AVG V8.5 Paid is now downloadable

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by kdcdq, Mar 2, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. robinb

robinb Registered Member

For those who have AVG Internet Security 8.0
    this is how to upgrade it and get the identity protection (it is ONLY in the Internet Security Program)

You can add AVG Identity Protection to your currently installed AVG
    Internet Security by using the AVG 8.5 installation package:
    - Download the latest AVG Internet Security 8.5 installation file

http://www.avg.com/download?prd=ais

- Click on "Download AVG now (paid version)". The installation file
    corresponding to your AVG product will be shown, save this file to
    your Desktop.
    - Double-click the file on your desktop and follow the steps indicated
    in the setup program to begin installing your AVG 8.5.
    - When prompted, select option Add or remove components.
    - On the Component Selection screen tick all the components you wish
    to install, including AVG Identity Protection.
    - Restart your computer.

robin

2. mantra

mantra Registered Member

i'm interested to buy it

is this version fast i mean the real time engine? now i'm using nod32

3. Kas

Kas Registered Member

Well, OK for those who love doling out unnecessary cash. There are countless millions of satisfied users who use AVG FREE edition with outstanding success. This also goes for ALL the creditable freebie software available.

Unless one has a specific need for the ultimate or is paranoid about security, bugs and thugs etc., shelving out cash on some dubious obscure benefit is neither an economic or technically advisable thing to do.

Having proudly stated that AVG 8.5 PAID has been released, two questions ;-

1) Where is the AVG 8.5 FREE version for millions of users who have NO wish to PAY ? I know 8.5 FREE is there for the taking IF you can find it without being tricked. Rather like knowing a $100 bill is laying out there somewhere, but where ?

2) EXACTLY WHAT advantages does 8.5 have over 8.0 which works perfectly well ? Not much at all from my web checks.

For starters, AVG always advise us when an updated version is available and should be downloaded. THEY HAVE NOT DONE SO YET. This fact alone should be paramount in making any personal decision to move from AVG 8.0 to 8.5, i.e WAIT UNTIL AVG TELL YOU TO. AVG 8.5 FREE will still be there when they do.

Comments from everybody please.
    KAS

4. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

Kas, here you will find the AVG Free 8.5 Installation File.
    Kas, if you are referring to the AVG Paid 8.5 (as well as the AVG Free 8.5), versus the 8.0, I don't find any difference between the two, except for some fixes, as detailed in the only available info at the AVG Free Forum.

The advantage in the AVG 8.5 Internet Security Suite, versus the 8.0, is the addition of the Identity Protection feature, yet IMO beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

5. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

mantra, you can download AVG 30 Day Trial Versions instead of buying right away.

6. mantra

mantra Registered Member

yes thanks
    but i don't like to install an av after uninstall and install another av

i have never used AVG
    i would like to know if it 's fast

7. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

mantra, if by fast you mean scanning a whole computer, it takes my AVG Free 8.5 about 1 hour and 20 minutes average (652,000+ total objects), even on their fast scan setting, to perform a scan. However, since every PC's configuration is different, only by testing it in your computer will you know.

Perhaps other AVG users will post their times so you can get an idea.

8. mantra

mantra Registered Member

thanks for the answer

but outside the hardware is undeniable, indisputable that some av are very fast (like nod or avira) apart from the hardware

9. Kas

Kas Registered Member

I have found that AVG on a full scan takes around 1.1/2 hours, but then so does Spybot and ST. Comodo IS takes about 45-50 mins. Well, I guess that when these things have to scan huge volumes of bytes, you must expect this.

I am very impressed with Malwarebytes, which I downloaded as a result of this thread on recommendation. A quick scan takes perhaps 20+ mins. and a full scan again about 1.1/2 hours. But it is GOOD, I like it.

In fact I find ALL my unpaid cops GOOD - Comodo IS, Spybot, Spyware Terminator, Spywareblaster, AVG 8.0 and now Malwarebytes. I also have CCleaner, Easyclean and Vundofix.

Don`t believe in paying for something when you can get a perfectly good product free. Some say you only get what you pay for - well, could be true, but who wants to fight an uneconomic battle of diminishing returns ? I sure don`t. You pay 10 bucks for the first 90% and then pay 1,000 bucks for the last 10% - no way !

I use Windows XP Home with SP3, IE7 (don`t even mention Firefox - I don`t want it near my PC) and Outlook Express 6. I do not absorb huge amounts of disc space. At present my free space is 64 GB.

