AVG Pro or F-Prot

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by aagfr, Aug 11, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Firefighter

Firefighter Registered Member

To Pigman from Firefighter!

Sorry about a bit missleading. AntiVir beated AVG 7.0 with some 208 detections. o_O

Just adding those detectings to the logs above.

Best regards,
    Firefighter!

Last edited: Aug 15, 2004
  2. mercurie

mercurie A Friendly Creature

I do not see in this thread where this was ever answered. It is a question I have often wondered about. Especially for POP3 users or ISP email services. Can somebody help him and me out here before I show my ignorance. Thanks. :oops:

By the way I use Command AV on one of my machines and love it. Yep, website is awful, but valuable oil is found in the desert and diamonds are not easy to get out of the ground either. lol :D

3. bellgamin

bellgamin Registered Member

Are you making ClamWin your standard for mediocrity? ClamWin uses the data base from ClamAV -- the version for *nix-based computers. ClamAV is coming along very fast. Unlike ClamAV, ClamWin lacks an on-access monitor. Over at SourceForge they are seeking skilled personnel to resolve this situation. Perhaps you would like to volunteer to help. Or...:blink:

4. aagfr

aagfr Registered Member

Thanks Mercurie. I'd forgotten my own questions. Post #2 did answer, if only indirectly. But, like you, I'd be interested if someone would be willing to elaborate.

Also, I notice that F-Prot last updated on 8/10/04; is it usual for it to update relatively infrequently? Otherwise, I love how light it is on my old system, no fuss, no flashing, no beeping, just quietly doing what it is supposed to do; I hope. My startup and shutdown times are noticeably faster, too.

Re Command AV: I finally got a copy for trial (with the help offered here), I then had to email them for a password, then could not connect for any definition updates. I believe I've reluctantly given up on it.

5. Blackcat

Blackcat Registered Member

I would not worry too much about this. It can update every day at times, but sometimes there is a pause between updates. If there were some important ITW malware threats suddenly out there, they would pump out the definitions.
    They are mainly a corporate AV and from the look of their recent websites, Home Users seem even less of a priority. Always choose what you are comfortable with.

As regards the lack of an email scanner; have a look here how the RTM of F-Prot protects your email; http://www.f-prot.com/support/windows/new_user_faq.html

Basically as long as you keep your AV updated, the RTM is sufficient to protect you from email threats. You do not need a specific email scanner if you practice safe hex. A nice feature but not essential ;)

6. aagfr

aagfr Registered Member

To everyone:

Thank you for your help and courtesy. I'm glad I came to this forum, and will no doubt be back often. I wish I could make affirmative contributions here, but since my ignorance is boundless, questions and thank you's are all I have to offer.

aagfr

7. Blackcat

Blackcat Registered Member

Only for now. Most of us here, including myself, started off as newbies just like you. But stick around, absorb the knowledge and in awhile you too will be giving advice as a senior member ;)

8. Paranoid2000

Paranoid2000 Registered Member

I've been using F-Prot for Windows for a little while and have encountered the following issues:
    • You cannot set the Real Time Protector (RTP) to exclude specific files or folders (F-Prot must be the only AV lacking this feature :() which means that F-Prot can cause problems with software that writes to disk often (specifically some versions of Outpost firewall where it causes CPU usage to hit the roof). Disabling the RTP solves this;
    • The RTP process consumes 100% CPU when a game is started that takes over the screen (presumably this is DirectX related) and this continues after exiting and returning to Windows, whether the RTP is disabled or not. Only shutting it down in Task Manager corrects this;
    • Virus signature updates are large (in the order of 1-1.5MB) and therefore likely to be a problem for dialup users.
    I would therefore suggest that anyone considering it check out the trial version first - I'll most likely get another scanner and keep F-Prot for on-demand use only.

9. Arin

Arin Registered Member

dear aagfr & mercurie, sorry i overlooked your posts. the email scanner isn't that much necessary. always remember that any program has to be executed from your computer. even it is some attachment sent to you by your friend in Turkmenistan. your email client has to save it to your disk before running it. so when your have F-Prot realtime running in background it will pick up the bug. thats why the email scanner component is not necessary. but still a lot of companies are bundling email scanner just to provide you prior detection. this is just like scanning inside an archive. when your On-Demand scanner scans inside an archive it detects a virus and warns you in advance. but eventually when you'll decompress it, the realtime scanner will also warn you about the virus. so this way you'll get a warning in advance. email scanning feature is nice but not necessary.

i think F-Prot has almost everything. the only thing that bugs me is the lack of incremental update support. as someone already mentioned it, for dial-up connection its a headache.

dear Firefighter, as the topic of the thread can you give us the full-fledged battle between AVG Pro and F-Prot? thank you.

10. Firefighter

To AMRX from Firefighter!

Unfortunately I can't help you more than there were in my posts before in this topic. I was unable to save the scanlog from AVG 7.0 to notepad, where I usually counted manually each archive to were detected.

If you look that corrected summary posts of mine in this topic, you'll see the detectings in each main category plus detected backdoor & trojan numbers! As total detectings, F-Prot 3.15 scored 1797, Command AV 4.91 scored 1762 and AVG 7.0.262 scored 1380, but that AVG detections number should be some tens of detectings smaller, because AVG reported more than one infections in some of my infected archives.

Best regards,
    Firefighter!

11. Arin

Arin Registered Member

thanks a lot man. sorry i haven't used AVG Pro recently. the only solution comes into my mind is taking a screenshot but it is not good incase of scrolled report. have you tried to open the scanlog by notepad after saving it? sometimes weird extensions have pure ASCII strings inside and notepad shows them all.

12. Firefighter

To AMRX from Firefighter!

If I remember right, that ASCII stuff was there with AVG too!

Best regards,
    Firefighter!

13. >>The RTP process consumes 100% CPU when a game is started that takes over the screen (presumably this is DirectX related) and this continues after exiting and returning to Windows, whether the RTP is disabled or not. Only shutting it down in Task Manager corrects this;<<

I haven't had this problem at all.

14. ellison

ellison Registered Member

AVG7 uses the same virus defs and engine as the free AVG6.The only main advantage is the email scanner which in many circles is just a marketing ploy , as the resident shield would safe gaurd you anyway.If you are going to buy a virus scanner and pay for updates ,then it would make sense to buy a scanner with better detection rates of both viruses and trojans than avg.If you want the best of both worlds then personally id use avg free (though imo avast is better) as a resident scanner , and use escan free virus utility (uses kaspersky engine and virus defs and cleans though its an on demand scanner) .Escan has a better detection rate of trojans ,malware and viruses than most avs.For most avg free is sufficient , and for any suspicious files or weekly scans escan surpasses most.

15. Firefighter

To ellison from Firefighter!

If that's true with AVG 7, I'll try AVG 6 free, where I was able to save a notepad scanlog and check really detected infected archives. There is still one advantage for AVG 6 left, some 7 days newer updates, but I think that it doesn't matter so much when you have over 2000 nasties.

I'll be back, after my kids can give me some PC time!

Best regards,
    Firefighter!

16. Firefighter

To everyone from Firefighter!

Just adding corrected AVG results counted from AVG 6 notepad's scanlog and Avast 4.1 Home stats too!

Best regards,
    Firefighter!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.