AVG v/s NOD32

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by ankupan, Feb 25, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. solcroft

solcroft Registered Member

And which AV is currently adopting that plan, may I ask?

2. Firefighter

Firefighter Registered Member

I agree.

If I have to choose between av:s where one is considerably better against less than 6 months old nasties than the other one but will score a bit worse (less than 0.35 %) against nasties of all ages? Somehow I feel more secure by using the first one than waiting for six months to pick that nasty from my infected laptop. :D

Best regards,
    Firefighter!

3. Stan999

Stan999 Registered Member

Why would you have to choose? There are AVs that do both.

4. Firefighter

I know it already. Have you seen my Avatar? ;)

Best regards,
    Firefighter!

5. ggf31416

ggf31416 Registered Member

I agree but if you consider that all samples have the same importance regarless of the age, you can use an antivirus (with ineffective heuristics or turned off) that wasn't updated since 6 months ago and the antivirus should prevent 50-60% of the infections!!! :rolleyes: o_O :gack:

Last edited: Mar 2, 2007
  6. Firefighter

Actually you can get about the 50 % protection level by using no antivirus at all but using a good HIPS and answering to every second notification questions "Yes or Apply" and the rest notification questions "No or Deny". :D

Best regards,
    Firefighter!

7. lodore

lodore Registered Member

or you can get 100percent with common sence:D
    lodore

8. KDNeese

KDNeese Registered Member

My first question: Why do people post questions like this? Asking these "Which is better" questions is a waste of time. That's like saying, "Which is better, potatoes or dressing?" The question is asked, the arguments begin, and the potato lovers will be elaborating on how great potatoes are, all the things you can do with potatoes, etc. At the same time the stuffing lovers will be doing the same and bringing out the bad side of eating potatoes, how they are high in sugar, bad for your digestive system, etc.

The same goes for security software. Some one asks a "which is better" question, and the posts become endless with no conclusion reached. Why? Because the answer is subjective. It cannot be proven which is better. Yes, one may have a better GUI, better detection rate, better whatever...but these detection rates and whatnot are the result of controlled tests in controlled environments. They are not the result of real life nor the habits of every-day web surfers. Each of us has a different system, different accompanying software, different surfing habits, etc. What may work for someone else may not work for me. Also, for most careful web surfers, ask yourself this question: When was the last time your antiviris alerted on something in real time? I realize that some are risker than others and may have exprienced AV hits numerous times. But for those who practice safe surfing habits like myself, it may be very rare. In the last two years, I have had my AV (which is NOD32, by the way) alert on something ONE time, and that was when I went to a website that I shouldn't have, and should have known better. I can't remember the last time any of my products (AV or AS) have found something on my computer (other than a few FP's). That being the case, I have to ask myself if it really matters if my AV is better than another. Does it really matter all that much.

That being the case, each of us needs to pick the software that matches our needs. If you are an average safe surfer, don't open email attachments, and use some basic common sense, AVG is more than adequate. If you are a very risky surfer and visit bad websites, then you probably want to go with NOD32, not necessarily because of its detection rate, but because it contains some features that some other AV's don't. Also, I feel that along with Kaspersky, it is THE top knotch AV. Some may argue for Antivir, but it produces far too many FP's, which is why I quit using it and went with NOD32. However, at the same time, if you use common sense surfing habits, Antivir or Avast would also do the job quite adequately.

Which is better? Far too subjective. Which should you use? Really, there's not a whole lot of difference between any of them. We're talking a very miniscule difference between the detection rates for any of them. The main thing is, like another poster said, make sure you have a program in place like a HIPS that prevents the execution of any malware that may slip past your detection software.

Which should you use? Look at your habits, your risk factors of being infected and choose the product you feel comfortable with. Hey, most have 30-day trials, so you could try several and then go with the one you like. Like for me, I don't really feel I NEED to use NOD32. I use it because it doesn't create a drag on my system like some others I used. It works in the background and you don't even know it's there. For me, that was the deciding factor, not necessarily the decection rate or whether it was 'better' than the others. Don't get caught up in the hype, use what you feel comfortable with using. If NOD's GUI confuses you, then go with something you understand. I you don't mind learning NOD's GUI for the added protection, then do it. There's no right or wrong here. It's better to know your software well and know what you are doing than to put something in place that is not effective because you're not sure how to configure it properply. That also goes for a firewall, HIPS or any other security software you plan to use.

