AVG LinkScanner... Needed?

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by raven211, Jul 2, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Someone

Someone Registered Member

AVG LinkScanner is a completely free product.

2. lordpake

lordpake Registered Member

And it's exploit detector, not otherwise bad/questionable content detector that tells you about site's spamming etc. behaviour (a la Siteadvisor/WOT), or what sort of files it hosts.

Of course it marks pages good if they do not contain exploits ...

(Happily using AVG LS myself, alongside SA/WOT)

3. InfinityAz

InfinityAz Registered Member

Has anyone had connectivity issues with AVG LinkScanner and Firefox? If I'm running Firefox for a while, I either will get network timeouts or network connection errors. If I disable LinkScanner, no problems.

4. firzen771

firzen771 Registered Member

nope never had that prob when i had linkscanner installed although i dont have it installed anymore.

5. Someone

Someone Registered Member

I had the same problem.

6. lordpake

I too experience those network timeouts; it seems to be browser-independent issue.

Restarting Active Surf Shield resolves the issue (for a while) :)

7. m00nbl00d

m00nbl00d Registered Member

I was told by AVG that it also checks against a blacklist of malicious domains (non-exploit domains). Of course, not its main targets. The main targets for LinkScanner are exploits.

I guess that nothing is useful, until it becomes useful. LinkScanner is one of those, I guess. And, so are many others.

8. Page42

Page42 Registered Member

Been meaning to ask you, what exactly do you mean by a waste of compatibility?

9. raven211

raven211 Registered Member

I've had conflicts with other software it seems, or just a failed installation. What struck me was that it didn't fail to load at first - it suddenly just did, and it seemed to be in conjunction with installing MSE. I got unsure myself on why it's failing, I simply can't remember.

10. Acadia

Acadia Registered Member

There is another one of these type products that some of you may be interested in. It is called LinkExtend and it includes eight of these products all rolled into one, AVG is not among them. Also, I believe it is only for Firefox. Included are the big names, SiteAdvisor, MyWot, and a few others. It actually uses all eight simultaneously to check in advance for you when surfing. Even has a feature that will block you from going somewhere it suspects then gives you the option to go there anyway if you want.

I tried this product some time ago and it works but it slowed down my surfing by a second or two for each site I went to; I guess it takes that long for all the "advisors" to report back to it then for it to report back to you. But if you don't mind the delay, this product did work. It also had a few other features but I don't remember what they were. This product being rather new has a tremendous potential, in my opinion, if they can somehow speed it up a bit.

Like I said, only for Firefox and does not include the AVG product.

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/10777
    http://www.linkextend.com/

Acadia

11. raven211

I've seen this one, but I think it's just great you're posting it in this type of topic so that everyone can take advantage of the information. ;) If it was available for Opera, I would possibly use it, if adding significant protection to my browsing and not just safety-ratings - without slowing my browsing speeds down.

12. m00nbl00d

m00nbl00d Registered Member

Hmm... I see no problems between MSE and Linkscanner. Maybe something else conflicting there?

13. raven211

Nah, but thanks anyway. I'm sure it was not MSE by now, but it did happen around the time that I installed MSE and had LinkScanner on my system. ;)

14. dell boy

dell boy Registered Member

for people using opera, get the stay secure widget, tells you what exploits browsers have unpatched, currently ie has 1 security hole unpatched, firefox/opera and safari are fine

15. progress

progress Guest

Is AVG LinkScanner also bundled with Adware like AVG Anti-Virus Free? o_O

16. firzen771

firzen771 Registered Member

it wasnt last time i tried it :doubt:

17. lordpake

There is the optional toolbar. Which is prechecked by the way, So one needs to pay attention when installing.

Whether this is adware or not is debatable, however it is not needed.

18. Toby75

Toby75 Registered Member

It's just the yahoo toolbar.

19. progress

progress Guest

I noticed the same here too, this behaviour is unacceptable :(

20. cheater87

cheater87 Registered Member

Linkscanner marks most dangerous sites as safe.

21. progress

progress Guest

robinb/JRViejo: Can you forward this problem to AVG please? :oops:

22. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

ance, first and foremost, I don't work for AVG so I don't have a direct line to them. robinb is an AVG reseller and unless one of her customers has a similar issue, perhaps AVG will not talk to her. Hopefully, robinb will see this thread and possibly reply, provided she has seen the same problem.

If you or InfinityAz have the paid version of AVG, you have free Technical Support and should take advantage of that, by contacting AVG now.

If both of you use the free version, there's an AVG LinkScanner forum where you can post questions (read the stickies on how to post). Also, a review of their LinkScanner FAQs, might shed some light on the problem.

I don't use the LinkScanner, nor the Security Toolbar, and of course, I'm not experiencing this issue with Firefox. Sorry I can't be of help.

Last edited: Sep 22, 2009
  23. lordpake

Try posting in AVG forums. After posting there about this issue I was contacted by tech who had me collect some log files.

I am not saying they do this to everyone, however posting there that you still continue experiencing this issue could help :)

What comes to me, I got tired of this issue and removed the software in question for a while.

24. simisg

simisg Registered Member

In these days all browsers have web shields for bad links internet explorer has also antivirus..... smartguard. Linkscanner is an a extra protection but slowdown things..... if you have a good behavior blocker or hips you dont need anything else. The faster is WOT (im using it).

25. lordpake

WOT is not exploit link scanner.

It's community reputation tool. That may or may not be entirely accurate all the time

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.