KAS

10. robinb

robinb Registered Member

just another fyi
    I received an email from avg. I wanted to know for sure if AVG 8.5 for AVG Antivirus Pro and AVG antivirus with firewall will come through the "updater" in the 8.0 program and they re affirmed it will but could not give me a time period when it will happen.

Again, the AVG Identity Protection will be
    available for AVG Internet Security editions only and can be downloaded at their website and the instructions on how to do this is on my other post.

They told me once the pro is updated, the free version will follow.

robin

11. Firecat

Firecat Registered Member

Well, I downloaded and installed AVG Internet Security 8.5 and my impression is that it is one of the better releases AVG has done since the launch of the 8.0 series. As far as system load goes it is pretty much the same as always (not bad) but the resident shield's responsiveness has increased very noticeably. The PRSC module from the AVG-acquired Sana Security is working just fine too! :D

12. Zeena

Zeena Registered Member

Hi :)

My AVG 8 .. Anti-Virus & Anti-Spyware ( Paid Version ) ... Updated to 8.5 last night.

However!
    I can't actually Visibly see any difference in the two versions :oops:
    To Be Honest Though...
    I've always found AVG a bit too complicated for me .. To go poking around in the settings.
    So maybe there is a difference that I'll never notice.

The only thing I've noticed is IE7 and Firefox hanging ever so slightly :(
    But as I only got AVG 8.5 last night...
    Could be that it's still settling in :doubt:

13. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

Zeena, as robinb stated, it looks like AVG is slowly releasing 8.5 via the updater. If you look at the Installation Files, at the moment, AVG still has the 8.0.237 download link plus the newer version, yet the Update downloads shows the same 8.0 version only.

Like you, my AVG Free version 8.5.278 does not look any different than the previous 8.0, yet I find the Resident Shield more engaged in this newer version, like Firecat said, thus perhaps your perceived browsers' delay.

14. Zeena

Zeena Registered Member

Hi JRViejo :)

The hang seems to be more noticeable when I open a browser for the first time after boot up.

Firefox Hangs when Opening ... Like it's struggling to connect with the Internet :(

IE7 - Hangs when Closing :rolleyes:

Thanks! ;)

15. Green Giant

Green Giant Registered Member

I see that a program update of AVG Internet Security is available
    (avg_ipw_stf_en_85_281a144:cool:, but does this mean downloading this and installing it over the top of 8.5.276?

It is not yet available through update when right clicking on the AVG taskbar icon, yet it has been around for two days at least.

16. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

Green Giant, although you can install it over the previous version, I would wait until receiving it via the normal update. Unlike the Free, IS has more features that could complicate the installation process. That's just my opinion.

17. Green Giant

Thanks for your posting JRViejo! I will do as you advise.

18. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

19. Green Giant

I had an e-mail from AVG a few moments ago.

They advised downloading the latest AVG Internet Security 8.5 from their web site, saving the file to Desktop, installing this but choosing the Repair option (one of three choices which appear shortly after the start of the installation process), rebooting after installation and then updating via the taskbar icon.

I have now done this twice, because after AVG IS 8.5 281a1448 was installed successfully, I saw from the MajorGeeks' site that there was another program update: AVG IS 8.5 Build 283a1450, so I have now carried out the same procedure with this latest program update and all appears to be well.

20. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

Green Giant, you should be fine. The AVG Installation Files page today, shows the same 8.5.283 version you downloaded from MajorGeeks.

That Repair Option install is what's throwing some AVG users for a loop and why I recommended to wait until the normal update, however, since you were able to figure it out and all is well, kudos to you! :thumb:

21. Green Giant

No disrespect intended to your original advice, JR Viejo!

It was the detailed e-mail from AVG today which encouraged me to try the procedure which I outlined above. Thankfully it worked!

22. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

Perish the thought, Green Giant. I'm glad you have the newest version on board. Take care.

23. Firecat

Firecat Registered Member

I just received the 8.5.283 update through the AVG updater and everything's fine over here........:)

24. gery

gery Registered Member

Yes that is true here also. running fine up to now

25. Zeena

Zeena Registered Member

Hi JRViejo :)

Thanks For The - Tip Off! ;)

While my little lad had left the Desktop - To go and play with his PS3 .. I Seized My Chance!
    Rather than wait for him to be back on the Desktop ... Then hear.. :argh: " Mum " .. As the update arrived by itself.
    I decided to give - Update Now .. a Go!

8.5.283 ... Came Straight To Me :thumb:

Thanks!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.