AVI Movie File Problems

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by DVD+R, Oct 14, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DVD+R

DVD+R Registered Member

Well this has me totally Bamboozled :blink: I downloaded a Movie (aka Torrent File) and it finished downloading fine, but the moment I try and play it it comes up with unsupported file type or may not be an AVI file :blink:

Windows Media Player says: Windows Media Player cannot play the file. The Player might not support the file type or might not support the codec that was used to compress the file.

I've installed ffdshow and the Vista Codecs Pack but I cant get it to play or even to show up as a AVI Movie file. I've checked the file extension,and it reports it as .avi but still it wont play. There is a software available that will fix this, but I cant remember what it is :( Help! Please, or If you know of any other way of getting this file to play so I can convert it to DVD format.

2. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

I can't think of the full name now, and it's on a VM machine, but google for AVI players and look for something with zoom in the name. I'll bet it will work.

Pete

3. tradetime

tradetime Registered Member

Could try VLC player if it is supported by Vista, it plays most things.

4. Meriadoc

Meriadoc Registered Member

I use media player classic, combined community codec pack for 70s anime/fansubs but not sure about vista.

comparison

5. Arup

Arup Guest

Use KLite Mega Codec Pack, has all the stuff including Media Player Classic or will let you configure your existing WMP to play all including Real Media.

6. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

Try the Media Player Classic installer from the VCP homepage. If you still cant play teh avi, post in the VCP thread and Shark should be able to help.

7. c6rb6rd

c6rb6rd Registered Member

8. lucas1985

lucas1985 Retired Moderator

Zoom Player (?)

9. DVD+R

DVD+R Registered Member

tried everyone of these sugestions, and none work o_O apparently it says its not a true avi file o_O then what on earth is it o_O still for the life of me cant remember that program that converts these files to the correct format o_O

10. Seer

Seer Registered Member

It could be a fake divx file. I came accross a few in my P2P experience, fake divx movies, that is. Really annoying stuff.

As a last resort you could try DivFix, a software used to repair badly downloaded divx movies. If you succeed, please report back as I am very curious about this. Of course, I never managed to fix a fake movie... it's just a bunch of useless data...
    There are alternatives to DivFix, but I can't remember their names at the moment. Basically they do the same thing, if one of them can't fix the movie, the other one will fail too. That is my experience anyway.

Cheers.

11. tradetime

If the torrent site has a forum you could attempt to ask in there, what it is encoded with, many do and the uploader will usually furnish the necessary info.

12. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

Hello,
    Change the extension to .mpg.
    See if that helps.
    Mrk

13. SYS 64738

SYS 64738 Registered Member

14. DVD+R

DVD+R Registered Member

15. Mrkvonic

Hello,
    Did you try my suggestion? Sometimes, it's as simple as that.
    Cheers,
    Mrk

16. Seer

Seer Registered Member

A file (video in this case) does not need to have an extension to be recognized by a player/viewer/whatever app. It could as well be extensionless. An extension AFAIK is good for double-clicking only. I sincerely doubt that simple changing of the extension would be of much help :)

If this is the only video file that won't play on OP's puter, I still say that we have a fake divx here...

17. Mrkvonic

Hello,
    I have encountered this error a few times on XP.
    Changed the extension from avi to mpg and vice versa and it worked.
    It only takes 5 seconds, so why not ...
    Mrk

18. tradetime

At this stage I'd agree, worth a try but I wouldn't expect too much. For a laugh / curiosity I have changed file extensions on movie files to things like .dat, whilst you get a warning about the file may not be usable, and have to select the program to open it from a list it still plays ok.

19. clambermatic

clambermatic Registered Member

20. DVD+R

DVD+R Registered Member

I think Seer was right :) nothing would open that damn file so I downloaded the same movie in kvcd format and burned it with Nero, and it plays brilliantly on my pc and my DVD player :D thanks to all for the sugestions though :thumb:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.