AVG upgrade/problems for nod32

Discussion in 'ewido anti-spyware forum' started by yontev, Dec 15, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. yontev

yontev Registered Member

I've been running AVG ant-spyware with Nod 32. I am very happy with both. I just received an e-mail from Grisoft that they have upgraded their anti-spyware software with anti-virus capabilities as well. The e-mail says that although my current license with AVG does not run out until July, I must upgrade to this new version by December 31...as my older version will no longer receive updates. I am torn. I love Nod32 and do not want to give it up (license on it runs out in July as well), but I am aware it is not advisable to run two anti-virus software programs on one computer. Any suggestions.

-N

2. lordpake

lordpake Registered Member

Choose one, there's no other suggestion left. I assume you were offered AVG Internet Security as I was. This is in fact comparable product to Nod32.

AS for anti-spyware solutions, there are still some left. A-squared, Sunbelt Counterspy, SuperAntiSpyware are probably the most notable ones left.

3. LaFemmeMichele

LaFemmeMichele Registered Member

If you were running AVG 7.5 antispy free on demand with Nod is it ok to update to AVG 8? It says "antivrus"" now, not antispy.

Thanks for your time.

4. Tarq57

Tarq57 Registered Member

The latest AVG8 is a suite comprising AS, AV, and other stuff (too horrid for me to contemplate) and, short answer, no, it won't be compatible.
    Sorry.
    I'm about to uninstall AVG AS 7.5 for good. :(
    Plenty of good alternatives, though. :)
    SAS, A2, MBAM, even the latest Spybot.

5. LaFemmeMichele

Hello Tarq

Take a look at A squared free 4. Same situation "antivirus" now! Not familiar with MBAM? Will try to check it out!

Thanks,

M

6. Tarq57

Tarq57 Registered Member

LafemmeMichele,
    I am using A2 version 4.
    Not sure what you mean by "same situation antivirus now." Do you mean that the Ikarus engine is incorporated into A2? If so, it still should not conflict with an installed AV, see this FAQ.
    MBAM has been reported on numerous occasions to be very useful particularly against the current plague of rogue software, with names like "win antivirus 2009" (several variants, vundo-based I believe) and appears to have more than proved its worth. Small download, frequent updates, nothing to say against it.

7. LaFemmeMichele

Hi There

Did you catch the part about turning off AV scanner while running the product? And the next question's answer says it now replaces your AV. I don't want to screw around with NOD! Way complicated to setup! Not a tech! Want it nice & easy. Haven't had a chance to look into this any further. Appreciate your input, Tarq.

M

8. Tarq57

Tarq57 Registered Member

Actually, I think it's fairly normal practice to disable any resident scanner while running a manual demand scan. I do, on the odd occasions I run a full AS scan. So that being mentioned on the website isn't unusual, but it doesn't also mean that A2 replaces your AV.
    One of the Q/A says something a litle different:
    It seems to me the application is complementary, intended to be run alongside an AV, but that you might be adequately protected without one.
    This is the resident version I'm talking about, here, A2 Antimalware. The free version should never be used instead of a resident AV.

So NOD is difficult to set up, is it? I wouldn't know. I use Avast.

9. LaFemmeMichele

I've had a chance to d/l Malwarebytes. Thanks for the tip!

This is from the facts on A squared site:

Question: Does a-squared Anti-Malware replace my antivirus software?

Answer:
    Until Version 3.5:

No, a-squared Anti-Malware is a complementary program to antivirus tools. It is specialized in finding and removing Trojans, Backdoors, Spyware, Adware, Worms, Keyloggers, Bots and Dialers. Read more at the product page).

Since Version 4.0:

Yes, with the integration of a second scan engine, a-squared Anti-Malware became a full tool against all types of harmful software, including Viruses.

It doesn't use any random scan engine, but two world class products: The Ikarus Anti-Virus- and the a-squared Anti-Spyware-Engine. Independent tests confirm both top positions in the recognition of Viruses, Trojans, Backdoors, Spyware, Adware, Keyloggers, Worms, Bots, Dialers and TrackingCookies.

Tarq I'm inclined to agree with you. Adjunt!

Thanks again for Malwarebytes--like the name.

10. Tarq57

Tarq57 Registered Member

Just make sure that if you use this product instead of an AV (which I'd certainly look at with an open mind,) you use the resident (paid) and not the free, which has no resident.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.