AVG vs Avast!

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by FastGame, Apr 27, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pvsurfer

pvsurfer Registered Member

Can either one do this?

I would like to know if either one can catch and quarantine an infected file which is embedded in a rar or zip file at the time it arrives as an email attachment or download?

I've been using Symantec's AntiVirus Corporate client in our small business for over a year and as far as I'm concerned, that is its major weakness. It does find and identify such an infected file during an 'after-the-fact' scan, but not in real-time!

Thanks, pv

2. no13

no13 Retired Major Resident Nutcase

Re: Can either one do this?

avast web shield does that I think. Like IMON from NOD

3. Randy_Bell

Randy_Bell Registered Member

NAV 2004 and 2005 of the Home Edition can do this {scan compressed files in realtime} but only on an NT-based O.S. like Windows 2000 or XP, because it uses an NT-based driver. I bet the very latest version of Symantec Corporate Edition has this feature.

4. pvsurfer

Well I have the latest version of SAVC (v10) and it doesn't behave that way. In my work, I have to receive rar/zip email attachments and SAVC has not caught deeply-embedded viruses/trojans when the email arrived. It only found them on a subsequent (on-demand) scan!

5. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

I'm not forcing you to use avast! at all :)
    Here is the latest skinless interface from avast! 4.6
    http://img23.echo.cx/img23/4592/ashsimpl21tq.png

Nothing fancy,but still very effective and simple.

6. Randy_Bell

Randy_Bell Registered Member

Does Symantec Corporate have POP3 scanning? I was speaking of realtime scanning of compressed files by the RTM {the Auto-Protect} which is a feature of NAV 2004 and higher. Even earlier versions of NAV (going back to 2001) have had a POP3 scanner which will scan anything on incoming email that the manual scanner can scan, including archives. I guess I'm too unfamiliar with the Corporate Edition, but it seems like it should have at least the POP3 scanning available. ;)

7. Re: Can either one do this?

pvsurfer: You are absolutely correct. I had the very same problem and their tech support was in denial everytime I reported it to them! After reading this thread, I'm going to install Avast! and check it out.

8. pvsurfer

Randy~ Sure it has POP3 Email Autoprotect, the problem is that it never worked in the situation I described (and I very much doubt that it actually did in their NAV versions)!

It's sort of ironic, but just moments ago I came across this article which validates what I (and 'SymantecSucks') said...

http://www.eweek.com/article2/0,1759,1790895,00.asp?kc=EWRSS03119TX1K0000594

~pv

Last edited: Apr 29, 2005
  9. starlight

starlight Registered Member

That skinless interface on Avast looks dreadful and so unprofessional.

10. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

Can you enlighten me and tell me whats wrong with it? Maybe i can suggest something to Alwil... Thanks

11. Hyperion

Hyperion Registered Member

Actually AVG can scan on-close too,but you have to tick the box yourself in the resident shield properties.In the same way you can make it scan all files,but this isn't by default.

Today i uninstalled Avast from on-demand and put AVG resident.I ve seen all tests that show that Avast is better in detection,but there is something annoying me that despite all best intentions,make me uninstall Avast after a week of use every time i try it...I don't know,there is something in the interface i don't like and a sense of bloat and clutter in the advanced preferences.I even hate the time during installation that there is that huge list of components that not even KAV has.I don't even want to think what resource hog would be installing all that.It's more an impression than an experimental observation.No need to post screenshots to prove that it isn't a resource hog.I 'd really want to use it,but its interface and layout is repelling me every try i force myself to put it back.I think AVG is lighter,more pleasant in the layout and enough for my habbits, even if detection-wise inferior to Avast.

12. starlight

You have been so kind and patient and I really appreciate that, but I just don't like that software. I have had Norton AntiVirus and upgraded to Norton Internet Security 2005 in November. In February of this year, I uninstalled Norton and installed AVG. I did not like the firewall in Norton and the updates were awful. It was also so bloated and slowed my system, even though my computer is less than three years old. AVG's interface I liked. I also liked Norton's interface. Very simple. Both these are set up to do a "Complete"Scan. I know that you can do this with Avast, but Avast either scanned well over 150 files if I set it to scan within archives and only 20 or 30 without scanning in archives. Both Norton and AVG when set for a "Complete " scan, scanned about 85 files. With Norton and AVG when I get ready to scan, all I have to do is click Scan now. I don't know why Avast scanned so many files when set to scan archives. This was not necessary to scan all that many in archives. Norton and AVG was also set to scan within archives, but never that many files. Like I stated , they scanned around 85 files. So it seems Avast is scanning files that virus's don't usually get into. I trust Norton and Norton did not do this many files and neither does AVG

I also don't like the blue round globe sitting in my tray bar spinning around most all the time. This annoys me greatly. AVG and Norton sits in my tray bar and don't bother me.

