AVGFree Problems

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by marg1929, Aug 24, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. marg1929

marg1929 Registered Member

Since the 7/22/05 update release of AvgFree, I am unable to keep the program working. After shutting down my computer overnight, I receive a popup saying the program is corrupted, to reinstall. I have reinstalled untill I am about to give up.

After following all the suggestions in the AVG Faqs, for reinstalling, the problem persists.

Another problem I am having is: I forgot my password to AVGForum, and asked for a password. None of the passwords they send me will work, so I cannot use the forum for my answers.

This last time I reinstalled it, I received a popup giving me Errors: 1450; 1052; and 170. I checked with Microsoft for info about the errors. I am at a complete loss as to what they are telling me to do. As you may surmise, I am not computer literate, I know just enough to cause myself problems, hence I do not "fix" anything until I have steps spelled out for me to follow.

I would like to keep AVGFree, as my livelyhood depends on a pension, which only stretches so far.

I would appreciate any help you may offer.

marg1929

2. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

after you removed AVG did you delete the avg folder in program files and run a registry cleaner before reinstalling?

3. marg1929

Yes, I followed the instructions from the AVGFree Forum FAQs. I also ran CCleaner after uninstall and deletions from Program Files, Downloads, and All Users, Application Data.

By the way, I am running WinXP2 Home, with all the latest updates as of this morning, except for Messenger.

I am running a 1.80 gigahertz Intel Pentium 4, 256mg Ram, 56k Modem, ZoneAlarm Free, Javacool's free programs, FreeDownload Manager, Win Patrol Free,
    BHODemon, Maxthon Browser, Avant Browser, and IE6(which I seldom use).

marg1929

4. TopperID

TopperID Registered Member

You should make sure you properly uninstall AVG and reboot before attempting to re-install it. See if you can get some tips from here:-
    http://support.hubris.net/configuration/xp/avg.html

Your Forum password problems are a different matter, you will have to email the Forum admin and explain the problem. Usually you would keep your passwords on a 'cookie' so you don't have to keep remembering it. If you are using a cache cleaner, ensure it can selectively delete all other cookies except the ones you wish to keep. I notice you are using CCleaner - that will delete cookies but click Options/Cookies to exclude your password cookies from deletion.

If you cannot get AVG working you can always try an alternative solution. AntiVir is free and has a better detection rate than AVG, it is also 'lighter' to run:-

http://www.majorgeeks.com/AntiVir_Personal_Edition_d955.html

5. marg1929

Thanks for all your suggestions. I have done all the things you suggest, which were outlined in the AVG Faqs.

I will also try the AntiVir you have suggested.

I appreciate your help.

marg1929

6. TopperID

If you have difficulty with AntiVir get back to us because there is just a possibility that AVG may have been nobbled by an infection. In which case it would be prudent to do an online scan.

7. marg1929

I have downloaded AntiVir from MajorGeeks, but have not yet installed it. Should I do an online scan before I install it?

Thanks for your help.

marg1929

8. TopperID

Before you install AntiVir make sure that AVG is unintalled.

Run CCleaner

Make sure your FW (and any other security program you may have) is temporarily disabled.

Run the AntiVir Installer.

During the install process ensure you leave a tick in the 3 boxes for 'Guard', 'Updater' and 'shell-extension'; but you may uncheck the box for 'only new files' ('cos you want to install all the files as this is a new install).

After installation AntiVir will immediately proceed to start scanning. When it has completed its scan you can re-activate your FW and get online to update the AntiVir definitions.

You may need to place your FW in learning mode to begin with, until AntiVir has has made the necessary connections.

If there are any problems, or if AntiVir finds you are infected, you can do an online scan (I can recommend one), but you can leave that until after all of the above.

Edit - Please ensure you install on an account with full Administrator rights.

Last edited: Aug 24, 2005
  9. marg1929

I will do as you suggest. I am printing your instructions and will follow them, but I do not know how to put my firewall (ZoneAlarmFree v5.5.094.0000) in learning mode, nor do I know how to actually disable it, unless you mean to exit it.

Is there an english install for AntiVir ? If so I have not found it.

I apologise for my lack of savvy, but...................

Thank you for all your consideration.

marg1929

10. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

11. TopperID

Marg,

If you try one of the USA download sites you should be OK.

Failing that try here:- http://castlecops.com/downloads-cat-7.html AntiVir is second on the list.

To disable Zone Alarm while you install just right click the tray icon and click 'Shutdown Zone Alarm'.

To re-enable ZA afterwards, you click Start/All Programs/Zone Labs/Zone Labs Security (or just click the desktop icon, if you have one).

To put ZA into learning mode you bring up the ZA User Interface and click the 'Program Comtrol' tab on the left; then select 'Low' on the 'Program Control' slider. Don't forget to place the slider back up again to its original position after you have run AntiVir and it is working OK.

12. marg1929

Sorry, I did not make myself clear. I intended to ask for installation instructions in English.

Since then, I have investigated further and found that Major Geeks and Consumer Reports.Org both advise to use Avast! It is free to home computers and highly rated.

Thanks to all of you who so willingly helped me!!!!!!!!!!

marg1929

13. marg1929

I did not read your reply untill now, either I overlooked it or I didn't check after I sent the reply to Ron.

I am appreciative of the help I have received. Thanks to everyone who replied.

marg1929

14. TopperID

That's OK Marg. :D

Avast is also an excellent choice. :-*

15. marg1929

God's Blessings TopperID. Your input is most appreciated.

Marg1929

16. pcalvert

pcalvert Registered Member

Hi marg1929,

You are not alone. AVG Free messed up my computer big time. Windows wouldn't even boot except in Safe Mode. Thinking that malware might be responsible, I restored Windows from a disk image that was made in early July. That got me going again, but it wasn't long before AVG started acting up again. So I uninstalled it and installed AntiVir Free. I don't like AntiVir's large update file, but otherwise it seems fine. Since I am on dialup, I only update AntiVir once a week, on Saturday.

Phil

17. wildman

wildman Registered Member

:) Yup it's me the Wildman who for years has been complaining about the AntiVir/Classic updater. Well I am now trying the BETA version of this program, and do manual updates each time there is a new one (I check each day) thus far it appears to be doing rather well. Making contact with the server is still a bit slow, but once contact has been made the download goes rather quickly, this is much better than the old version. I also use dial-up by the way. I also was a user of AVG "free". AVAST & BitDefender are also options.

Thanks
    Wildman
    ;) :D

18. marg1929

As I noted, I have installed Avast! and I like it very well. I became frustrated with AntiVir because their emails were in German. which I don't speak or read, much less write.
    I would recommend Avast! to anyone who will listen.
    Thanks for your comment!

19. wildman

wildman Registered Member

o_O AVAST in the past was known to be some what of a memory hog, it also placed files in directories over which the computer operator had no control and those file were difficult to delete if one wished to do so. Have these issues been resolved?

Thanks
    Wildman
    o_O :ninja:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.