AVG Pro 7?

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by Mannaggia, Mar 2, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mannaggia

Mannaggia Registered Member

I started out using AVG free as a back up to NAV. I removed NAV last month and running AVG as my main AV. I am thinking of purchasing AVG Pro 7. I would like to get some feedback from anyone who uses/used AVG Pro 7 to help me decide whether to purchase it or not. The $33 for a two year license seems like a pretty good deal. But still would like to know if the program is worth it.

2. subratam

subratam Registered Member

Hi mannagia,

Since I first used AVG, when I checked the free version and then I bought AVG pro 7.

I have always said AVG as an Antivirus is quite better than its counterparts.
    and yes the price is quite good too.
    I myself am happy with AVG 7

3. ellison64

ellison64 Registered Member

The only advantages you get with AVG7 over the free version is that 7 has a better email scanner (mail is sent to avg server before reaching your pc),whereas avg6free just scans your inbox after the mail has arrived.You also get more control over tests (you can set up your own) and shedulings better.Detection wise there is no difference between the two.AVG7 uses more resources than 6 which may be of importance if you are using an older OS.Personally I think avast free edition is as good as AVG7 (it also includes the email server scanner)although its not as fast scanning as AVG.
    me

4. Mannaggia

Thanks subratum and ellison64, that helps. I thought about it last night after posting here, and now that I have read your responses, I've decided to go ahead and purchase AVG Pro 7. I like the free version, so I feel why not support the company that puts out a free AV product that anyone can use.

5. Comp01

Comp01 Registered Member

I dont see why everyone dislikes AVG free/AVG 7 Pro, It is a very good Antivirus, I've actually used AVG since before I even got into securing my PC (I did have enough sense to know I needed an AntiVirus) And I've used AVG free for about 3-4 years, and I've yet to get a single virus, I've had warnings popup about certain files/emails that contained viruses, but never got infected, I trust AntiViruses I've used for a while...

6. subratam

AVG is free so maybe some thinks its not upto standard or like wise... Its too good and now that I use AVG 7, man.. its got even better.
    I too have been surfing a lot.. and I am on 24 hours, I only got only problem since now and that is hardware problem(RAM problem), lol.
    AVG.. 7 man... IT ROCKS

7. Comp01

Comp01 Registered Member

AVG is not only good, but its very light on resources (Atleast on every PC I've used it on) compared to every other AV I've used.

8. subratam

and ofcourse too frequent updates... the list continues

9. Mannaggia

Just thought I would post an update. I've been running AVG Pro 7 since Tuesday, 3/2/04, and I'm really happy with it. Virus updates every day so far. I was happy with AVG free, but very glad I purchased AVG Pro 7. *puppy*

10. subratam

Hi Mannaggia,

Nice news and was expected :D,

Have a problem free web-life( and else where too :) )...

good day

11. Mannaggia

Thank you subratam for the well wishes. That was very nice of you. :) And the same to you.

Have a great day,
    Mannaggia

12. RAV

RAV Guest

I am using a trial version of AVG Pro 7 and I am impressed! Easily straightforward installation on Windows XP and MS Outlook 2003, great interface, very light on resources, and doesn't slow down my PC. While many run down AVG, I think other vendors should take notice of these features that AVG has incorporated so well IMO.

13. Robyn

Robyn Registered Member

I was testing my firewall today with various online scans but noted that when I used the Symantec security check everything was stealthed which was good but they stated that I was not running and AV :eek: I am running the full AVG Pro v7 and have been for many months but something in the Symantec check does not recoginse this! I can asssure them I am running an AV and fiully updated which is not slowing down my computer as NAV did when I ran this.

14. RAV

RAV Guest

Robyn,

Think about it. Symantec makes Norton Antivirus. Do you think that they are going to recognize AVG and give it their stamp of approval. They want to scare you into buying their AV. I would ignore such a warning with any AV that you have installed.

15. subratam

hmmm.... thats strange but huh... not unexpected. Symantec will realise, if not already have realised, they are OVER-RATED and AVG and others like Avast, Nod have not arrived in the scene but have already made too steady progress. Symantec would have to buck up in lots of ways to get into competition, as I think in very near future... if not, again,.. already.. it would not be considered amongst best AVs. We are talking about AVG 7 here... and again I am too happyyyyy with AVG.. Its great. and the more I see , I hear and I read along... it just gives the vote of confidence

16. Robyn

Robyn Registered Member

Thankfully I have ignored it but I feel if someone who was not familiar with their AV may be caught by this very deceptive report. AVG is running and well up to date on both my computers ;)

17. F4

F4 Guest

In my opinion, AVG 7 is a great AV cause the following reasons.

1. 100% detection rate on ITW malware ( according to ICSA Labs tests )
    2. Auto and truly incremental update that super fast
    3. Super lite on resources and not slow down a machine
    4. E-mail filtering can remove all worm's file attachment to a quarantine
    if you fill it correctly and cover all files type enoung, no need to update a signature when it comes to a worm outbreak

If you don't care about AV that almost detect everything in the world AVG 7 is your good choice.

18. Mannaggia

Just something to add. I'm running AVG Pro 7. Last night I went to the Panda site and ran their security check. I'm not knocking Panda, because I think it is a very good AV, but like Symantec, it also said that I was not running an AV. They want to sell you their product, so they are not going to tell you that a competing product you are using is doing the job.

19. marindavid

marindavid Guest

I found, too, that the 'free security checks' offered by both Semantec and MacAfee, failed to recognize the AVG 7 Pro. Not a coincidence, I am sure. Proprietory interest is what motivates these 'free' scans... they are, after all, simply marketing tools.
    Just to add a personal experience to all of what has been said about AVG...
    I first tried the free version after the Norton programs I had been running created major problems when I tried to update to NSW2004. Something became so hopelessly corrupted that I needed to remove every Norton file and registry reference I could find. The AVG worked great and the Pro version is, in my judgement, well worth the fee.
    Also, whatever caused the corruption on the Symantec programs (NAV2003 failed to work correctly as well) caused a problem with the ISS Bl :DackIce I had been using, without problems, for several years. I replaced the BlackIce with ZoneAlarmPro.
    Glad to report that having devoided myself (and my DELL 8250 with XP Home Edition) of both the Symantec and ISS products, everything is running fine!
    AVG seems to be thorough and I enjoy the user interface and the options and control it offers me.
    I recommend it heartily .... as I do the ZoneAlarm Pro.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.