am not bothered with slow downs.

Some AV techs for a particular AV nearly always tell you to ditch everything else. Avira is such. I had slow scans, and the recommendation was to ditch MBAM and other anti malware applications.
    If an AV won't run well with MBAM the AV goes.

Jerry

9. DOSawaits

DOSawaits Registered Member

v12 is doing as smooth as v10 here, system feels even a little lighter, on quite old hardware & win7.

10. WilliamP

WilliamP Registered Member

If I run Perfect Disk defragmenter I have to disable the real time protection,or it will just sit there.

11. Macstorm

Macstorm Registered Member

I'm pretty sure you'll get faster defrags by turning it off momentarily but I wouldn't recommend to do that.

Btw it's been a long time since I ditched those 3rd party defraggers until I found out they were doing more harm than good on my pc's.

Viva windows defragger :cool:

12. cm1971

cm1971 Registered Member

I use Auslogics Disk Defrag and have had no issues so far. Have you tried adding it to the excludes for the proactive module?

13. divedog

divedog Registered Member

Try changing the real time settings to scan only on write. No need to scan it twice IMHO. I haven't run any benchmarks yet but it does seem to slow my system down a bit more than the old version. I am a performance freak gamer on a I7930 @4ghz.

14. ReverseGear

ReverseGear Guest

Even i feel a littttle drag on the system and a huge drag on web performance...i think il switch back to my previous av

15. DVD+R

DVD+R Registered Member

When I upgraded it told me to uninstall outpost pro due to compatibility issues, I kept outpost but have not yet seen any compatibility issues:doubt: has anyone else found any? or are they both in co-existance with each other without problems o_O

16. Trooper

Trooper Registered Member

Ignore it. Scare tactics if you ask me. If you are not having problems you should be good to go. ;)

17. The Hammer

The Hammer Registered Member

No noticable drag here.

18. Syobon

Syobon Registered Member

I must say in comparision with F-Secure 2012 Avira is really disappointing regards slowdowns... really felt the drag.

19. Motherroad

Motherroad Registered Member

The other way for me. F-Secure slow for me and Avira much faster on windows 7x64.

20. Osaban

Osaban Registered Member

With Avira10 I always had to disable webguard because of slowdowns, but realtime was OK. Avira12 is surprisingly light to the point that there is no speed change to my Vista even with webguard.

There are however too many people complaining which means that Avira should do something about it (likewise about conflicts, too many unresolved issues and false alarms).

21. vojta

vojta Registered Member

I had F-Secure before Avira 2012 and Avira is a lot lighter for me, no problem with the webguard either. I guess it all depends on what you have installed in your computer, which addons you have in your browser, etc.

By the way, regarding F-Secure, I found that the component that affected more my computer's performance was its HIPS or behavior blocker, the Application Control.

22. trjam

trjam Registered Member

no drag to me. Actually Avira feels lighter on all machines then the other 2 antivirus products I use.;)

23. FastGame

FastGame Registered Member

C'mon, even lighter than Panda Cloud ? if so you need your butt dyno re-calibrated...hehe

Oh, Avira has no drag for me but not as light as Panda.

24. trjam

trjam Registered Member

I love Panda, but it isnt as light as you might think and it sure as heck is heavier then Avira. But my fab three are Avira, Panda and Eset in no certain order

25. trjam

trjam Registered Member

Nah, Avira is heavier then Panda and slows web browsing down.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.