Avast does not have a schedule to set up a scan at a particular time and I need one. I also don't like having to register and be given a registration code that last for only a temporary period. This is not necessary as I can tell.

When Avast stops spinning around in my tray bar, can do a scheduled scan, drops the registration code , changes its whole look,( Make it look like Norton) and changes the way it's settings are set up, I might try it again. Until then, I will stay with AVG and should I go with a paid one, it will be Norton, without the firewall.

Also, Avast gave me a false positive which I have never had with Norton or AVG. I scanned with Trend Microsoft on line scan and they found nothing.

Last edited: Apr 29, 2005
  13. no13

I feel that's a good thing... to scan inside archives.. just so that no crapware is really hidden where I won't look. Avast was maybe scanning recursively[archive inside archive inside...]??
    You can set the taskbar to send the icon into always auto hide.
    Get a skin, or make one. Youi'll be doing a lot of people a favour by handing out a professional look.
    Try double checking over at Jotti. And if you report an FP to Avast, they'll be better for it. ;)
    Every little bit helps

14. starlight

I don't want the antivirus hidden. I want it in my tray bar so I know it is there. I just want it to be "still". I do not want it moving around.

15. no13

Then try a direct email to them asking for a differrent build... they may actually oblige!
    And get RejZor on board with your campaign... he's gotta be worth at least a nickel ;)

16. Arup

Arup Guest

The blue icon can be turned off, Avast detected infected system file which Anti Vir, AVG and others failed to detect and that is due to it's powerful boot time scan, my cousin here sells Norton and I can get a lifetime Norton license for free, tried it out, slowed my dual AMD 64 down, threw it out, Norton is bloat. Avast mail shield detects worms with regularity saving me the great hassle and from time to time so does the web shield, best of all, using IM, network, P2P, I am fully protected by Avast. I recently did a scan with Ewido, A2, Bit Defender, KAV, F-Prot and Anti Vir, this after running Avast for a year and a half, no virus or any malware detected in my system. Best of all, Avast updates are a gem.

17. TAP

TAP Registered Member

You can stop animated blue ball by using Avast External control that made by RejZoR and you can do many more tweaking to Avast with this tool. Avast is light, it runs smoothly and sweetly on my laptop (IBM ThinkPad, Centrino Pentium-M 1.3 GHz, 256 MB RAM) and I haven't noticed a significant slowdown in real-time performance caused by Avast 4.6 compared to NOD32 beta and AVG 7.

For me, the spinning ball, real-time HTTP scanning, Network Shield and boot-time scan of Avast are very charming and effective but of course, Avast definitely can't be pleased everyone.

Attached Files:

• aec.gif
      aec.gif
      File size:
      13.5 KB
      Views:
    Last edited: Apr 30, 2005
  18. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

New avast! External Control was released yesterday. Now it has one tweak more on this screen :) Tray icon when minimised On-Demnad scan is actually a good idea and i'll suggesst it to Alwil.

19. starlight

20. no13

can'topen eiter of yor sites

21. TAP

TAP Registered Member

Last edited: Apr 30, 2005
  22. starlight

You said that well Hyperion. You said what I could not. It has a lot to do with the clutter. I cannot stand to use the software. I am so uncomfortable with the looks of the interface and all that clutter. It really does not do better than AVG . I posted the link to Virus Bulletin and AVG scored higher than Avast, although these are probably the paid versions. AVG seems lighter, cleaner,and over all the interface is more pleasing. Check out this link to virus bulletin.

http://www.virusbtn.com/vb100/archives/products.xml?table

23. TAP

TAP Registered Member

Hey RejZoR, What is the Web Shield Power Mode?

Attached Files:

• ace2.gif
      ace2.gif
      File size:
      13.9 KB
      Views:
  24. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

Why people never read Readme files? Huh :p

25. TAP

TAP Registered Member

Ohh sorry, I already know it, I read ony changelog.rtf and found this.

+Added special Power Mode for Web Shield (more secure, less compatible)

Thnaks.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.