9. madaro

madaro Guest

I just realized what I said in my earlier post. I meant to say, I like Nod32 the best, it's installed on my primary desktop, my license for AVG Anti-Malware is installed on a second computer. I do like both of these programs.

10. Firefighter

Or even WITHOUT the Ewido module, AVG is capable to beat NOD in many areas of detection and ease of use! :D

Best regards,
    Firefighter!

11. MalwareDie

MalwareDie Registered Member

I think the test is flawed if NOD32 loses to AVG without the Ewido engine. I do believe in NOD32 slipping but not as much as av-test implies.

12. rdsu

rdsu Registered Member

Yep, at least on this test NOD32 wasn't so good...
    I'm not using it since one month ago, and my license already experied...

:)

13. ASpace

ASpace Guest

What a funny joke ! I have never heard anything funnier than this one ... :D

14. rdsu

rdsu Registered Member

Joke!? :rolleyes:

15. ASpace

ASpace Guest

If not a joke then you two must be really misunderstanding the situations and the statement "AVG is capable to beat NOD in many areas of detection and ease of use" is definitely incorrect !

16. hin123

hin123 Registered Member

yeah and still
    NOD32 84 vs AVG 77:D

17. rdsu

rdsu Registered Member

I read some areas where AVG did better than NOD32, so it's correct.

18. Firecat

Firecat Registered Member

For some reason AV-test has always shown NOD32 in a different light. I have no idea why this should be. Besides, the PC World detection rates are not so much due to NOD32 deteriorating as they are due to AVG improving. AVG improved heavily with version 7.5, time for people to accept that.

I wouldn't call AVG better than NOD, but one case where it really beats NOD32 is the trojan horse detection. NOD32 still wins out overall due to heuristics, but the truth is that AVG's protection is catching up now. Heck, Grisoft made so much progress in 2006 that rivals are beginning to take notice. Already some people are wanting to purchase Grisoft. That by itself should speak about how Grisoft has grown. ;)

AVG Anti-Malware offers excellent solid protection, which is at least on par with NOD32 (except in heuristics of course :)). Heck, even the Pro version is worth it nowadays. :)

19. Big Apple

Big Apple Frequent Poster

Have been running AVG Pro for a few weeks now and I must say.........it runs smooth, is simple to configure, updates are good. It runs lighter than Avira, at least on my system and I feel more comfortable with it than Nod32.

20. Firecat

I suggest you use AVG Anti-Malware, not AVG Pro, the US $5 price difference between AVG Pro and Anti-Malware is worth the extra protection you get. :)

21. Big Apple

Thanks for the tip! ;)

22. Firecat

One thing you should know is that the Ewido engine only works on-demand with AVG Anti-Malware if you are using Windows 98/ME. The on-access/real-time protection of the Ewido+AVG engines can only work on Windows 2000/XP/Vista. On Windows 98/ME, the real-time protection is the same as AVG Pro.

23. Big Apple

Thanks again. ;)

24. sockie

sockie Registered Member

I'm looking very closely at AVG, they have improved so much, if they built in their Antimalware (ewido?) into AVG antivirus and not continue as two seperate products, I'd buy a license right now. :eek:

25. Firecat

Umm...AVG Anti-Virus Pro = AVG Free + Spyware detection database
    AVG Anti-Malware = Integration of AVG Pro and Ewido engines into one product
    AVG Anti-Spyware = Ewido

So, I don't understand what you meant by this? o_O
    If you mean that they should integrate the Ewido engine into the free AVG antivirus, that will probably not happen due to several reasons. :)
    BTW, I don't think AVG is as good as Avira yet. Besides AVG's heuristics still are not so good at the moment. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.