AVG7 Free BETA

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by lrtrees, Oct 23, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lrtrees

lrtrees Registered Member

First time post and I am hoping some of you might be able to help. I have downloaded and and am trying AVG7 free beta and it seems pretty good to me, but I am pretty much a novice and may not know any better. Have any of you tried this and if so, what do you think of it? I have had it running along with the new version of Kerio and so far so good.

Thanks for your suggestions,
    Lon

2. jxkruzzn

jxkruzzn Guest

BAD idea to run two anti-virus programs together, can de-stablize your computer, do you know that? There are many more knowledgeable persons here than me, but I do know that, unfortunately the hard way.

Please do un-install one of them, pick the one that you understand the best, save the other for later, before you end up re-formatting your disc drive.

3. ?lrtrees

?lrtrees Guest

I guess I should have been more clear. Kerio is a software firewall. Am I missing something here?

4. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

For a free antivirus program avg is a pretty good one, I tried the beta just to see what it was like and it was quite an improvement over avg 6. If you decide to run a free one it is a pretty fair one. and it ought to work just fine with kerio.

bigc

5. wangk0998

wangk0998 Registered Member

If not I'll leave home for a long time,using my computer inconveniently,must try it :)

6. rdsu

rdsu Registered Member

I don't received any e-mail with the serial to test this version... :(

7. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

If you have another email address to use, you could try that.
    I would think that is an automated process.
    Maybe they are having a glitch. :)

8. rdsu

rdsu Registered Member

I will try your tip ;)

Thanks

9. rdsu

rdsu Registered Member

It works! Thanks :p

10. rdsu

rdsu Registered Member

They have made a good update on the Free version.

Now it supports more email clients, the configuration was improved, the updates are much small that the previous version, better GUI.

They say that this new version have an improved scanning engine, but if the Pro version only have a poor detection rate, the free version...

The best thing in AVG is the resources, but why have an AV with low resources when the detection rate of virus is poor!?

Not so bad for a free AV, but I still prefer avast! Home Edition...

11. TAP

TAP Registered Member

Hi,

I don't think so. Honestly, when AVG products have continuously certified by ICSA Labs and passed the latest VB100% on Windows XP I think (at least) AVG is good as other AVs for detecting ITW viruses/worms that very important in the real-world operation.

In my opinion, no matter how many Zoo malware that AVG detects if AVG can deal with ITW viruses/worms or other malware that are circulating in the real world so it's a fine AV, in VirusP test results (10-25 August 2004) you'll see that eTrust/VET's detection rates are worse than AVG but why people still trust in eTrust/VET? isn't it good at ITW viruses/worms and have no false positive/no glitch operation in Virus Bulletin test? or because of eTrust/VET have high overall detection rates? :)

I've used AVG Free and Avast Home and I like both over some paid AVs. :D But I must say Avast Home is very robust and has more powerful features more than other free AVs (or some features are robust than some paid AVs) in anyway.

Last edited: Oct 24, 2004
  12. rdsu

rdsu Registered Member

I can conclude what I've said from all the reviews and tests made on internet...

What I'm saying is that exists a lot of better options instead of AVG, but for a free version isn't so bad at all... ;)

13. bellgamin

bellgamin Registered Member

I hope this isn't too much OT but -- since VB tests were cited relative to AVG (the subject of this thread) -- I would like to ask the following question...
    Does the test bed used by VirusBulletin include any nasty stuff which is runtime-packed? In other words, is unpacking ability (or inability) a factor in VB's ratings?

14. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

I don't like AVG7 beta. Ok its a nice improvement over old AVG6,but its interface is really messed up,update system is strange and i have never heard any good about its detection except for dialers.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.